775 Stone Blvd., Thompson Hall, Room 309
Contact Ying Ouyang
Investigate impacts of reforestation upon surface water quality (e.g., sediment and nutrients) in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley (LMAV) using BASINS-HSPF, HYDSTRA, and STELLA models; estimate relationships among pond water supply, crop/tree water use, and groundwater quantity in Mississippi using MODFLOW/GMO and STELLA models; monitor real-time variations of surface water quality in the LMAV using Dynamic Data Driven Application System; estimate hydrological processes, biomass production, water use, and CO2 flux in short-rotation woody crop plantations using STELLA model; identify stream low flow and discharge pattern in response to climate change in forest watersheds using Wavelet analysis and HYDSTRA model; and perform field measurements for surface and groundwater quality using YSI meter and for tree sapflow using sensor technique.
Collaborate with faculty members from Universities and scientists from other Federal agencies in nutrient removal from constructed wetlands; fate and transport of contaminants in soils and sediments; greenhouse gas emission from land surface; and short-rotation plant biomass production associated with their adverse environmental impacts.
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Soil Science (Soil Physics) 1991
- Oregon State University, M.S. Soil Science (Soil Physics) 1987
- South China Agricultural University, B.S. Soil Chenistry 1982
- Research Hydrologist, USDA Forest Service, Center for Bottomland Hardwoods Research
2010 - Current
As a Research Hydrologist, my major research responsibilities are to: (1) investigate impacts of forest and agricultural management upon water quality and quantity in the Lower Mississippi Alluvial Valley (LMAV) using computer models (e.g., BASINS-HSPF; MODFLOW/MT3D); (2) develop low flow selection method using minimum flows and levels approach in conjunction with Hydstra model; (3) estimate short-rotation woody biomass production in the soil-tree-atmosphere system using STELLA model; (4) evaluate real-time variations and loads of surface water quality in southeast area using Dynamic Data Driven Application System; (5) detect temporal patterns of watershed hydrology and water quality in response to climate change using Wavelet Analysis; (6) identify most important water quality parameters and environmental variables in forest watershed ecosystems using multivariate statistical analysis (e.g., Principal Component Analysis); (7) assess greenhouse gases (i.e., CO2) flux in forest lands using STELLA model; (8) predict pesticide leaching and loading in agricultural soils; and (9) collaborate with faculty members from Mississippi State University for scientific publications and grant applications as well as serve as graduate student committee members.
- Environmental Scientist , St. Johns River Water Management District of Florida
1999 - 2010
As an Environmental Scientist in water quality and watershed hydrology, my responsibilities were to apply complex computer models, statistical techniques, computational algorithms, and basin-scale field measurements for analyzing surface, wetland, and ground water quality; investigate groundwater discharge, wetland attenuation, and surface load of contaminants, excess nutrients, and sediments into the St. Johns River (SJR) for the purpose of TMDL refinement; ascertain river flow and groundwater drawdown hydrology for water supply impact study; evaluate water use and nutrient application efficiencies in agricultural ecosystems; prepare reports and manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications; develop research projects and manage contracts; and mentor field workers for surface and ground water sampling. During my 12 years' employment at the St. Johns River Water Management District, I had completed the following major projects: (1) modified watershed models (e.g., BASINS-HSPF, GLEAMS, GIS-WAM) for simulating surface water runoff, sediment/contaminant and Hg transport, and total organic carbon load into the SJR; (2) applied the Storm Water Management Model (SWMM) to evaluate surface water runoff, sediment transport, and pollutant loading into the Ortega River and Julington Creek for different land use conditions (e.g., agricultural, forested, urbanization, and industrial lands); (3) performed 3D kriging (geostatistical) analysis on spatial and temporal variations of sediment contaminants using ISATIS model; (4) performed multiple regression on water quality monitoring data for N, P, refractory and labile TOC, and water color in related to basin-scale land uses; (5) applied the principal component analysis to evaluate the SJR basin water quality parameters and monitoring networks; (6) quantified groundwater nutrient discharges into the SJR using field data, Visual MODFLOW/MT3D models, and system dynamic model (STELLA); and (7) applied STELLA model for simulating phytoremediation of contaminants that includes the processes of leaf water evapotranspiration, xylem and phloem chemical transport, and root chemical uptake.
- American Institute Of Hydrology, Professional Hydrologist (2002 - Current)
- American Geophysical Union, Member (1991 - Current)
Member of American Geophysical Union
- Soil Science Society of America, Member (1989 - Current)
Member of Soil Science Society of America
Awards & Recognition
- Certificate of appreciation for work as Associate Editor , 2010
Certificate of appreciation from the American Society of Agronomy/Crop Science Society of America/Soil Science Society of America for work as Associate Editor of the Journal of Environmental Quality for six years (two terms) in 2010.
- Ten years service award , 2009
Ten years service award by the St. Johns River Water Management District, Florida, 2009.
Featured Publications & Products
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En; Cui, Lihua. 2014. Estimating Impacts Of Land Use On Groundwater Quality Using Trilinear Analysis.
- Parajuli, Prem B.; Ouyang, Ying. 2013. Watershed-Scale Hydrological Modeling Methods And Applications.
- Ouyang, Ying; Leininger, Theodor D.; Hatten, Jeff. 2013. Real-Time Estimation Of Tp Load In A Mississippi Delta Stream Using A Dynamic Data Driven Application System.
- Ouyang, Ying; Leininger, Theodor D.; Moran, Matt. 2013. Impacts Of Reforestation Upon Sediment Load And Water Outflow In The Lower Yazoo River Watershed, Mississippi.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En; Li, Yide; Parajuli, Prem; Feng, Gary. 2015. Impacts Of Rainfall And Air Temperature Variations Due To Climate Change Upon Hydrological Characteristics: A Case Study.
