Forest Inventory & Analysis
507 25th Street
Ogden, UT 84401-2450
Paul Patterson - Mathematical Statistician
Interior West Forest Inventory and Analysis
2150-A Centre Ave, Suite 350
Fort Collins, CO 80526-8121
- Ph.D in Statistics, Colorado State University, 2006
- Ph.D in Mathematics, Oregon State University, 1987
- B.S. in Mathematics, University of Oregon, 1981
Primary responsibility is to conduct consultations with individuals from IW-FIA. Although most consultations are with individuals in the Techniques and Analysis group, I also consult with individuals from the Information Management and Data Acquisition groups. The consultations can involve: 1) assisting the clients in stating the problem in a precise form; 2) determining the appropriate techniques to solve the problem; 3) explaining the solution and the techniques involved in terms the clients can understand; 4) if the solution is not published, then develop statistical techniques, derive equations or write computer programs as needed; 5) assisting the clients in executing the solution and if necessary assist in moving experimental solutions into production mode. I also consult with the national FIA program and with outside groups. A general areas of interest are finite and infinite sampling strategies for forest and rangeland inventories; natural resource monitoring. Some of the current projects are: for modeled variables, incorporating modeling error into the estimated variance, with a specific application to biomass estimation from space-based Lidar; deriving the variance and estimated variance for an unbiased estimator in the presence of nonresponse; verifying or establishing the statistical properties of certain endogenous post-stratified estimators; deriving the estimators, variance of the estimators and estimated variance for photo-based estimates of natural resources from large scale photography.
With collaborators assessed the impacts of minimum within-strata and total sample sizes for post-stratification and made recommendations for the within-strata and total sample sizes.
With a collaborator explored the information forest inventory data can produce regarding forest types that were not sampled and developed the equations necessary to define upper confidence bounds on not-sampled forest types; this is relevant to creating mid-level vegetation maps by assisting in the development of statistically defensible map units.
Working with a biologist used quantile regression to identify upper confidence bounds on the amount of pinyon-juniper woodlands that provide security cover, thermal cover and suitable amount of big sagebrush forage for mule deer in Utah.
Along with several collaborators coordinated a pilot exploring aspects of combining the National Resource Inventory (NRCS-USDA) and Forest Inventory and Analysis (USFS-USDA) to form a rangeland monitoring program.
In response to a lawsuit, constructed statistically defensible confidence intervals for the proportion of area within the Forestland of the Targhee National Forest that is old growth and the proportion of either late seral or old growth.
Why This Research is Important
The proper use of statistical techniques is essential in order for managers to make informed decisions and the public to believe the conclusions of research.
Most Significant Publications
- Westfall, J.A., Patterson, P.L., Coulston, J.W. (2011) Post-stratification estimation: With-in strata and total sample size recommendations, Can. Jour. For. Res. 41:1130-1139
- Witt, Chris; Patterson, Paul L. (2011) Big sagebrush in pinyon-juniper woodlands: Using forest inventory and analysis data as a management tool for quantifying and monitoring mule deer habitat. In: Wambolt, Carl L.; Kitchen, Stanley G.; Fisina, Michael R.; Sowell, Bok; Keigley, Richard B.; Palacios, Patsy; Robinson, Jill, comps. Proceedings of the 15th wildland shrub symposium; June 17-19, 2008; Bozeman, MT. Natural Resources and Environmental Issues. 16: Article 27. Available at: http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/nrei/vol16/iss1/27
- Patterson, P.L., and Finco, M. (2009) Calculation of Upper Confidence Bounds on Not-sampled Vegetation Types Using a Systematic Grid Sample: An Application to Map Unit Definition for Existing Vegetation Maps, In: McWilliams, Will; Moisen, Gretchen; Czaplewski, Ray, comps. 2009. Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Symposium 2008, October 21-23 2008; Park City, UT. Proc. RMRS-P-56CD. Fort Collins, Co: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 1 CD.
- Westfall, J.A. and Patterson, P.L. (2008). Measurement variability error for estimates of volume change. Can. Jour. For. Res., 37, 2201-2210.
