Supervisory Research Materials Engineer
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact Zhiyong Cai
The FPL Engineered Composites Science research work unit is responsible for developing new and improved composites from wood and other non-wood fiber sources using thermoset, thermoplastic, inorganic and other naturally-derived binders. Dr. Cai works on developing new bio-based composites, understanding the manufacturing processes, and improving the performance of wood composites.
- Bio-based composites
- Composite warping
- Engineered composite properties
- Cellulose nano material and nano composites
- Wood Structural design and assessment
- Product standard development
- Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, Ph.D. Wood Science and Engineering,
- Nanjing Forestry University, Nanjing, China, MS Wood Science and technology,
- East China Normal University, Shanghai, China, BS Physics,
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Member
- American Society of Mechanic Engineering (ASME), Member
- American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT), Member
- Fiberboard and Molded Products Group, Chair And Vice Chair Of Technical Particleboard
- Forest Products Society (FPS), Member
- Registered Professional Engineer License, Member
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST), Member
Featured Publications & Products
- Stark, Nicole M.; Cai, Zhiyong; Carll, Charles. 2010. Wood-based composite materials : panel products, glued-laminated timber, structural composite lumber, and wood-nonwood composite materials.
- Cai, Zhiyong. 2010. Wood-adhesive bonding failure : modeling and simulation.
- Du, Yicheng; Wang, Chuji; Toghiani, Hossein; Cai, Zhiyong; Liu, Xiaojian; Zhang, Jilei; Yan, Qiangu. 2010. Synthesis of carbon-encapsulated metal nanoparticles from wood char.
- Li, Xianjun; Cai, Zhiyong; Winandy, Jerrold E.; Basta, Altaf H. 2010. Selected properties of particleboard panels manufactured from rice straws of different geometries.
- Cai, Zhiyong. 2010. Opportunities of using bio-based materials for value-added composites.
Publications & Products
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Zhu, J.Y.; Agarwal, Umesh; Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Yiqiang. 2013. A comparative study of cellulose nanofibrils disintegrated via multiple processing approaches.
- Li, Jinghao; Hunt, John F.; Cai, Zhiyong; Zhou, Xianyan. 2013. Bending analyses for 3D engineered structural panels made from laminated paper and carbon fabric.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Rudie, Alan W.; Wegner, Theodore H. 2013. Chapter 11: Integrated Technology for Biobased Composites.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Rudie, Alan W.; Stark, Nicole M.; Sabo, Ronald C.; Ralph, Sally A. 2013. Chapter 6: New Products and Product Categories in the Global Forest Sector.
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Zhu, J.Y.; Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Yiqiang. 2013. Comparative study of cellulose nanofibrils Disintegrated from different Approaches.
- Liu, Zhijia; Hunt, John F.; Cai, Zhiyong. 2013. Fire performance of fiber board coated with nano kaolin-clay film.
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Yiqiang. 2013. Flexible cellulose nanofibril composite films with reduced hygroscopic capacity.
- Peng, Yucheng; Gardner, Douglas J.; Han, Yousoo; Kiziltas, Alper; Cai, Zhiyong; Tshabalala, Mandla A. 2013. Influence of drying method on the material properties of nanocellulose I: thermostability and crystallinity.
- Peng, Yucheng; Gardner, Douglas J.; Han, Yousoo; Cai, Zhiyong; Tshabalala, Mandla A. 2013. Influence of drying method on the surface energy of cellulose nanofibrils determined by inverse gas chromatography.
- Fei, Benhua; Liu, Zhijia; Jiang, Zehui; Cai, Zhiyong. 2013. Mechanical Properties of Moso Bamboo Treated with Chemical Agents.
- Qing, Yan; Ross, Robert J.; Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Yiqiang. 2013. Nondestructive Measurement of Dynamic Modulus for Cellulose Nanofibril Films.
- Zheng, Qifeng; Javadi, Alireza; Sabo, Ronald; Cai, Zhiyong; Gong, Shaoqin. 2013. Polyvinyl alcohol (PVA)-cellulose nanofibril (CNF)-multiwalled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) hybrid organic aerogels with superior mechanical properties.
