Tara M. Barrett
Contact Tara M. Barrett
My current research interest is understanding how forests in Alaska are changing over time, particularly in response to a changing climate and disturbances. As part of this work, I am (1) exploring change in biomass and carbon mass for different tree species and ecoregions in forests in southeast and south-central Alaska; (2) mapping and predicting change in potential forest productivity in the temperate rainforest of Alaska; (3) seeking an understanding of how climate affects distribution and abundance of hemlock dwarf mistletoe, and its host, western hemlock, and predicting future distributions for both populations under varying climate scenarios; and (4) developing monitoring techniques for northern latitudes, with particular focus on how remote sensing data and field information can be efficiently combined to track possible climate-related changes in boreal forests.
Forest planning, forest modeling, forest management, biometrics, spatial analysis.
My past research includes spatial modeling the effects of forest practices rules on economic returns and forest fragmentation; projecting landscape-level vegetation change; integrating prescribed fire and fuel treatments into general forest planning; developing methods for projecting regional forest change; and assessing status and change of forests in the Pacific West.
Why This Research is Important
Mean annual temperatures have increased across Alaska in the past 60 years, and substantial changes are expected over the next century. While some changes are dramatic and easy to detect (like melting glaciers, collapsing permafrost, and the opening of the Arctic Ocean), predicting how forests will change is complicated by uncertainties in interactions among climate, competition, insects, and disease. Understanding how and why forests are shaped by climate, and detecting early changes, is crucial to making choices that increase the resiliency and sustainability of Alaska forests and forest-dependent communities.
- University of California Berkeley, Ph.D. Wildland Resource Science (forest management), 1996
- University of Wisconsin Madison, M.S. Land Resources, 1990
- University of Wisconsin Madison, B.A. Computer Science, 1987
Featured Publications & Products
- Barrett, Tara M.; Christensen, Glenn A. 2011. Forests of southeast and south-central Alaska, 2004–2008: five-year forest inventory and analysis report.
- Latta, Gregory; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Adams, Darius; Barrett, Tara. 2010. Analysis of potential impacts of climate change on forests of the United States Pacific Northwest.
- Eskelson, Bianca; Hailemariam, Temesgen; Barrett, Tara. 2009. Tree-level imputation techniques to estimate current plot-level attributes in the Pacific Northwest using paneled inventory data.
- Eskelson, Bianca N. I.; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Lemay, Valerie; Barrett, Tara M.; Crookston, Nicholas L.; Hudak, Andrew T. 2009. The roles of nearest neighbor methods in imputing missing data in forest inventory and monitoring databases.
- Latta, Gregory; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Barrett, Tara. 2009. Mapping and imputing potential productivity of Pacific Northwest forests using climate variables.
Publications & Products
- Barrett, Tara; Parks, Noreen. 2013. Tangled trends for temperate rain forests as temperatures tick up.
- Barrett, Tara M.; Latta, Greg; Hennon, Paul E.; Eskelson, Bianca N.I.; Temesgen, Hailemariam. 2012. Host-parasite distributions under changing climate: Tsuga heterophylla and Arceuthobium tsugense in Alaska.
- Barrett, Tara; Maltomo, Matti. 2012. Missing data in forest ecology and management: advances in quantitative methods [Preface].
- Wolken, Jane M.; Hollingsworth, Teresa N.; Rupp, T. Scott; Chapin, F. Stuart; Trainor, Sarah F.; Barrett, Tara M.; Sullivan, Patrick F.; McGuire, A. David; Euskirchen, Eugenie S.; Hennon, Paul E.; Beever, Erik A.; Conn, Jeff S.; Crone, Lisa K.; A'More, David V.; Fresco, Nancy; Hanley, Thomas A.; Kielland, Knut; Kruse, James J.; Patterson, Trista; Schuur, Edward A.G.; Verbyla, David L.; Yarie, John. 2011. Evidence and implications of recent and projected climate change in Alaska's forest ecosystems.
- Barrett, Tara M.; Gray, Andrew N. 2011. Potential of a national monitoring program for forests to assess change in high-latitude ecosystems.
- Jain, Theresa; Barrett, Tara M. 2011. The western Kenai Peninsula: An opportunity to study fire and its effects on soils and trees.
- Halbrook, Jeff M.; Morgan, Todd A.; Brandt, Jason P.; Keegan, Charles E.; Dillon, Thale; Barrett, Tara M. 2009. Alaska's timber harvest and forest products industry, 2005.
- Eskelson, Bianca N.I.; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Barrett, Tara M. 2009. Estimating cavity tree and snag abundance using negative binomial regression models and nearest neighbor imputation methods.
- Eskelson, Bianc N.I.; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Barrett, Tara M. 2009. Estimating current forest attributes from paneled inventory data using plot-level imputation: a study from the Pacific Northwest.
- Eskelson, Bianca N.I.; Barrett, Tara M.; Temesgen, Hailemariam. 2009. Imputing mean annual change to estimate current forest attributes.
- Eskelson, Bianca N. I.; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Barrett, Tara M. 2008. Comparison of stratified and non-stratified most similar neighbour imputation for estimating stand tables.
- Temesgen, Hailemariam; Barrett, Tara M.; Latta, Greg. 2008. Estimating cavity tree abundance using nearest neighbor imputation methods for western Oregon and Washington forests.
- Barrett, T.M.; Zuuring, H.R.; Christopher, T. 2006. Interpretation of forest characteristics from computer-generated images..
- Barrett, T.M. 2006. Optimizing efficiency of height modeling for extensive forest inventories..
- Barrett, T.M. 2006. Pre-epidemic mortality rates for common Phytophthora ramorum host tree species in California.
- Barrett, Tara M.; Gatziolis, Demetrios; Fried, Jeremy S.; Waddell, Karen L. 2006. Sudden oak death in California: what is the potential?.
- Waddell, K.L.; Barrett, T.M. 2005. Oak woodlands and other hardwood forests of California, 1990s..
- Bevers, Michael; Barrett, Tara M. 2005. System analysis in forest resources: proceedings of the 2003 symposium..
- Barrett, T.M. 2004. Estimation procedures for the combined 1990s periodic forest inventories of California, Oregon, and Washington..
- Barrett, T. M. 2001. Models of vegetation change for landscape planning: a comparison of FETM, LANDSUM, SIMPPLLE, and VDDT.