- Blackard, J., Finco, M., Helmer, E., Holden, G., Hoppus, M., Jacobs, D., Lister, A., Moisen, G., Nelson, M., Riemann, R., Ruefenacht, D., Salajanu, D., Weyermann, D., Winterberger, K., Brandeis, T., Czaplewski, R., McRoberts, R., Patterson, P., and Tymcio, R. (2008) Mapping U.S. forest biomass using nationwide forest inventory data and moderate resolution information. Remote Sensing of Environment, 112 1658-1677.
- Hannig, J., Iyer, H., and Patterson, P.L. (2006). Fiducial generalized confidence intervals. Jour. of the Amer. Stat. Assoc. 101 (473): 254-269.
- Patterson, P.L. (2006). Generalized Inference for Mixed Linear Models. Dissertation, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO.
- Bechtold, W.A. and Patterson P.L. Editors. (2005). The enhanced Forest Inventory and Analysis program-national sampling design and estimation procedures. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-80. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station.
- Patterson, P.L., and Reams, G.A. (2005). Combining panels for Forest Inventory and Analysis estimation. In: The enhanced Forest Inventory and Analysis program-national sampling design and estimation procedures. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-80. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Southern Research Station.
- Czaplewski, R., and Patterson, P. (2003). Classification accuracy for stratification with remotely sensed data. Forest Science, 49 (3) 402–408.
- Williams, M., and Patterson, P. (2003). Comparison of area estimation techniques for established surveys using remotely sensed and ground data. Forest Science, 49 (3) 392–400.
- Williams, M., Patterson, P., and Mower, H. (2003). Comparison of ground sampling methods for estimating canopy cover, Forest Science. 49 (2) 235–245.
- Patterson, P. and Williams, M. (2003). Effects of registration errors between remotely sensed and ground data on estimators of forest area. Forest Science, 49 (1), 110–118.
- Iyer, H., Patterson, P. and Malm, W.C. (2000). Sampling duration calculations. Jour. Air Waste Mang., 50 (5), 888–893.
- Iyer, H., Patterson, P. and Malm, W.C. (2000). Trends in the extremes of sulfur concentration distributions. Jour. Air Waste Mang., 50 (5), 802–808.
- Patterson, P., Iyer, H., Sisler, J., and Malm, W.C. (2000). An analysis of the yearly changes in sulfur concentrations at various national parks in the United States. Jour. Air Waste Mang., 50 (5), 790–801.
- Patterson, P.L. (1994). Involutions on algebras arising from locally compact groups. Proc. of the Amer. Math. Soc., 121 (3), 739–745.
- Patterson, P., and Randolph, T. (1994). Semigroups affiliated with algebras of operators. Studia Mathematica, 108 (1) 87–102.
- Patterson, P. (1992). Characterization of algebras arising from locally compact groups. Trans. of the Amer. Math. Soc., 329 (2), 489–506.
- Patterson, P. (1987). A Characterization of the Algebras for a Locally Compact Group. Ph.D. Thesis, University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon.
Selected Technical Reports
- Patterson, P.L. and O’Brien, R.A. (2011) Understory vegetation data quality assessment for the Interior West Forest Inventory and Analysis program, Rep. Pap. RMRS-RP-87. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 9 p
- Patterson, P.L., Will-Wolf, S., and Trest, M.T. (2009) Lichen indicator, Chapter in FIA national assessment of data quality for forest health indicators. Westfall, James A. editor. Gen. Tech. Rep. NRS-53. Newtown Square, PA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Northeastern Research Service. 80 p. (refereed)
- Frescino, T. S., Moisen, G. G., Megown, K. A., Nelson, V. J., Freeman, E. A., Patterson, P. L., Finco, M., Brewer, K., and Menlove, J (2009). Nevada Photo-Based Inventory Pilot (NPIP) Photo Sampling Procedures, Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-222. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 30 p.
- Pollard, J.E., Westfall, J.A., Patterson, P.L., Gartner, D.L., Hansen, M., and Kuegler, O. (2006). Forest Inventory and Analysis national data quality assessment report for 2000 to 2003. RMRS-GTR-181, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture.