Integrated Resource Restoration
The Integrated Resource Restoration (IRR) Program facilitates and supports an integrated approach to land management, recognizing that to effectively restore our national forests and grasslands, we need to integrate our restoration activities to meet multiple objectives at the same time.
IRR began as a proposal to realign the Forest Service’s budget structure to support integrated, landscape-scale restoration. The proposal asked Congress to consolidate several existing programs into a single budget line-item (BLI). The FY 2012 Appropriations Act granted authority to implement IRR in three pilot regions: Region 1 (Northern Region), Region 3 (Southwestern Region), and Region 4 (Intermountain Region), and it has been extended each year since.
Under the pilot authority, the Forest Service can combine budget line items (BLIs) for Wildlife and Fisheries Habitat Management, Vegetation and Watershed Management, Forest Products, Legacy Roads and Trails, and Hazardous Fuels Outside of the Wildland-Urban Interface (WUI) into a consolidated budget. In concert with the pilot authority, the Forest Service is also working to improve its performance measures so they better promote and measure integrated restoration work.
The IRR pilot program provides several valuable lessons about how to conduct integrated restoration work across the agency. While the agency still hopes to be granted nation-wide IRR authority in the future, we are focused on implementing the lessons learned from IRR nation-wide, regardless of what happens with the IRR budget line item.
- 2015 Integrated Resource Restoration Report (PDF, 1.09 MB)
- A Third-Party Evaluation of the IRR Pilot - Report from Phase 3: Stakeholder Outreach and Engagement Winter 2015 (PDF, 4.1 MB)
- Integrated Resource Restoration FY 2013 Report (PDF, 4.6 MB)
- Evaluating the Integrated Resource Restoration Line Item: Results from a Survey of National Forest System Staff, Winter 2015 [Phase 2] (PDF, 2.2 MB)
- FY 2012 Implementation and Accountability
- Integrated Resource Restoration (IRR) Pilot Update
- Webinar Presentation: “Integrated Resource Restoration: A Focus on Landscape Scale Restoration” (PDF, 7.7 MB)