234 Mirror Lake Road
North Woodstock, NH 03262
Contact Scott Bailey
With an undergraduate training in traditional geology, my graduate work turned to hydrology and biogeochemistry. Although my position is classified as a geologist, the term geoecology better describes my work. I am broadly interested in the influence of substrate, including soils, geologic parent-materials, landforms, and water, on the structure and function of ecosystems. The bulk of my work is based on observational studies. This approach is supplemented with field experiments and modeling. Specific areas of current focus include (1) evaluation of watershed mass balance studies and retrospective soil monitoring to determine temporal dynamics of forest soil base cation supply, (2)hydropedology, or the interacting roles of soil development and hydrologic processes, (3) site factors responsible for nutritional stress in sugar maple, and (4) the role of seepage and fractured-rock groundwater discharge in nutrient cycling and biodiversity. Current projects range in location from the Allegheny Plateau in Pennsylvania to the Ungava Peninsula in Quebec, with a special emphasis on the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest, New Hampshire.
Future research will emphasize questions of scaling between observations made at the point scale, to hillslopes and small catchments to regional patterns. Understanding spatial variability will help put intensive research sites into a broader context, allow development of site specific management recommendations, and fuse our understanding of watershed-scale mass balance trends with a mechanistic view of dominant processes.
Why This Research is Important
This research is important so we can understand how forest ecosystems respond to a changing environment. Air pollution, land management, and climate variability are among the factors driving ecosystem change. Understanding these dynamics is essential to develop sound environmental policy and land management strategies.
- Syracuse University, Ph.D. Geology, 1994
- University of New Hampshire, M.S. Hydrology, 1984
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst, B.S. Geology - cum laude, 1982
- New England Botanical Club, Member (1995 - Current)
- American Geophysical Union, Member (1994 - Current)
- Soil Science Society of America, Member (1994 - Current)
Featured Publications & Products
- Bailey, Scott W.; Brousseau, Patricia A.; McGuire, Kevin J.; Ross, Donald S. 2014. Influence of landscape position and transient water table on soil development and carbon distribution in a steep, headwater catchment.
- Zimmer, Margaret A.; Bailey, Scott W.; McGuire, Kevin J.; Bullen, Thomas D. 2013. Fine scale variations of surface water chemistry in an ephemeral to perennial drainage network.
- Long, Robert P.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Hallett, Richard A.; Bailey, Scott W. 2009. Sugar maple growth in relation to nutrition and stress in the northeastern United States.
- Horsley, Stephen B.; Bailey, Scott W.; Ristau, Todd E.; Long, Robert P.; Hallett, Richard A. 2008. Linking environmental gradients, species composition, and vegetation indicators of sugar maple health in the northeastern United States.
Publications & Products
- Wexler, Sarah K.; Goodale, Christine L.; McGuire, Kevin J.; Bailey, Scott W.; Groffman, Peter M. 2014. Isotopic signals of summer denitrification in a northern hardwood forested catchment.
- McGuire, Kevin J.; Torgersen, Christian E.; Likens, Gene E.; Buso, Donald C.; Lowe, Winsor H.; Bailey, Scott W. 2014. Network analysis reveals multiscale controls on streamwater chemistry.
- Gannon, John P.; Bailey, Scott W.; McGuire, Kevin J. 2014. Organizing groundwater regimes and response thresholds by soils: A framework for understanding runoff generation in a headwater catchment.
- Morse, J.L.; Werner, S.F.; Gillin, C.P.; Goodale, C.L.; Bailey, S.W.; McGuire, K.J.; Groffman, P.M. 2014. Searching for biogeochemical hot spots in three dimensions: soil C and N cycling in hydropedologic settings in a northern hardwood forest.
- Green, Mark B.; Bailey, Amey S.; Bailey, Scott W.; Battles, John J.; Campbell, John L.; Driscoll, Charles T.; Fahey, Timothy J.; Lepine, Lucie C.; Likens, Gene E.; Ollinger, Scott V.; Schaberg, Paul G. 2013. Decreased water flowing from a forest amended with calcium silicate.
- Sullivan, T. J.; Lawrence, G. B.; Bailey, S. W.; McDonnell, T. C.; Beier, C. M.; Weathers, K. C.; McPherson, G. T.; Bishop, D. A. 2013. Effects of Acidic Deposition and Soil Acidification on Sugar Maple Trees in the Adirondack Mountains, New York.
- Lawrence, Gregory B.; Fernandez, Ivan J.; Richter, Daniel D.; Ross, Donald S.; Hazlett, Paul W.; Bailey, Scott W.; Ouimet, Rock; Warby, Richard A. F.; Johnson, Arthur H.; Lin, Henry; Kaste, James M.; Lapenis, Andrew G.; Sullivan, Timothy J. 2013. Measuring environmental change in forest ecosystems by repeated soil sampling: A North American perspective.
