Wayne A Cook
Fire Technology Transfer Specialist
5775 US West Highway 10
Missoula, MT 59808
Contact Wayne A Cook
I serve as an intermediary between Fire Research and Fire and Aviation Management representing the national interest on projects that affect the efficiency and effectiveness of fire management programs. I am also responsible for improving and facilitating the technology transfer process for all fire-related research, thus remaining very active in many national interagency technology transfer related projects.
All wildland fire-related research interests me but my primary focus is with science integration and delivery at the Missoula Fire Sciences Laboratory. It's a challenge to successfully integrate applied science into the science cycle and finding effective delivery mechanisms to transfer science to the field and into its culture. As a current incident commander, I am also interested in actively applying science in our short-term and long duration management of wildland fires.
There is lots of great fire science/research being conducted by the agency and the specifically at the Missoula Fire Sciences Laboratory with growing interest in science application and integration. A fully collaborative science cycle means bringing users into as many steps in the science cycle as possible, familarizing the user with the approach to solution, while familiarizing the researcher with the user's needs. The management community, technology transfer professionals, and science community collectively are key to successful integration and longterm investments.
Why This Research is Important
Continued emphasis on increasing support and investment for techology transfer and science application while assisting in science delivery and integration. There are many local-level science delivery efforts, but there are only limitted larger scale and cross functional frameworks to integrate those efforts and leverage successes.
- University of Montana, BS Recreation Resources Management, Forestry Emphasis, 1989
Featured Publications & Products
- Butler, Bret W.; Cook, Wayne. 2007. The fire environment--innovations, management, and policy; conference proceedings.
- Cook, Wayne; Butler, Bret W. 2007. Introduction-2nd Fire Behavior and Fuels Conference: The fire environment-innovations, management, and policy.
- Mutch, Robert W.; Cook, Wayne A. 1996. Restoring fire to ecosystems: Methods vary with land management goals.
Publications & Products
- Cook, Wayne. 2009. Conservation education for Fire, Fuel and Smoke Program.