Thomas P. Holmes
Forestry Sciences Laboratory, P.O. Box 12254
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Contact Thomas P. Holmes
My current research program is focused in three areas. First, I am investigating methods for improving measures of the nonmarket values provided by forest ecosystems. This research program includes developing a better understanding of the behavioral linkages between economics and psychology. Second, I am conducting research in the economics of forest disturbances. This effort seeks to link economic and ecological models to provide insight into improved strategies for managing forest insects and diseases, invasive species, catastrophic storms, and wildfires. Third, I am investigating economic approaches for improving the sustainable management of tropical forests. This research includes economic analysis of reduced impact logging and the financial analysis of community-based forest enterprises in Brazil and the Amazonian Andes countries.
- University of Connecticut, Ph.D. Agricultural and Resource Economics, 1986
Featured Publications & Products
- Moore, Christopher C.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Bell, Kathleen P. 2011. An attribute-based approach to contingent valuation of forest protection programs.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Murphy, Elizabeth A.; Bell, Kathleen P.; Royle, Denise D. 2010. Property value impacts of hemlock woolly adelgid in residential forests.
- Humphries, Shoana; Holmes, Thomas P.; Kainer, Karen; Koury, Carlos Gabriel Goncalves; Cruz, Edson; Rocha, Rosana de Miranda. 2012. Are community-based forest enterprises in the tropics financially viable? Case studies from the Brazilian Amazon.
- Pye, John M.; Holmes, Thomas P.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Wear, David N. 2011. Economic Impacts of the Southern Pine Beetle.
- Kovacs, Kent; Holmes, Thomas P; Englin, Jeffrey E; Alexander, Janice. 2011. The dynamic response of housing values to a forest invasive disease: evidence from a sudden oak death infestation.
Publications & Products
- González-Cabán, Armando; Holmes, Thomas P.; Loomis, John B.; Sánchez, José J. 2013. Does personal experience affect choice-based preferences for wildfire protection programs?.
- Holmes , Tom; Gonzalez-Caban, Armando; Loomis, John ; Sánchez, José . 2013. The effect of personal experience on choice-based preferences for wildfire protection programs.
- D'Andrea, M.; Fiorucci, P.; Holmes, T.P. 2011. A stochastic forest fire model for future land cover scenarios assessment.
- Westerling, A.L.; Bryant, B.P.; Preisler, H.K.; Holmes, T.P.; Hildalgo, H.G.; Das, T.; Shrestha, S.R. 2011. Climate change and growth scenarios for California wildfire.
- Englin, Joseph; Pang, Arwin; Holmes, Thomas. 2011. Efficiency versus bias: the role of distributional parameters in count contingent behaviour models.
- Cooley, David M; Galik, Chrsitopher S; Holmes, Thomas P; Kousky, Carolyn ; Cooke, Roger M. 2011. Managing dependencies in forest offset projects: toward a more complete evaluation of reversal risk.
- Preisler, Haiganoush; Westerling, Anthony L.; Gebert, Krista M.; Munoz-Arriola, Francisco; Holmes, Thomas P. 2011. Spatially explicit forecasts of large wildland fire probability and suppression costs for California.
- Calkin, Dave; Phipps, John; Holmes, Tom; Rieck, Jon; Thompson, Matt. 2011. The Exposure Index: Developing firefighter safety performance measures.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Loomis, John; Gonzalez-Caban, Armando. 2010. A Mixed Logit Model of Homeowner Preferences for Wildfire Hazard Reduction.
- Volinskiy, Dmitriy; Bergstrom, John C; Cornwell, Christopher M; Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. A pseudo-sequential choice model for valuing multi-attribute environmental policies or programs in contingent valuation applications.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Liebhold, Andrew M.; Kovacs, Kent F.; Von Holle, Betsy. 2010. A spatial-dynamic value transfer model of economic losses from a biological invasion.
- Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. Confronting challenges to economic analysis of biological invasions in forests.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. Economic impacts of hurricanes on forest owners.
- Lentini, Marco W; Zweede, Johan C; Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. Measuring ecological impacts from logging in natural forests of the eastern Amazonia as a tool to assess forest degradation.
- Holmes, Thomas P; Englin, Jeffrey E. 2010. Preference heterogeneity in a count data model of demand for off-highway vehicle recreation.
- Langner, Linda L.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P; Holmes, Thomas P. 2010. The role of the Forest Service in the economics of invasive species research.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Aukema, Juliann E.; Von Holle, Betsy; Liebhold, Andrew; Sills, Erin. 2009. Economic impacts of invasive species in forest past, present, and future.
- Kovacs, Kent; Englin, Jeffrey; Holmes, Thomas; Alexander, Janice. 2009. The SOD facts of life: property value losses from sudden oak death in Marin County.
- Holmes, Tom; Smith, Bill. 2008. Linking sudden oak death with spatial economic value transfer.
- Holmes, Thomas P.; Abt, Karen L.; Huggett, Robert; Prestemon, Jeffrey P. 2007. Efficient and Equitable Design of Wildfire Mitigation Programs.
- Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Pye, John M.; Holmes, Thomas P. 2004. Temporal Aggregation and Testing For Timber Price Behavior.
|Economics and Spread of Invasives|
An SRS scientist recently led an interdisciplinary team that proposed new methods for evaluating the economic damages of invasive species on for ...