Yvette K. Ortega
800 Block East Beckwith
Missoula, MT 59801
Contact Yvette K. Ortega
* Examine interactive impacts of herbivory by biological control agents and drought on the competitive dominance of a notorious weed.* Asses a new technique for assessing habitat quality for songbirds based on local song structure. * Measure effects of herbicide treatments aimed at weed control on plants and animals and evaluate degree to which such methods mitigate target invader impacts.
My primary interest lies in building understandings of ecological patterns and processes in order to improve the management of natural systems. Current applications include evaluating impacts of exotic weed invasion on native plants, cascading effects on consumers, and efficacy of weed control tools in mitigating these impacts. Studies consider population and community level attributes and organisms from plants and invertebrate to birds and their predators.
My research applies ecological principles and insights to real-world problems such as exotic plant invasion and climate change.
Why This Research is Important
* Cascading effects on weed invasion on native plants, insects, and birds.* Changes in small mammal populations associated with biocontrol food subsidies.* Impacts of forest fragmentation on songbirds.* Human disturbance effects on harbor seals.
- University of California, Berkeley, BA Environmental Science, 1992
- University of Vermont, MS Wildlife and Fisheries Biology, 1998
Featured Publications & Products
- Ortega, Yvette K.; Pearson, Dean E. 2011. Long-term effects of weed control with picloram along a gradient of spotted knapweed invasion.
- Zwolak, Rafal; Pearson, Dean E.; Ortega, Yvette K.; Crone, Elizabeth E. 2010. Fire and mice: Seed predation moderates fire's influence on conifer recruitment.
- Ortega, Yvete K.; Pearson, Dean E. 2010. Effects of picloram application on community dominants vary with initial levels of spotted knapweed (Centaurea stoebe) invasion.
- Zwolak, Rafal; Foresman, Kerry; Crone, Elizabeth; Pearson, Dean; Ortega, Yvette. 2008. Are mice eating up all the pine seeds?.
- Ortega, Yvette. 2007. Impacts of invasive plants on songbirds: Using song structure as an indicator of habitat quality.
Publications & Products
- Pearson, Dean; Ortega, Yvette. 2013. Biogeography of plant invasions.
- Ortega, Yvette; Pearson, Dean. 2013. Spotted knapweed: Effects of climate change on the invasiveness and biological control.
- Pearson, Dean E.; Ortega, Yvette K.; Sears, Samantha J. 2012. Darwin's naturalization hypothesis up-close: Intermountain grassland invaders differ morphologically and phenologically from native community dominants.
- Zwolak, R.; Pearson, D. E.; Ortega, Y. K.; Crone, E. E. 2012. Mechanisms driving postfire abundance of a generalist mammal.
- Ortega, Yvette K.; Pearson, Dean E.; Waller, Lauren P.; Sturdevant, Nancy J.; Maron, John L. 2012. Population-level compensation impedes biological control of an invasive forb and indirect release of a native grass.
- Maron, John L.; Pearson, Dean E.; Potter, Teal; Ortega, Yvette K. 2012. Seed size and provenance mediate the joint effects of disturbance and seed predation on community assembly.
- Pearson, Dean; Ortega, Yvette. 2011. Invasive Species Science Update (No. 5).
- Hansen, Allison K.; Ortega, Yvette K.; Six, Diana L. 2009. Comparison of ground beetle (Coleoptera: Carabidae) assemblages in Rocky Mountain savannas invaded and un-invaded by an exotic forb, spotted knapweed.
- Pearson, Dean; Ortega, Yvette. 2009. Managing invasive plants in natural areas: Moving beyond weed control.
- Pearson, Dean E.; Ortega, Yvette K.; Ruggiero, Leonard F. 2003. Trap-induced mass declines in small mammals: Mass as a population index.
- Pearson, Dean E.; Ortega, Yvette K. 2001. An indirect dispersal pathway for spotted knapweed seeds via deer mice and great-horned owls.
- Pearson, Dean E.; Ortega, Yvette K.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Ruggiero, Leonard F. 2001. Small mammal communities and habitat selection in Northern Rocky Mountain bunchgrass: Implications for exotic plant invasions.
- Ortega, Yvette K.; Capen, David E. 1999. Effects of forest roads on habitat quality for Ovenbirds in a forested landscape.
|An herbicide solution to knapweed|
Station researchers evaluated the effects of a common herbicide treatment on grassland plants in western Montana to determine if and when suppre ...