Wendell R. Haag
Fisheries Research Biologist
1000 Front Street
Oxford, MS 38655-4915
Phone: 662-234-2744 x245
Contact Wendell R. Haag
My research focuses on developing management and conservation strategies for freshwater mussels and warmwater fishes based on a holistic understanding of the life history and ecology of these organisms. Forest lands in the southeastern U.S. support some of the most diverse, but threatened aquatic ecosystems in the world. Current management and conservation efforts are hampered by a lack of information about the ecology of most species that compose these ecosystems. My research program is geared toward generating solid life history information on aquatic species then integrating this information to produce useful ecological models. I am particularly interested in how suites of life history traits influence community assembly, population dynamics, and responses to ecosystem change. I am applying research findings toward evaluating potential outcomes of management actions, and development of repeatable monitoring programs that can simultaneously provide an assessment of population viability.
- University of Mississippi, Ph.D. Biology, 2002
- The Ohio State University, M.S. Zoology, 1991
- Eastern Kentucky University, B.S. Biology, 1988
Featured Publications & Products
- Culp, Jacob J.; Haag, Wendell R.; Arrington, D. Albrey; Kennedy, Thomas B. 2011. Seasonal and species-specific patterns in abundance of freshwater mussel glochidia in stream drift.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Rypel, Andrew L. 2010. Growth and longevity in freshwater mussels: evolutionary and conservation implications.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. Jr. 2010. Diversity, abundance, and size structure of bivalve assemblages in the Sipsey River, Alabama.
- Haag, Wendell R. 2010. A hierarchical classification of freshwater mussel diversity in North America.
- Rypel, Andrew L.; Haag, Wendell R.; Findlay, Robert H. 2009. Validation of annual growth rings in freshwater mussel shells using cross dating .Can.
Publications & Products
- Gascho-Landis, Andrew M.; Mosley, Tyler L.; Haag, Wendell R.; Stoeckel, James A. 2012. Effects of temperature and photoperiod on lure display and glochidial release in a freshwater mussel.
- Haag, Wendell R. 2009. Extreme longevity in freshwater mussels revisited: sources of bias in age estimates derived from mark-recapture experiments.
- Haag, Wendell R. 2009. Past and future patterns of freshwater mussel extinctions in North America during the Holocene.
- Rypel, Andrew L.; Haag, Wendell R.; Findlay, Robert H. 2009. Pervasive hydrologic effects on freshwater mussels and riparian trees in southeastern floodplain ecosystems.
- Barnhart, Christopher M.; Haag, Wendell R.; Roston, William N. 2008. Adaptations to host infection and larval parasitism in Unionoida.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Commens-Carson, Amy M. 2008. Testing the assumption of annual shell ring deposition in freshwater mussels.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. 2007. Freshwater mussel assemblage structure in a regulated river in the Lower Mississippi river Alluvial Basin, USA.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. 2006. Seasonal feeding specialization on snails by river darters (Percina shumardi) with a review of snail feeding by other darter species.
- Peacock, Evan; Haag, Wendell; Warren, Melvin. 2005. Prehistoric decline in freshwater mussels coincident with the advent of maize agriculture.
- Warren, Melvin L.; Haag, Wendell R. 2005. Spatio-temporal patterns of the decline of fresh water mussels in the Little South Fork Cumberland River,USA.
- Kennedy, Thomas B.; Haag, Wendell R. 2005. Using morphometrics to identify glochidia from a diverse freshwater mussel community.
- Strayer, David L.; Downing, John A.; Haag, Wendell R.; King, Timothy L.; Layzer, James B.; Newton, Teresa J.; Nichols, S. Jerrine. 2004. Changing perspectives on pearly mussels, North America's most imperiled animals.
- Warren, Melvin L.; Haag, Wendell R.; Commens, Amy M. 2004. Observations of watersnake (Nerodia, Colubridae predation on Darters (Percidae).
- Adams, Susan B.; Warren, Melvin L.; Haag, Wendell R. 2004. Spatial and temporal patterns in fish assemblages of upper coastal plain streams, Mississippi, USA.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. 2003. Host fishes and infection strategies of freshwater mussels in large Mobile Basin streams, USA.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Staton, J. Leann. 2003. Variation in fecundity and other reproductive traits in freshwater mussels.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L.; Wright, Keith; Shaffer, Larry. 2002. Occurence of the Rayed Creekshell, Anodontoides Radzatus, in the Mississippi River Basin: Implications For Conservation and Biogeography.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. 2000. Effects of light and presence of fish on lure display and larval release behaviours in two species of freshwater mussels.
- Warren, Melvin L.; Haag, Wendell R.; Adams, Susan B. 2000. Forest linkages to diversity and abundancein lowland stream fish communities.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L.; Shillingsford, Mahala. 1999. Host fishes and host-attracting behavior of Lampsilis altilis and Villosa vibex (Bivalvia: Unionidae).
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. 1999. Mantle displays of freshwater mussels elicit attacks from fish.
- Warren, Melvin L.; Haag, Wendell R.; Burr, Brooks M. 1999. Status of the Mussel Resource in Little South Fork Cumberland River.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. 1998. Freshwater mussels of the Delta National Forest, Mississippi Final Report.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. 1998. Role of ecological factors and reproductive strategies in structuring freshwater mussel communities.
- Warren, Melvin L.; Angermeier, Paul L.; Burr, Brooks M.; Haag, Wendell R. 1997. Decline of a diverse fish fauna: patterns of imperilment and protection in the Southeastern United States.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. 1997. Host fishes and reproductive biology of 6 freshwater mussel species from the Mobile Basin, USA.
- Johnston, Carol E.; Haag, Wendell R. 1996. Life History Of The Yazoo Darter (Percidae: Etheostoma Raneyi), A Species Endemic To North-Central Mississippi.
- Haag, Wendell; Butler, Robert S.; Hartfield, Paul D. 1995. An extraordinary reproductive strategy in freshwater bivalves: prey mimicry to facilitate larval dispersal.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Warren, Melvin L. 1995. Current Distributional Information on Freshwater Mussels (family Unionidae) in Mississippi National Forests.
- Berg, David J.; Haag, Wendell R.; Guttman, Sheldon I.; Sickel, James B. 1995. Mantle biopsy: a technique for nondestructive tissue-sampling of freshwater mussels.
- Haag, Wendell R.; Garton, David W. 1995. Variation in Genotype Frequencies During the Life History of the Bivalve, Dreissena Polymorpha.