Stanley G. Kitchen
735 North 500 East
Provo, UT 84606
Contact Stanley G. Kitchen
I conduct research on historical and current disturbance processes and their effects on the composition, structure and stability of shrublands, woodlands, and forests of the Central Intermountain Region (USA). Studies include:1. Mult-century fire regime and forest reconstructions of Utah and eastern Nevada uplands.2. Fire-vegetation interactions for mountain sagebrush communities.3. Long-term interacting effects of livestock grazing practices, invasive weeds and climate variability on cold-desert ecosystems.I investigate intra-specific variation in life-history attributes for widely-adapted grass, forb and shrub species from the Intermountain West. Attributes of interest include: reproductive potential, mechanisms for seed germination regulation, requirements for seedling establishment and plant longevity.I collaborate in the testing and development of native plant germplasm for use in restoration plantings.
My interests are to use knowledge of past disturbance patterns and vegetation dynamics and their interactions to inform the development of present and future wildland management strategies; improve understanding of interactions between cronic disturbance processes (such as livestock grazing), invasive weeds and climate variability and change; and provide tools (including plant materials) for restoring functional, resilient plant communities.
Successful management and restoration strategies require a thorough understanding of natural disturbance regimes and their effects on vegetation. Fire histories provide a means to describe and quantify variation in fire regimes from past eras at various scales of time and space and to assess the ecological effects of current departures from historical conditions.For management and restoration strategies to be successful into the future, improved understanding is needed of the interactions of altered patterns of disturbance, invasive species and climate change.
Why This Research is Important
I have explored within-species variation in seed dormancy and germination regulation for several widely adapted perennial forb, grass and shrub speces with numerous publications.I co-led a program to develop standardized protocols for testing seed purity, viability and germinability for numerous forb, grass and shrub species important for wildland restoration plantings.My work contributed substatially to the release of 'Anatone' bluebunch wheatgrass and Maple Grove' Lewis flax gerplasms for use in restoration plantings.
- Utah State University, BS Secondary Ed/Biology, 1980
- Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, MS Horticulture, 1988
- Brigham Young University Provo, Utah, Ph.D. Wildlife and Wildland Conservation, 2010
Featured Publications & Products
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2010. Historic fire regimes of eastern Great Basin (USA) mountains reconstructed from tree rings.
- Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Brown, Peter M.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Weber, Marc H. 2011. Multicentury fire and forest histories at 19 sites in Utah and eastern Nevada.
- Brown, Peter M.; Heyerdahl, Emily K.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Weber, Marc H. 2008. Climate effects on historical fires (1630-1900) in Utah.
- Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Mudge, Joann; McArthur, E. Durant. 2008. Origin of the flax cultivar 'Appar' and its position within the Linum perenne complex.
- McArthur, E. Durant; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Uresk, Daniel W.; Mitchell, J. E. 2000. Applicability of Montreal Process Criterion 2: Productive capacity--to rangeland sustainability.
Publications & Products
- Richardson, Bryce A.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Pendleton, Burton K.; Germino, Matthew J.; Rehfeldt, Gerald E.; Meyer, Susan E. 2014. Adaptive responses reveal contemporary and future ecotypes in a desert shrub.
- Moran, M. Susan; Ponce-Campos, Guillermo E.; Huete, Alfredo; McClaran, Mitchel P.; Zhang, Yongguang; Hamerlynck, Erik P.; Augustine, David J.; Gunter, Stacey A.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Peters, Debra P. C.; Starks, Patrick J.; Hernandez, Mariano. 2014. Functional response of U.S. grasslands to the early 21st-century drought.
- Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Cibils, Andres F. 2014. Humans in changing shrubland ecosystems.
- Nelson, Zachary J.; Weisberg, Peter J.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2014. Influence of climate and environment on post-fire recovery of mountain big sagebrush.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2014. Learning to live with cheatgrass: Giving up or a necessary paradigm shift?.
- McArthur, E. Durant; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2013. Desert Experimental Range: Annotated bibliography.
- Campos, Guillermo E. Ponce; Moran, M. Susan; Huete, Alfredo; Zhang, Yongguang; Bresloff, Cynthia; Huxman, Travis E.; Eamus, Derek; Bosch, David D.; Buda, Anthony R.; Gunter, Stacey A.; Scalley, Tamara Heartsill; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McClaran, Mitchel P.; McNab, W. Henry; Montoya, Diane S.; Morgan, Jack A.; Peters, Debra P. C.; Sadler, E. John; Seyfried, Mark S.; Starks, Patrick J. 2013. Ecosystem resilience despite large-scale altered hydroclimatic conditions.
- Zhang, Yongguang; Moran, M. Susan; Nearing, Mark A.; Campos, Guillermo E. Ponce; Huete, Alfredo R.; Buda, Anthony R.; Bosch, David D.; Gunter, Stacey A.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McNab, W. Henry; Morgan, Jack A.; McClaran, Mitchel P.; Montoya, Diane S.; Peters, Debra P.C.; Starks, Patrick J. 2013. Extreme precipitation patterns and reductions of terrestrial ecosystem production across biomes.
