The Challis - Yankee Fork Ranger District office is located in Challis, ID. All
maps and permits can be purchased out of Challis and if you need
to arrange to meet a specialist please phone the Challis office
to be forwarded to their extension.
HC 63 Box 1669
Challis, ID 83226
|| Points of Interest || Bonanza
Birds || Gold
The Challis - Yankee Fork Ranger District is one of six districts that
comprise the Salmon-Challis National Forest. The Challis - Yankee Fork District
administers and oversees over 800,000 acres of land, from high desert
sage to pristine mountain meadows. These lands are the gateway to
the largest wilderness area in the lower 48 states, the Frank Church
River of No Return Wilderness area.
This district has 590 miles of trails and 112 developed camping
Because of its historic origins, the Challis - Yankee Fork District has been
designated the Home of the Land of the Yankee Fork Historic Area.
Each year, thousands of visitors, from around the world, enjoy the
diverse recreational opportunities that the Challis - Yankee Fork Ranger District
offers. Many visit the Custer and Bonanza ghost towns and the Yankee Fork Gold Dredge for the museums,
tours, and interpretive presentations.
Other uses administered by the Challis - Yankee Fork Ranger District include
grazing, mining, and wood cutting.
Free guided and self-guided walking tours are available Memorial Day
- Labor Day during business hours. The School house is the museum
with gifts and refreshments available at the Empire Saloon during
the summer season. Custer was founded in early 1879 by gold speculators.
Economically supported by the operations of the Lucky Boy and Black
mines, Custer reached its peak population of 600 in 1896. For
more information Location
Yankee Fork Gold Dredge
Yankee Fork Herald 1879