- Piao, Cheng; Cai, Zhiyong; Stark, Nicole M.; Monlezun, Charles J. 2013. Potassium methyl siliconate-treated pulp fibers and their effects on wood plastic composites: Water sorption and dimensional stability.
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Yiqiang. 2013. Resin impregnation of cellulose nanofibril films facilitated by water swelling.
- Bridwell, James J.; Ross, Robert J.; Cai, Zhiyong; Kretschmann, David E. 2013. USDA Forest Products Laboratory's Debris Launcher.
- Meng, Yujie; Wang, Siqun; Cai, Zhiyong; Young, Timothy M.; Du, Guanben; Li, Yanjun. 2012. A novel sample preparation method to avoid influence of embedding medium during nano-indentation.
- Lu, Jianxiong; Jiang, Jiali; Wu, Yiqiang; Li, Xianjun; Cai, Zhiyong. 2012. Effect of Moisture Sorption State on Vibrational Properties of Wood.
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Wu, Yiqiang; Cai, Zhiyong. 2012. High-Performance Cellulose Nanofibril Composite Films.
- Xu, Yuzhi; Wang, Chunpeng; Stark, Nicole M.; Cai, Zhiyong; Chu, Fuxiang. 2012. Miscibility and thermal behavior of poly (ε-caprolactone)/long-chain ester of cellulose blends.
- Jiang, Zehui; Liu, Zhijia; Fei, Benhua; Cai, Zhiyong; Yu, Yan; Liu, Xing’e. 2012. The pyrolysis characteristics of moso bamboo.
- Mun, Sung Phil; Cai, Zhiyong; Watanabe, Fumiya; Agarwal, Umesh P.; Zhang, Jilei. 2012. Thermal Conversion of Pine Wood Char to Carbon Nanomaterials in the Presence of Iron Nanoparticles.
- Liu, Ye; Zhong, Qixin; Wang, Siqun; Cai, Zhiyong. 2011. Correlating physical changes and enhanced enzymatic saccharification of pine flour pretreated by Ν-Methylmorpholine-Ν-oxide.
- Li, Xianjun; Cai, Zhiyong; Winandy, Jerrold E.; Basta, Altaf H. 2011. Effect of oxalic acid and steam pretreatment on the primary properties of UF-bonded rice straw particleboards.
- Li, Xianjun; Cai, Zhiyong; Horn, Eric; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2011. Effect of oxalic acid pretreatment of wood chips on manufacturing medium-density fiberboard.
- Li, Xianjun; Cai, Zhiyong; Mou, Qunying; Wu, Yiqiang; Liu, Yuan. 2011. Effects of heat treatment on some physical properties of Douglas fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii) wood.
- Yan, Qiangu; Toghiani, Hossein; Yu, Fei; Cai, Zhiyong; Zhang, Jilei. 2011. Effects of pyrolysis conditions on yield of bio-chars from pine chips.
- Li, Xianjun; Cai, Zhiyong; Horn, Eric; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2011. Oxalic acid pretreatment of rice straw particles and loblolly pine chips : release of hemicellulosic carbohydrates.
- Li, Xianjun; Zhou, Yongdong; Yan, Yonglin; Cai, Zhiyong; Feng, Fu. 2010. A single cell model for pretreatment of wood by microwave explosion.
- Gu, Jiyou; Cai, Zhiyong. 2010. Development and application of wood adhesives in China.
- Wu, Yan; Wang, Siqun; Zhou, Dingguo; Xing, Cheng; Zhang, Yang; Cai, Zhiyong. 2010. Evaluation of elastic modulus and hardness of crop stalks cell walls by nano-indentation.
- Li, Xian-jun; Lu, Ke-yang; Lin, Lan-ying; Zhou, Yong-dong; Cai, Zhi-yong; Fu, Feng. 2010. Fundamental characteristics of microwave explosion pretreatment of wood. I, Properties of temperature development.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Ross, Robert J. 2010. Mechanical properties of wood-based composite materials.
- Wang, Tao; Cai, Zhiyong; Liu, Lei; Bayer, Ilker S.; Biswas, Abhijit. 2010. Nanotechnology : emerging applications of cellulose-based green magnetic nanocomposites.