- Ouyang, Ying; Leininger, Theodor D.; Moran, Matt. 2015. Estimating Effects Of Reforestation On Nitrogen And Phosphorus Load Reductions In The Lower Yazoo River Watershed, Mississippi.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jiaen; Leininger, Theodor D.; Frey, Brent R. 2015. A Stella Model To Estimate Water And Nitrogen Dynamics In A Short-Rotation Woody Crop Plantation.
- Ouyang, Ying. 2012. A Potential Approach For Low Flow Selection In Water Resource Supply And Management.
- Ouyang, Ying; Xu, Daping; Leininger, Ted; Zhang, Ningnan. 2016. A System Dynamic Model To Estimate Hydrological Processes And Water Use In A Eucalypt Plantation.
- Ouyang, Ying. 2016. Identification Of Temporal Patterns Of Long-Term Hydrological Signals In Lower Mississippi River Basin Using Wavelet Analysis.
- Xu, Hua-qin; Zhang, Jia-en; Ouyang, Ying; Lin, Ling; Quan, Guo-ming; Zhao, Ben-liang; Yu, Jia-yu. 2015. Effects Of Simulated Acid Rain On Microbial Characteristics In A Lateritic Red Soil.
- Cui, Lihu; Ouyang, Ying; Yang, Weizhi; Huang, Zhujian; Xu, Qiaoling; Yu, Guangwei. 2015. Removal Of Nutrients From Septic Tank Effluent With Baffle Subsurface-Flow Constructed Wetlands.
- Ouyang, Ying; Cui, Lihua; Feng, Gary; Read, John. 2015. Simulating Phosphorus Removal From A Vertical-Flow Constructed Wetland Grown With C Alternifolius Species.
- Zhang, Jia-En; Yu, Jiayu; Ouyang, Ying; Xu, Huaqin. 2014. Impact Of Simulated Acid Rain On Trace Metals And Aluminum Leaching In Latosol From Guangdong Province, China.
- Marion, Daniel A.; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Ouyang, Ying; Amatya, Devendra M.; Clinton, Barton D.; Conrads, Paul A.; Gull Laird, Shelby; Dai, Zhaohua; Clingenpeel, J. Alan; Liu, Yonqiang; Roehl, Edwin A., Jr..; Moore Myers, Jennifer A.; Trettin, Carl. 2014. Managing Forest Water Quantity And Quality Under Climate Change.
- Parajuli, B.P.; Jayakody, P.; Sassenrath, G.F.; Ouyang, Y.; Pote, J.W. 2013. Assessing The Impacts Of Crop-Rotation And Tillage On Crop Yields And Sediment Yield Using A Modeling Approach.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En; Parajuli, Prem. 2013. Characterization Of Shallow Groundwater Quality In The Lower St. Johns River Basin: A Case Study.
- Ouyang, Ying. 2013. Effects Of A Constructed Wetland And Pond System Upon Shallow Groundwater Quality.
- Ouyang, Ying; Parajuli, Prem B.; Marion, Daniel A. 2013. Estimation Of Surface Water Quality In A Yazoo River Tributary Using The Duration Curve And Recurrence Interval Approach.
- Cui, Lihua; Ouyang, Ying; Gu, Wenjie; Yang, Weozhi; Xu, Qiaoling. 2013. Evaluation Of Nutrient Removal Efficiency And Microbial Enzyme Activity In A Baffled Subsurface-Flow Constructed Wetland System.
- Zhang, Jia-En; Quan, Guo-Ming; Huang, Zhao-Xiang; Luo, Shi-Ming; Ouyang, Ying. 2013. Evidence Of Duck Activity Induced Anatomical Structure Change And Lodging Resistance Of Rice Plant.
- Parajuli, Prem B.; Sassenrath, Gretchen F.; Ouyang, Ying. 2013. Relationships Between Water Table And Model Simulated Et.
- Liang, Kiang; Zhang, Jia-en; Fang, Li; Zaho, Benliang; Luo, Mingzhu; Parajuli, Prem; Ouyang, Ying . 2013. The Biological Control Of Pomacea Canaliculata Population By Rice-Duck Mutualism In Paddy Fields.
- Ouyang, Ying; Leininger, Theodor D.; Hatten, Jeff; Parajuli, Prem B. 2012. A Stella Model To Estimate Soil Co2 Emissions From A Short-Rotation Woody Crop.
- Ouyang, Ying. 2012. Designing A Dynamic Data Driven Application System For Estimating Real-Time Load Of Dissolved Organic Carbon In A River.
- Ouyang, Ying. 2012. Estimation Of Shallow Groundwater Discharge And Nutrient Load Into A River.
- Ouyang, Ying; Higman, John; Hatten, Jeff. 2012. Estimation Of Dynamic Load Of Mercury In A River With Basins-Hspf Model.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En. 2012. Quantification Of Shallow Groundwater Nutrient Dynamics In Septic Areas.
- Cui, Lihua; Feng, Jigkun; Ouyang, Ying; Deng, Peiwen. 2012. Removal Of Nutrients From Septic Effluent With Re-Circulated Hybrid Tidal Flow Constructed Wetland.
- Zhang, Jia-En; Yu, Jiayu; Ouyang, Ying; Xu, Huaqin. 2012. Responses Of Earthworm To Aluminum Toxicity In Latosol.
- Ouyang, Ying; Zhang, Jia-En; Cui, Li Hua; Nkedi-Kizza, Peter. 2012. Simulating The Transport And Fate Of Trifluralin In Soil.
- Zhang, Jia-En; Ouyang, Ying; Huang, Zhao-Xiang Huang; Quan, Guo-Ming. 2011. Dynamic Emission Of Ch4 From A Rice-Duck Farming Ecosystem.