Forest Service R&D has collaboratively developed a Forest Service R&D Tribal Engagement Roadmap that helps highlight and prioritize our efforts and raise the visibility of Tribal engagement for the Agency's scientists, political leadership, Tribes, and the public. The Roadmap outlines an agenda for Forest Service Research and Development (FS R&D) staff regarding services to, engagement with, and learning from Indian Tribes and other indigenous groups.
This effort supports the goals and objectives outlined in the agency-wide Tribal Relations Strategic Plan 2010-2013, and contributes to the broader Forest Service Tribal Relations Program. The Tribal Relations Program of the Forest Service developed the Tribal Relations Strategic Plan to create beneficial outcomes for the agency and for American Indian and Alaska Native Tribal governments and communities. The R&D Roadmap communicates how R&D is working with Tribes to support these efforts.
There are six R&D specific objectives and associated actions outlined in the Roadmap:
- Build new and enhance existing partnerships with Tribes, Indigenous and Native Groups, Tribal colleges, Tribal communities and Intertribal Organizations.
- Institutionalize Trust responsibilities and Tribal engagement within Forest Service R&D.
- Increase and advance Tribal and indigenous values, knowledge, and perspectives within Forest Service R&D, including both operational and research activities
- Network and coordinate within R&D and across deputy areas to increase agency and R&D program efficacy
- Through a collaborative and participatory approach with tribes and tribal organizations, advance research on topics of joint interest, such as: climate change, fire science, TEK, water protection, fish and wildlife, forest products, non-timber forest products, restoration, social vulnerability, sustainability.
- Develop and deploy research and technologies to support tribal decision-making on natural resources issues.
An official period of Tribal government-to-government consultation open to federally recognized Tribes and Alaska Native Corporations and other Tribal leaders produced invaluable comments. The final Roadmap includes changes made as a direct result of consultation.
- DRAFT US Forest Service R&D Tribal Engagement Roadmap
- Letter to Tribes Requesting Consultation on the Roadmap
- FAQ on the R&D Tribal Engagement Roadmap
- Summary of the USDA Forest Service R&D Tribal Engagement Roadmap
- Powerpoint summarizing the R&D Tribal Engagement Roadmap
A listening session with Washington Office Leadership and Staff on the Roadmap was held on February 13th. Read the minutes »