- McArthur, E. Durant; Richardson, Bryce A.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2013. Great Basin Experimental Range: Annotated bibliography.
- Morris, C.; Morris, L. R.; Leffler, A. J.; Holifield Collins, C. D.; Forman, A. D.; Weltz, M. A.; Kitchen, S. G. 2013. Using long-term datasets to study exotic plant invasions on rangelands in the western United States.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2012. Historical fire regime and forest variability on two eastern Great Basin fire-sheds (USA).
- Friggens, Megan M.; Warwell, Marcus V.; Chambers, Jeanne C.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2012. Modeling and predicting vegetation response of western USA grasslands, shrublands, and deserts to climate change (Chapter 1).
- Graham, John H.; Duda, Jeffrey J.; Brown, Michelle L.; Kitchen, Stanley; Emlen, John M.; Malol, Jagadish; Bankstahl, Elizabeth; Krzysik, Anthony J.; Balbach, Harold; Freeman, D. Carl. 2012. The effects of drought and disturbance on the growth and developmental instability of loblolly pine (Pinus taeda L.).
- Wambolt, Carl L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Fisina, Michael R.; Sowell, Bok; Keigley, Richard B.; Palacios, Patsy; Robinson, Jill. 2011. Proceedings of the 15th wildland shrub symposium; June 17-19, 2008; Bozeman, MT.
- Monaco, Thomas A.; Schupp, Eugene W.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Palacios, Patsy K. 2011. Proceedings of the 16th Wildland Shrub Symposium: Threats to Shrubland Ecosystem Integrity; 2010 May 18-20 Logan, UT.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2010. An 800-year fire history.
- Wells, Gail; Hayes, Deborah; Krause, Katrina; Bartuska, Ann; LeVan-Green, Susan; Anderson, Jim; Gough, Tivoli; Adams, Mary; Schuler, Thomas; Kolka, Randy; Sebestyen, Steve; Kenefic, Laura; Brissette, John; Stout, Susan; Kanoti, Keith; Swanson, Fred; Greene, Sarah; Herring, Margaret; Ritchie, Martin; Skinner, Carl; Lisle, Tom; Keppeler, Elizabeth; Reid, Leslie; Wohlegemuth, Peter; Kitchen, Stanley; McCaughey, Ward; Guldin, Jim; Bragg, Don; Shelton, Michael; Loftis, David; Greenberg, Cathryn; Murphy, Julia. 2009. Experimental forests and ranges : 100 years of research success stories.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2008. Cercocarpus Kunth: mountain-mahogany.
- Keane, Robert E.; Agee, James K.; Fule, Peter; Keeley, Jon E.; Key, Carl; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Miller, Richard; Schulte, Lisa A. 2008. Ecological effects of large fires on US landscapes: benefit or catastrophe?.
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Carlson, Stephanie L. 2008. Great Basin cold desert shrublands and the Desert Experimental Range.
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Monsen, Stephen B. 2008. Kochia Roth: kochia.
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Monaco, Thomas A.; Vernon, Jason, comps. 2008. Proceedings-Shrublands under fire: disturbance and recovery in a changing world; 2006 June 6-8; Cedar City, UT.
- Kitchen, Stanley G. 2008. Shrublands under fire: Disturbance and recovery in a changing world.
- Pendleton, Rosemary L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; McArthur, E. Durant; Mudge, Joann E. 2008. The 'Appar' flax release: Origin, distinguishing characteristics, and use; and a native alternative.
- Whittaker, Alison; Roundy, Bruce; Chambers, Jeanne; Meyer, Susan; Blank, Robert; Kitchen, Stanley; Korfmacher, John. 2008. The effect of herbaceous species removal, fire and cheatgrass (Bromus tectorum) on soil water availability in sagebrush steppe.
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; McArthur, E. Durant. 2007. Big and black sagebrush landscapes [Chapter 5].
- Sosebee, Ronald E.; Wester, David B.; Britton, Carlton M.; McArthur, E. Durant; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2007. Proceedings: Shrubland dynamics -- fire and water.
- McArthur, E. Durant; Kitchen, Stanley G. 2007. Shrubland ecosystems: Importance, distinguishing characteristics, and dynamics.
- Monsen, Stephen B.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Memmott, Kelly; Shaw, Nancy; Pellant, Mike; Young, Stanford; Ogle, Dan; St. John, Loren. 2003. Notice to release Anatone germplasm bluebunch wheatgrass (selected class natural population).
- Kitchen, Stanley G.; Jorgensen, Gary L. 2001. Winterfat decline and halogeton spread in the Great Basin.
- Monsen, Stephen B.; Kitchen, Stanley G. 1994. Proceedings-ecology and management of annual rangelands; 1992 May 18-21; Boise, ID.