Stewardship Contracting Reporting, Guidance, and Directives
Stewardship Contracting Direction
The USDA Forest Service and the Interior Department's Bureau of Land Management (BLM) received new authority to implement stewardship contracting and agreements in Section 8205 of Public Law 113-79, the Agricultural Act of 2014 (PDF, 75 KB). The Agricultural Act of 2014 grants the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management authority to enter into stewardship contracting projects for up to 10 years with private persons or public or private entities, by contract or by agreement, to perform services to achieve land management goals for the national forests or public lands that meet local and rural community needs. Section 8205 supersedes the authority granted to the Forest Service in section 347.
- FSH 2409.19 Renewable Resources Handbook, Chapter 60 Stewardship Contracting, Approved 03/10/2014 (Microsoft Word document, 614 kb)
This chapter of the Forest Service Handbook provides the agency direction to implement stewardship contracting authority. The guidance and procedures in this direction include appropriate use of the authority, stewardship contracting project development and implementation, and monitoring the use of the stewardship contracting authority.
- Forest Service Manual FSM 2400 - Timber Management (Microsoft Word document, 388 kb)
Amendment to the Forest Service Timber Management Manual including updates for Stewardship Contracting.
- Forest Service Stewardship Contracting Questions & Answers (PDF, 25 kb)
Questions and answers about Stewardship Contracting as it affects the Forest Service.
- Forest Service Stewardship Contracting Fact Sheet (PDF, 13 kb)
Fact sheet about Stewardship Contracting as it affects the Forest Service, including goal, authority, and definitions.
Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
- BLM Stewardship Contracting
A link to the Bureau of Land Management's Stewardship Contracting web page with information and links to their guidance.
- P.L. 108-7 (16 USC 2104 Note) - became law on February 20, 2003. The legislation authorizes the Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management to enter into stewardship end result contracting projects until September 30, 2013.
- Western Governors Association Letter (PDF, 1.1 mb) - a letter from the Secretaries of the Department of Agriculture and Interior informing the Western Governor's Association of the authorization of Public Law 108-7 to undertake, for a period of 10 years, "stewardship end results contracting projects."
- Federal Agencies Announce Guidelines for Stewardship Contracts and Agreements - a news release on the Department of Interior's website.
- Tribal Forest Protection Act of 2004 (PDF) - authorizes the Secretaries of Agriculture and Interior to give special consideration to tribally-proposed stewardship contracting projects on agency lands bordering or adjacent to trust land.
Integrated Resource Contracts and Agreements for use with Stewardship End Result Contracting Legislation
Integrated resource contracts are used in stewardship contracting. These contracts allow the agency to exchange goods for services.
Integrated Resource Service Contracts
The following integrated resource service contracts are to be used when the cost of the services exceeds the value of the timber. The first template is for those contracts involving construction/reconstruction whether or not additional land management activities are included. The second template is for all land management activities other than construction. One Appendix B will be included with either template to address the activities of the timber harvest.
- Integrated Resource Service Contract (IRSC) - Construction (PDF, 500 KB)
- Integrated Resource Service Contract (IRSC) - Commercial Services (PDF, 474 KB)
- Appendix B: Stewardship Contract Timber Removal Specifications - Tree Measurement (PDF, 130 KB)
- Appendix B: Stewardship Contract Timber Removal Specifications - Scaled (PDF, 168 KB)
Agency direction for use of the integrated resource service contracts is found in Forest Service Handbook 6309.32, the Federal Acquisition Regulation Handbook.
Integrated Resource Timber Contracts
The following two integrated resource timber contracts are to be used when the value of timber exceeds the cost of the services. The first contract is for timber measured after harvest (scaled), and the second contract is for timber measured before removal (tree measurement).
- FS-2400-13 Part A (PDF, 59 kb)
- FS-2400-13 Part B (PDF, 378 kb)
- FS-2400-13 Part K Provisions WO-2450-K (10/12) (PDF, 215 kb)
FS-2400-13T Tree Measurement
- FS-2400-13T Part AT (PDF, 163 kb)
- FS-2400-13T Part BT (PDF, 295 kb)
- FS-2400-13T Part KT Provisions WO-2450-KT (10/12) (PDF, 196 kb)
Bid for Integrated Resource Contract
These are interim contracts subject to change based on a review of comments received following the Federal Register Notice of October 5, 2004 (PDF), which was corrected Federal Register Notice of October 12, 2004 (PDF), and the comment period reopened for an additional 90 days per Federal Register Notice of November 30, 2004 (PDF). The interim contracts are currently available for use.
Agency direction for use of the integrated resource timber contracts is found in chapter 60 of Forest Service Handbook 2409.19, Renewable Resources Handbook.
Agreements may be used for stewardship contracting. The revisions to Forest Service Manual (FSM) 1580 and Forest Service Handbook (FSH) 1509.11, Grants, Cooperative Agreements, and Other Agreements, are complete (see revision announcement letter (PDF, 37 KB)).
The agreements templates below have been provided as an example of how Forest Service stewardship agreements are constructed. There may have been updates to the official stewardship agreements templates since these examples were posted. Forest Service personnel should go to the Grants and Agreements internal website to locate the current version of the template for use in developing a new stewardship agreement.
- FSM 1500 - External Relations: Chapter 1580 - Grants, Cooperative Agreements, and Other Agreements (.doc, 209 KB)
- FSH 1509.11 - Grants, Cooperative Agreements, And Other Agreements Handbook Chapter 70 – Partnership Agreements (.doc, 610 KB)
- Master Stewardship Agreement, FS-1500-21 (.docx, 76 KB)
- Stewardship Supplemental Project Agreement (SPA), FS-1500-21a (.docx, 312 KB)
- Stewardship Agreement Financial Plan, FS-1500-21b (.xlsx, 46 KB)
- Stewardship Agreement, FS-1500-21C (.docx, 331 KB)
- Stewardship Agreement short form, FS-1500-21D (.docx, 86 KB)
- Add definitions to Appendix A and Add to Appendix F, FS-1500-21a(c) (.docx, 18 KB)
- Stewardship Contracting: Basic stewardship contracting principles (PDF, 0.7 MB)
- USDA Forest Service Stewardship Contracting Contacts
- Bureau of Land Management: Stewardship Contracting
- Forests and Rangelands: Stewardship Contracting
- Pinchot Institute for Conservation: Stewardship Contracting on Federal Forest Lands
- Red Lodge Clearinghouse: Stewardship Contracting
- National Forest Foundation