William J. Massman Jr
240 West Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526
Contact William J. Massman Jr
I conduct research to quantify atmospheric-biospheric interactions, including the use of eddy covariance technology to study the exchange of trace gases (carbon dioxide, water, ozone) between the atmosphere and the earth's surface (vegetation, soil, and snow). I also research issues involving the physical processes governing CO2 transport in soils and snowpacks and the impact of fire on soil physical properties and microbial populations.
Develop a better understanding of an ongoing spruce beetle epidemic can have on carbon and water cycles at a high elevation subalpine forest.Develop physically-based computer models to improve predictions of and insights into the long-term impacts on soils that extreme heating during a prescribed burn or wildfires can cause.
My research focuses on some of the long-term impacts that relatively short-lived, but extreme, events or environmental conditions can have on vegetation and soils. Such events alter ecosystem benefits and resources, such as the potential for carbon sequestration, stream flow amounts and timing, and soil water availability, for decades to centuries. Quantifying these impacts on water and carbon is critical for long-term resource planning and sustainability.
Why This Research is Important
** Theory and practice of eddy covariance(1) A perspective on thirty years of the Webb, Pearman and Leuning density corrections ,(2) The canopy horizontal array turbulence study (CHATS) ** Carbon cycling and climate Climate control of terrestrial carbon exchange across biomes and continents **Fire and soils Advancing investigation and modeling of first-order fire effects on soils ** Beetle impacts on high elevation siteEvapotranspiration response of a high elevation Rocky Mountain (Wyoming, USA) forest to a bark beetle epidemic
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Ph.D. Meteorology, 1978
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, MS Meteorology, 1973
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, MS Physics, 1970
- University of Missouri, Columbia, BS Physics, 1969
- American Geophysical Union, Member (1988 - Current)
- American Meteorological Society, Member (1978 - Current)
- European Geophysical Union, Member (2008 - 2008)
- Journal Of Geophysical Research Atmospheres, Associate Editor (2005 - 2008)
- Association Of Fire Ecology, Member (2007 - 2007)
- American Meteorological Society, Member (2002 - 2005)
- Air and Waste Management Association, Member (1994 - 1994)
- American Society of Agronomy, Member (1992 - 1993)
- American Meteorological Society, Member (1987 - 1989)
Awards & Recognition
- UN WMO Norbert Gerbier-MUMM International Award 2012, 2012
For the publication "Climate control of terrestrial carbon exchange across biomaes and continents" Environmental Research Letters 5 034007.
- Rocky Mountain Research Station Best Scientific Pulbication of the Year 2010, 2011
Advancing investigation and modeling of first-order fire effects on soils, fire Ecology 6:36-54
- Distinguished Visiting Scientist Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, CSIRO, 2010
CSIRO is Australia's national science agency and one of the largest and most diverse research agencies in the world. This award is made annually and is competitive across all scientific diciplines within CSIRO.
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2007
For careful and diligent efforts to remove the obsolescent tower at the GLEES research site
- USDA Certificate of Merit, 2004
For significant efforts to continue fire ecolgoy research on soils and to initiate new studies in the National Fire Plan Ecology Research Project in FY04
- USDA Certificate of Appreciation, 1995
For significant contribution to the understanding and quantification of ozone depostition and tis interaction with the plant surface
- USDA Certificate of Appreciation, 1995
For contributions to the 1993 RPA assessment update
- Senor Postdoctoral Fellowship, 1985
National Research Council
- Scholastic Achievement, 1969
Phi Beta Kappa
- National Mathematics Honor Society, 1969
Phi Mu Epsilon
Featured Publications & Products
- Lee, Xuhui; Massman, William J. 2011. A perspective on thirty years of the Webb, Pearman and Leuning density corrections.
- Pendall, Elise; Ewers, Brent; Norton, Urszula; Brooks, Paul; Massman, W. J.; Barnard, Holly; Reed, David; Aston, Tim; Frank, John. 2010. Impacts of beetle-induced forest mortality on carbon, water and nutrient cycling in the Rocky Mountains.
- Yi, Chuixiang; Ricciuto, Daniel; Li, Runze; Wolbeck, John; Xu, Xiyan; Nilsson, Mats; Frank, John; Massman, William J. 2010. Climate control of terrestrial carbon exchange across biomes and continents.
- Massman, William J.; Frank, John M.; Mooney, Sacha J. 2010. Advancing investigation and physical modeling of first-order fire effects on soils.
Publications & Products
- Frank, John M.; Massman, William J.; Ewers, Brent E.; Huckaby, Laurie S.; Negron, Jose F. 2014. Ecosystem CO2/H2O fluxes are explained by hydraulically limited gas exchange during tree mortality from spruce bark beetles.