- Green, Mark B.; Bailey, Amey S.; Bailey, Scott W.; Battles, John J.; Campbell, John L.; Driscoll, Charles T.; Fahey, Timothy J.; Lepine, Lucie C.; Likens, Gene E.; Ollinger, Scott V.; Schaberg, Paul G. 2013. Reply to Smith and Shortle: Lacking evidence of hydraulic efficiency changes.
- Bailey, Scott W. 2013. Two fern species new to New Hampshire, with comments on the generation of calcareous-like habitat by base-poor rocks.
- Ross, Donald S.; Shanley, James B.; Campbell, John L.; Lawrence, Gregory B.; Bailey, Scott W.; Likens, Gene E.; Wemple, Beverley C.; Creed, I.F.; Courchesne, F. 2012. Spatial patterns of soil nitrification and nitrate export from forested headwaters in the northeastern United States.
- Ross, Donald S.; Wemple, Beverley C.; Jamison, Austin E.; Fredriksen, Guinevere; Shanley, James B.; Lawrence, Gregory B.; Bailey, Scott W.; Campbell, John L. 2009. A Cross-Site Comparison of Factors Influencing Soil Nitrification Rates in Northeastern USA Forested Watersheds.
- Lapenis, A.G.; Lawrence, G.B.; Bailey, S.W.; Aparin, B.F.; Shiklomanov, A.I.; Speranskaya, N.A.; Torn, M.S.; Calef, M. 2008. Climatically driven loss of calcium in steppe soil as a sink for atmospheric carbon.
- Mitchell, Myron J.; Bailey, Scott W.; Shanley, James B.; Mayer, Bernhard. 2008. Evaluating sulfur dynamics during storm events for three watersheds in the northeastern USA: a combined hydrological, chemical and isotopic approach.
- Park, Byung Bae; Yanai, Ruth D.; Fahey, Timothy J.; Bailey, Scott W.; Siccama, Thomas G.; Shanley, James B.; Cleavitt, Natalie L. 2008. Fine Root Dynamics and Forest Production Across a Calcium Gradient in Northern Hardwood and Conifer Ecosystems.
- Schaberg, Paul G.; Tilley, James W.; Hawley, Gary J.; DeHayes, Donald H.; Bailey, Scott W. 2006. Associations of calcium and aluminum with the growth and health of sugar maple trees in Vermont.
- Hallett, Richard A.; Bailey, Scott W.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Long, Robert P. 2006. Influence of nutrition and stress on sugar maple at a regional scale.
- Bullen, Thomas D.; Bailey, Scott W. 2005. Identifying calcium sources at an acid deposition-impacted spruce forest: a strontium isotope, alkaline earth element multi-tracer approach.
- Bailey, S.W.; Horsley, S.B.; Long, R.B.; Hallett, R.A. 2004. Division S-7 - forest & range soils. Influence of edaphic factors on sugar maple nutrition and health on the Allegheny Plateau.
- Bailey, S.W.; Mayer, B.; Mitchell, M.J. 2004. Evidence for influence of mineral weathering on stream water sulphate in Vermont and New Hampshire (USA).
- Horsley, Stephen B.; Long, Robert P.; Bailey, Scott W.; Hallett, Richard A.; Wargo, Philip M. 2002. Health of eastern North American sugar maple forests and factors affecting decline.
- Bailey, Scott W. 2000. Geologic and edaphic factors influencing susceptibility of forest soils to environmental change.
- Horsley, Stephen B.; Long, Robert P.; Bailey, Scott W.; Hallett, Richard A.; Hall, Thomas J. 1999. Factors contributing to sugar maple decline along topographic gradients on the glaciated and unglaciated Allegheny Plateau.
- Hallett, Richard A.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Long, Robert P.; Bailey, Scott W.; Hall, Thomas J. 1999. Foliar chemistry of sugar maple: a regional view.
- Bailey, Scott W.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Long, Robert P.; Hallett, Richard A. 1999. Influence of geologic and pedologic factors on health of sugar maple on the Allegheny Plateau.
- Lawrence, Gregory B.; David, Mark B.; Shortle, Walter C.; Bailey, Scott W.; Lovett, Gary M. 1999. Mechanisms of base-cation depletion by acid deposition in forest soils of the northeastern U.S..
- Eagar, Christopher; Bailey, Scott; Bailey, Amey. 1999. Response of northern hardwood forests to nutrient perturbation.
- Lawrence, Gergory B.; David, Mark B.; Bailey, Scott W.; Shortle, Walter C. 1997. Assessment of calcium status in soils of red spruce forests in the northeastern United States.
- David, Mark B.; Lawrence, Gregory B.; Shortle, Walter C.; Bailey, Scott W. 1996. Calcium status of the forest floor in red spruce forests of the northeastern U.S. - past, present and future.