Rocky Mountain Research Station Home > Science Program Areas > Air, Water and Aquatics > Scientists
Research Soil Scientist at the Flagstaff Laboratory
Science Team Leader, Southwest Watershed Team / Soil Scientist and Hydrologist Air, Water and Aquatic Environments (AWAE) Science Program
Back to the Complete Scientist Profile Page
- 1969 B.S. Forestry, Michigan State University
- 1972 M.S. Forest Ecology, Michigan State University
- 1974 Ph.D. Forest Soils and Forest Hydrology, Michigan State University
- 1970-1974 Graduate Research Assistant and NDEA Fellow, Department of Forestry, Michigan State University.
- 1974-1978 New Zealand Forest Service: Post Doctoral Fellow, Forest Research Institute, Rotorua, New Zealand.
- 1978-1981 USDA Forest Service: Soil Scientist (GS11-12), Southeastern Station, Coweeta Hydrologic Lab, Otto, NC .
- 1981-1993 USDA Forest Service: Project Leader and Soil Scientist, (GS12-15) Southeastern Station, IMPAC, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
- 1993-2007 USDA Forest Service: Project Leader and Soil Scientist, (GS-15), Riparian Ecological Systems, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Flagstaff, AZ .
- 2007-Present USDA Forest Service: Science Team Leader and Soil Scientist, (GS-15), Air, Water and Aquatic Environments Science Program, Rocky Mountain Research Station, Flagstaff, AZ.
- 2009 McMaster Research Fellow, CSIRO, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- 2013 SCION Research Fellow, Forest Research Institute Ltd., Rotorua, New Zealand
- University of Florida, 1981-present
- Michigan Tech. University, 1987-2004
- Northern Arizona University, 1993-present
- University of Arizona, 1995-present
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES AND ORGANIZATIONS:
- American Society of Agronomy
- American Water Resources Association
- International Association of Wildland Fire
- Soil Science Society of America
- International Energy Agency Task 31, USA Representative
- International Erosion Control Association
OFFICES HELD IN and AWARDS FROM PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES:
- Agency Representative for USDA Forest Service, Geological Society of America, 1985-1996.
- Chair, Section S-7, Forest and Range Soils, Soil Science Society of America, 1991-1992.
- Soil Science Society of America, Board Member, 1992-1993; 2006-2008.
- Member, Soil Science Certification Board, Soil Science Society of America, 1999 - 2008
- Fellow, American Society of Agronomy, 2004
- Fellow, Soil Science Society of America, 2005; Board Member, 2009-2011
- Fulbright Foundation Senior Specialist, Environmental Science, 2008-2013
- Soil Science Society of America, Board Member, 1992 - 1993, 2005 - 2011.
- International Association of Wildland Fire Board Member, 2011-Present.
- Water Repellency in Native and Plantation Forests Project, University of Talca, Talca, Chile, 2013
- Best Management Practices in Bioenergy Feedstock Production Project, International Energy Agency, Bioenergy Task 43 and Chalmers University, Goteborg, Sweden.
- New Zealand Post-doctoral Research Fellowship: 1974-1978
- Tapalpa Watershed Project, Jalisco, Mexico, 1994-1997
- Rio Laja Watershed Project, Guanajuato, Mexico, 2004-2005
- Nogales Erosion Project, Sonora, Mexico, 2004-2005
- International Arid Lands Consortium Project: USA, Spain, Israel, 2004-2006
- Management of Forested Watersheds Short Course, Prague and Kostelec, Czech Republic 2005, 2006
- CSIRO Australia McMaster Research Fellowship Project "Improvements in stream-side buffer management using trees", Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 2009
- Research Fellowship Project "Environmental Fate of Forestry Herbicides", SCION Forest Research Institute New Zealand Ltd., Rotorua, New Zealand, 2013
RESEARCH SUBJECT AREAS
Southwest Watershed Team
Temperature Modeling Website
Bull Trout and Climate Change - Risks, Uncertainties and
Opportunities for Mapping the Future