- Yu, Yan; Rudie, Alan; Cai, Zhiyong. 2010. Preliminary study on flakeboard panels made from aspen slash wood.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Birkeland, Michael; Wescott, James M.; O'Dell, Jane; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2009. Effects of press sizes on internal steam pressure during particleboard hot-pressing process.
- Cai, Zhiyong. 2008. A new method of determining moisture gradient in wood.
- Hunt, Michael O.; Ross, Robert J.; Wang, Xiping; Soltis, Lawrence Andrew; Leavitt, R. R.; Cai, Zhiyong. 2007. Assessment of in-place wood floor systems.
- Cai, Zhiyong. 2007. Determining moisture gradient profile using X-Ray technique.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Qinglin; Han, Guangping; Lee, Jong N. 2007. Tensile and thickness swelling properties of strands from Southern hardwoods and Southern pine : effect of hot-pressing and resin application.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Muehl, James H.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2006. Effects of panel density and mat moisture content on processing medium density fiberboard.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Muehl, James H.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2006. Effects of pressing schedule on formation of vertical density profile for MDF panels.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2006. Opportunities for using bio-based fibers for value-added composites.
- Cai, Zhiyong. 2006. Selected properties of MDF and flakeboard overlaid with fiberglass mats.
- Du, Guanben; Wang, Siqun; Cai, Zhiyong. 2005. Microwave drying of wood strands.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2005. Opportunity and development of bio-based composites.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Wescott, James M.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2005. Strandboard made from soy-based adhesive with high soy content.
- Wu, Qinglin; Cai, Zhiyong; Lee, Jong N. 2005. Tensile and dimensional properties of wood strands made from plantation southern pine lumber.
- Cai, Zhiyong. 2004. Evaluating the warping of laminated particleboard panels.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Qinglin; Lee, Jong N.; Hiziroglu, Salim. 2004. Influence of board density, mat construction, and chip type on performance of particleboard made from eastern redcedar.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Hunt, Michael O.; Ross, Robert J.; Soltis, Lawrence A. 2003. Screw withdrawal : a means to evaluate densities of in-situ wood members.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Hunt, Michael O.; Ross, Robert J.; Soltis, Lawrence A. 2000. Static and vibration moduli of elasticity of salvaged and new joists.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Hunt, Michael O.; Ross, Robert J.; Soltis, Lawrence A. 1999. Nondestructive methods for the structural evaluation of wood floor systems in historic buildings : preliminary results : [abstract].
|An Innovative Method for Determining Moisture Gradient of Wood Products|
Changes in moisture content of wood-based composite materials can lead to linear expansion and, more specifically, hygroexpansion. This can caus ...
|Centennial Edition, Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material|
The Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material serves as a primary reference document for a wide variety of users-from the general publ ...
|Effects of Press Sizes on Internal Steam Pressure during Particleboard Hot-Pressing Process |
Internal steam pressure produced during the hot-pressing cycle in particleboard production is critical to the newly developed bond strength that ...
|Fabrication Utilization of Recycled Fiber/Agricultural Fiber Panels and Exhibit|
The Forest Products Laboratory's research using anaerobically digested agricultural waste fibers combined with recycled paper fibers to make str ...
|Metal Core Nanoparticles Created From Wood Char, a Bioenergy Byproduct|
Shell-encapsulated metal core carbon nanoparticles have potential applications in magnetic data storage, xerography, drug delivery, and as a cat ...
|Particleboard Panels Manufactured from Rice Straws of Different Geometries|
Faced with worldwide shortages of forest resources, environmental pollution and waste of biological resources resulting from field burning of ri ...
|Pretreating Wood Chips for Manufacturing Medium Density Fiberboard|
FPL researchers studied how pretreating wood chips before manufacturing medium density fiberboard affected both the end product and the amount o ...
|Producing Value-Added Composite Panels from Aspen Slash Wood|
The disposal of forest thinning residue is a concern when looking at sustainable forest management. Researchers found this material could be a ...
|Rice Straw Particleboard|
There has recently been a revival of interest in using agriculture residues to produce particleboards and other composite panels due to competit ...
|Studying Cellulose Nanofibril Films for Use in Electronics||2012|