- Kochendorfer, John; Meyers, Tilden P.; Frank, John M.; Massman, William J.; Heuer, Mark W. 2013. Reply to comment by Mauder on "How well can we measure the vertical wind speed? Implications for fluxes of energy and mass".
- Frank, John M.; Massman, William J.; Ewers, Brent E. 2013. Underestimates of sensible heat flux due to vertical velocity measurement errors in non-orthogonal sonic anemometers.
- Rafkin, S.; Banfield, D.; Dissly, R.; Silver, J.; Stanton, A.; Wilkinson, E.; Massman, W.; Ham, J. 2012. An instrument to measure turbulent eddy fluxes in the atmosphere of Mars.
- Kochendorfer, John; Meyers, Tilden P.; Frank, John; Massman, William J.; Heuer, Mark W. 2012. How well can we measure the vertical wind speed? Implications for fluxes of energy and mass.
- Massman, W. J. 2012. Modeling soil heating and moisture transport under extreme conditions: Forest fires and slash pile burns.
- Leuning, Ray; van Gorsela, Eva; Massman, William J.; Isaac, Peter R. 2012. Reflections on the surface energy imbalance problem.
- Gu, Lianhong; Massman, William J.; Leuning, Ray; Pallardy, Stephen G.; Meyers, Tilden; Hanson, Paul J.; Riggs, Jeffery S.; Hosman, Kevin P.; Yang, Bai. 2012. The fundamental equation of eddy covariance and its application in flux measurements.
- Bowling, D. R.; Massman, W. J. 2011. Persistent wind-induced enhancement of diffusive CO2 transport in a mountain forest snowpack.
- Patton, Edward G.; Horst, Thomas W.; Sullivan, Peter P.; Lenschow, Donald H.; Oncley, Steven P.; Brown, William O. J.; Burns, Sean P.; Guenther, Alex B.; Held, Andreas; Karl, Thomas; Mayor, Shane D.; Rizzo, Luciana V.; Spuler, Scott M.; Sun, Jielun; Turnipsee, Andrew A.; Allwine, Eugene J.; Edburg, Steven L.; Lamb, Brian K.; Avissar, Roni; Calhoun, Ronald J.; Kleissl, Jan; Massman, William J.; U, Kyaw Tha Paw; Weil, Jeffrey C. 2011. The canopy horizontal array turbulence study.
- Nobles, M. M.; Massman, W. J.; Mbila, M.; Butters, G. 2010. Mineralogical and micromorphological modifications in soil affected by slash pile burn.
- Massman, W. J.; Nobles, M. M.; Butters, G.; Mooney, S. J. 2010. Transport of CO2 and other combustion products in soils during slash-pile burns [Presentation].
- Bowling, D. R.; Massman, W. J.; Schaeffer, S. M.; Burns, S. P.; Monson, R. K.; Williams, M. W. 2009. Biological and physical influences on the carbon isotope content of CO2 in a subalpine forest snowpack, Niwot Ridge, Colorado.
- Wilson, J. D.; Massman, W. J.; Swaters, G. E. 2009. Dynamic response of the thermometric net radiometer.
- Massman, W. J.; Ibrom, A. 2008. Attenuation of concentration fluctuations of water vapor and other trace gases in turbulent tube flow.
- Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M.; Reisch, N. B. 2008. Long-term impacts of prescribed burns on soil thermal conductivity and soil heating at a Colorado Rocky Mountain site: a data/model fusion study.
- Patton, Edward G.; Horst, Thomas W.; Lenschow, Donald H.; Sullivan, Peter P.; Oncley, Steven; Burns, Sean; Guenther, Alex; Held, Andreas; Karl, Thomas; Mayor, Shane; Rizzo, Luciana; Spuler, Scott; Sun, Jielun; Turnipseed, Andrew; Allwine, Eugene; Edburg, Steven; Lamb, Brian; Avissar, Roni; Holder, Heidi E.; Calhoun, Ron; Kleissl, Jan; Massman, William; U, Kyaw Tha Paw; Weil, Jeffrey C. 2008. The Canopy Horizontal Array Turbulence Study (CHATS).
- Oncley, Steven P.; Massman, William J.; Patton, Edward G. 2008. Turbulent pressure fluctuations measured during CHATS.
- Buker, P.; Emberson, L.D.; Ashmore, M. R.; Cambridge, H. M.; Jacobs, C. M.; Massman, W. J.; Muller, J.; Nikolov, N.; Novak, K.; Oksanen, E.; Schaub, M.; de la Torre, D. 2007. Comparison of different stomatal conductance algorithms for ozone flux modelling.
