Todd A. Schroeder
507 25th Street
Ogden, UT 84401
Contact Todd A. Schroeder
Currently my work for FIA focuses on combining historical Landsat imagery with national forest inventory data to better understand how forest disturbance and regrowth dynamics impact the contemporary North American Carbon cycle. This research theme has an international focus which requires analyzing complex inventory and monitoring data collected by all three major North American countries. Developed projects have focused on creating new methods for verifying and enhancing cross-border data compatibility, as well as for analyzing historical trends in forest disturbance resulting from fire and clearcut harvesting.
My research interests lie within the fields of forest ecology, climate change and forest carbon accounting. Specifically my work focuses on the transformation of remotely sensed data into ecologically useful information which can be directly integrated into earth system process models and resource management applications.
Changes in global climate not only change temperature and precipitation patterns but also alter the frequency and intensity of natural disturbances such as from fire and insect infestation. These changes interact with anthropogenic disturbances to shape the compostion, structure and function of forests world wide. As forests provide clean water and species habitat monitoring the effect of these changes is an important and ever evolving aspect of forest management. Remote sensing offers an effective and efficient means from which to track forest change over large areas. My research helps develop new methods for identyfing the timing and cause of forest disturbance through analysis of satellite imagery and forest inventory data. Identifying areas which have been impacted by disturbance will hopefully lead to an improved understanding of the land-climate system.
Why This Research is Important
1. Used Landsat data to study impacts of forest disturbance/recovery dynamics on regional scale carbon sequestration. 2. Developed methods for mapping fire and clearcut harvest disturbances and salvage logging in Canadian boreal forests. 3. Derived downscaled surfaces of solar radiation and other climate variables for modeling forest net primary production (NPP). 4. Estimated impacts of climate change on tree species niche habitats. 5. Mapped land use/land cover change in support of hydrologic analyses.
- Hanover College, BA Psychology,
- Indiana State University, MA Physical Geography,
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Forest Ecology,
Publications & Products
- Kennedy, Robert E.; Andrefouet, Serge; Cohen, Warren B.; Gomez, Cristina; Griffiths, Patrick; Hais, Martin; Healey, Sean P.; Helmer, Eileen H.; Hostert, Patrick; Lyons, Mitchell B.; Meigs, Garrett W.; Pflugmacher, Dirk; Phinn, Stuart R.; Powell, Scott L.; Scarth, Peter; Sen, Susmita; Schroeder, Todd A.; Schneider, Annemarie; Sonnenschein, Ruth; Vogelmann, James E.; Wulder, Michael A.; Zhu, Zhe. 2014. Bringing an ecological view of change to Landsat-based remote sensing.
- Schroeder, Todd A.; Healey, Sean P.; Moisen, Gretchen G.; Frescino, Tracey S.; Cohen, Warren B.; Huang, Chengquan; Kennedy, Robert E.; Yang, Zhiqiang. 2014. Improving estimates of forest disturbance by combining observations from Landsat time series with U.S.
- Schroeder, Todd A.; Healey, Sean P.; Moisen, Gretchen G.; Frescino, Tracey S.; Cohen, Warren B.; Huang, Chengquan; Kennedy, Robert E.; Yang, Zhiqiang. 2014. Improving estimates of forest disturbance by combining observations from Landsat time series with U.S. Forest Service Forest Inventory and Analysis data.
- Schroeder, Todd A.; Moisen, Gretchen G.; Healey, Sean P.; Cohen, Warren B. 2012. Adding value to the FIA inventory: combining FIA data and satellite observations to estimate forest disturbance.
- Moisen, Gretchen G.; Schroeder, Todd A.; Schleeweis, Karen; Toney, Chris; Cohen, Warren B.; Goward, Samuel N. 2012. Attributing causal agents to nationwide maps of forest disturbance.
- Schroeder, Todd A.; Wulder, Michael A.; Healey, Sean P.; Moisen, Gretchen G. 2012. Detecting post-fire salvage logging with Landsat change maps and national fire survey data.
- Schroeder, Todd A.; Healey, Sean P.; Moisen, Gretchen G. 2012. Evaluating the compatibility of American and Mexican national forest inventory data.
- Schroeder, Todd; Wulder, Michael A.; Healey, Sean P.; Moisen, Gretchen G. 2011. Mapping wildfire and clearcut harvest disturbances in boreal forests with Landsat time series data.