The Forest Service Tribal Relations Program is directed by a number of policies, executive orders, and statutes.
U.S. Forest Service
- Forest Service Manual (FSM) Chapter 1560 - State, Tribal, County, and Local Agencies; Public and Private Organizations; Amendment No.: 1500-2012-1; Effective Date: July 18, 2012 (.doc, 302 KB)
- Forest Service Handbook (FSH) 1509.13, Chapter 10 - Consultation with Tribes; Interim Directive No.: 1509.13-2012-1; Effective Date: July 17, 2012 (.doc, 79 KB)
U.S. Department of Agriculture
- USDA Departmental Regulation on Consultation (PDF, 110 KB)
- Departmental Regulation 1350-001, September 11, 2008 (PDF, 39 KB)
- Departmental Regulation 1340-007, March 14, 2008 (PDF, 597 KB)
Tribal Forest Protection Act
- FSH 2409.19 - Renewable Resources Handbook, Chapter 60 - Stewardship Contracting, Amendment No. 2409.19-2008-7 (.doc, 86 KB)
- USDA Forest Service Tribal Forest Protection Act (TFPA) Briefing Paper (PDF, 75 KB)
- Tribal Forest Protection Act Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 15 KB)
The Farm Bill
- Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-234, "The Farm Bill")
- Forest Service Manual (FSM) 1500, External Relations, Chapter 1560, State, Tribal, County, and Local Agencies; Public and Private Organizations; Interim Directive No. 1560-2010-1 (.doc, 102 KB) - interim directive for implementing Sections 8103 and 8106 of the “2008 Farm Bill” regarding reburial sites on National Forest System land, reburial, and prohibition on disclosure.
- United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service 36 CFR Part 261, Prohibitions in Areas Designated by Order; Closure of National Forest System Lands To Protect Privacy of Tribal Activities - final rule implementing Sections 8102 and 8104 of the “2008 Farm Bill”.
- Forest Service Handbook (FSH), FSH 2409.18 - Timber Sale Preparation Handbook, Chapter 80 - Uses of Timber Other than Commercial Timber Sales, Special Forest Products - Forest Botanical Products, Interim Directive No. 2409.18-2012-2 (.doc, 76 KB) - interim directive for granting trees, portions of trees, or forest products to federally recognized Indian Tribes free of charge for non-commercial traditional and cultural purposes per Section 8105 of the “2008 Farm Bill”.
Indian Financing Act
- Indian Financing Act of 1974 (25 U.S.C. § 1544) Section 504
- Forest Service Manual (FSM) 1500, External Relations, Chapter 1563.01f - Contracting and Cooperative Agreements with Tribes (.doc)
- Forest Service Manual (FSM) 2000, National Forest Resource Management, Chapter 2020 - Ecological Restoration and Resilience, Interim Directive No. 2020-2011-1 (.doc, 114 KB) - interim directive for using ecological restoration to sustainably manage National Forest System lands.
- Consultation Documentation Form: PDF Format, 12 KB; Microsoft Word format, 28 KB
- Questions and Answers (PDF, 36 KB)
Direction Not Available Yet
- National Forest Planning Rule
- Roadless Rule
- Executive Order 13007 “Indian Sacred Sites” (PDF, 46 KB)
- Executive Order 13175 “Consultation and Coordination with Indian Tribal Governments” (PDF, 142 KB)
- Executive Memo, April 29, 1994 “Government-to-Government Relationship” (PDF, 55 KB)
- Executive Memo, September 23, 2004 “Government-to-Government Relationship” (PDF, 126 KB)
- Farm Bill: Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (Public Law 110-234) (PDF, 17 KB)
- Tribal Forest Protection Act of 2004 (Public Law 108-278, July 22, 2004) (PDF, 32 KB)
- Healthy Forest Restoration Act (HFRA) (Section 303 of Public Law 108-148, December 3, 2003) (PDF, 99 KB)
- National Indian Forest Resources Management Act (NIFRMA) (Public Law 101-630, November 28, 1990) (PDF, 59 KB)
- American Indian Religious Freedom Act (AIRFA) (Public Law 103-344, October 6, 1994) (PDF, 21 KB)
- Archaeological Resources Protection Act (Public Law 96-95, October 31, 1979) (PDF, 242 KB)
- Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA) (Public Law 101-601, November 16, 1990) (PDF, 190 KB)