- Esquilin, Aida E. Jimenez; Stromberger, Mary E.; Massman, William J.; Frank, John M.; Shepperd, Wayne D. 2007. Microbial community structure and activity in a Colorado Rocky Mountain forest soil scarred by slash pile burning.
- Musselman, Robert C.; Lefohn, Allen S.; Massman, William J.; Heath, Robert L. 2006. A critical review and analysis of the use of exposure- and flux-based ozone indices for predicting vegetation effects.
- Massman, W. J. 2006. Advective transport of CO2 in permeable media induced by atmospheric pressure fluctuations: 1. An analytical model.
- Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M. 2006. Advective transport of CO2 in permeable media induced by atmospheric pressure fluctuations: 2. Observational evidence under snowpacks.
- Massman, W. J.; Tuovinen, J. -P. 2006. An analysis and implications of alternative methods of deriving the density (WPL) terms for eddy covariance flux measurements.
- Buker, P.; Emberson, L. D.; Ashmore, M. R.; Gerosa, G.; Jacobs, C.; Massman, W. J.; Muller, J.; Nikolov, N.; Novak, K.; Oksanen, E.; De La Torre, D.; Tuovinen, J. -P. 2006. Comparison of different stomatal conductance algorithms for ozone flux modelling [Proceedings].
- Liu, Heping; Randerson, James T.; Lindfors, Jamie; Massman, William J.; Foken, Thomas. 2006. Consequences of incomplete surface energy balance closure for CO2 fluxes from open-path CO2/H2O infrared gas analyzers.
- Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M. 2006. Effects of controlled burns on the bulk density and thermal conductivity of soils at a southern Colorado site.
- Wieser, G.; Matyssek, R.; Musselman, R. C.; Lefohn, A. S.; Massman, W. J. 2006. Glossary: Definitions of relevancy for the 'flux concept' in ozone risk assessment.
- Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M.; Jimenez Esquilin, A. E.; Stromberger, M. E.; Shepperd, W. D. 2006. Long term consequences of a controlled slash burn and slash mastication to soil moisture and CO2 at a southern Colorado site.
- Emberson, L. D.; Massman, W. J.; Buker, P.; Soja, G.; Van De Sand, I.; Mills, G.; Jacobs, C. 2006. The development, evaluation, and application of O3 flux and flux-response models for additional agricultural crops.
- Musselman, R. C.; Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M.; Korfmacher, J. L. 2005. The temporal dynamics of carbon dioxide under snow in a high elevation Rocky Mountain subalpine forest and meadow.
- Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M. 2004. An in situ investigation of the influence of a controlled burn on the thermophysical properties of a dry soil.
- Massman, W. J. 2004. Concerning the measurement of atmospheric trace gas fluxes with open- and closed-path eddy covariance systems: The density terms and spectral attenuation [Chapter 7].
- Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M. 2004. Effect of a controlled burn on the thermophysical properties of a dry soil using a new model of soil heat flow and a new high temperature heat flux sensor.
- Takle, Eugene S.; Massman, William J.; Brandle, James R.; Schmidt, R. A.; Zhou, Xinhua; Litvina, Irina V.; Garcia, Rick; Doyle, Geoffrey; Rice, Charles W. 2004. Influence of high-frequency ambient pressure pumping on carbon dioxide efflux from soil.
- Massman, W. J. 2004. Toward an ozone standard to protect vegetation based on effective dose: A review of deposition resistances and a possible metric.
- Massman, W. J.; Clement, R. 2004. Uncertainty in eddy covariance flux estimates resulting from spectral attenuation [Chapter 4].
- Takle, Eugene S.; Brandle, James R.; Schmidt, R. A.; Garcia, Rick; Litvina, Irina V.; Massman, William J.; Zhou, Xinhua; Doyle, Geoffrey; Rice, Charles W. 2003. High-frequency pressure variations in the vicinity of a surface CO2 flux chamber.
- Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M.; Shepperd, W. D.; Platten, M. J. 2003. In situ soil temperature and heat flux measurements during controlled surface burns at a southern Colorado forest site.
- Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M.; Massman, S. M.; Shepperd, W. D. 2003. Performance of high temperature heat flux plates and soil moisture probes during controlled surface fires.
- Massman, W. J.; Finnigan, J.; Billesbach, D.; Miller, S.; Black, A.; Amiro, B.; Law, B.; Lee, X.; Mahrt, L.; Dahlman, R.; Foken, T. 2003. Summary and synthesis of recommendations of the AmeriFlux Workshop on standardization of flux analysis and diagnostics; Corvallis, Oregon; August 2002.