Steven T Overby
2500 South Pine Knoll Drive
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
Contact Steven T Overby
My current research interests involve response of microbial community to temperature changes along an latitudinal gradient in alpine and subalpine ecosystems of the Southern Rocky Mountains and Sky Islands of the Southwest. I am also studying response of microbial community to fuels/fire risk reduction treatments and wildfire, and the associated processes that are microbially mediated such as N mineralization, decomposition, and carbon sequestration.
My research interests include microbial community dynamics, nutrient cycling in soils, and disturbance affects on nutrient cycling.
Soil nutrient and microbial responses to tree densities as modified by mechanical thinning and/or prescribed fire in ponderosa pine and woodland ecosystems.
Why This Research is Important
Alpine and high altitude spruce ecosystems may experience shifts due to temperature increases with global climate change earlier than other ecosystems.
- Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Ph.D. Ecosystem Science, School of Forestry, 2009
- Arizona State University, Tempe, MS Environmental Sciences, 1994
- Colorado State University, Fort Collins, BS Range Science, 1983
- Soil Ecology Society, Member (2002 - Current)
- Ecological Society of America, Member (2000 - Current)
- Soil Science Society of America, Member (1987 - Current)
Featured Publications & Products
- Hart, Stephen C.; Selmants, Paul C.; Boyle, Sarah I.; Overby, Steven T. 2007. Carbon and nitrogen cycling in southwestern ponderosa fine forests.
- Overby, Steven T.; Hart, Stephen C.; Neary, Daniel G. 2002. Impacts of natural disturbance on soil carbon dynamics in forest ecosystems.
- Classen, Aimee T.; Overby, Steven T.; Hart, Stephen C.; Koch, George W.; Whitham, Thomas G. 2007. Season mediates herbivore effects on litter and soil microbial abundance and activity in a semi-arid woodland.
- Kelkar, Vasant M.; Geils, Brian W.; Becker, Dennis R.; Overby, Steven T.; Neary, Daniel G. 2006. How to recover more value from small pine trees: Essential oils and resins.
- Malusa, John; Overby, Steven T.; Parnell, Roderic A. 2003. Potential for travertine formation: Fossil Creek, Arizona.
Publications & Products
- Fowler, James F.; Overby, Steven; Smith, Barb. 2012. Climate driven changes in Engelmann spruce stands at timberline in the La Sal Mountains.
- Gottfried, Gerald; Overby, Steve. 2011. Assessing mechanical mastication and thinning-piling-burning treatments on the pinyon-juniper woodlands of southwestern Colorado.
- Overby, Steven T. 2009. Short- and long-term influence of stand density on soil microbial communities in ponderosa pine forests.
- Neary, Daniel G.; Haase, Sally M.; Overby, Steven T. 2008. Total carbon and nitrogen in mineral soil after 26 years of prescribed fire: Long Valley and Fort Valley Experimental Forests.
- Neary, Daniel G.; Haase, Sally M.; Overby, Steven T. 2008. Total carbon and nitrogen in mineral soil after 26 years of prescribed fire: Long Valley and Fort Valley Experimental Forests (P-53).
- Overby, Steven T.; Hart, Stephen C.; Newman, Gregory S.; Erickson, Dana. 2006. Microbial response to high severity wildfire in the southwest United States.
- Neary, D. G.; Overby, S. T. 2006. Wildfire and post-fire erosion impacts on forest ecosystem carbon and nitrogen: An analysis.
- Classen, Aimee T.; Boyle, Sarah I.; Haskins, Kristin E.; Overby, Steven T.; Hart, Stephen C. 2003. Community-level physiological profiles of bacteria and fungi: Plate type and incubation temperature influences on contrasting soils.
- Neary, Dan; Overby, Steven T.; Haase, Sally M. 2003. Effects of fire interval restoration on carbon and nitrogen in sedimentary- and volcanic-derived soils of the Mogollon Rim, Arizona.
- Neary, Daniel G.; Overby, Steven T.; Haase, Sally M. 2003. Effects of prescribed fire intervals on carbon and nitrogen in forest soils of the Mogollon Rim, Arizona.
- Neary, Daniel G.; Moir, Will H.; Overby, Steven T. 2002. Role of soil disturbances in determining post-harvest plant biodiversity and invasive weed distributions.
- Neary, Daniel G.; Overby, Steven T.; Hart, Stephen C. 2002. Soil carbon in arid and semiarid forest ecosystems [Chapter 18].
- Overby, Steven T.; Moir, Will H.; Robertson, George T. 2000. Soil and vegetation changes in a pinyon-juniper area in central Arizona after prescribed fire.
- DeBano, Leonard F.; Baker, Malchus B.; Overby, Steven T. 1999. Chapter 4: Managing chaparral in Yavapai County.