Project Leader / Research Forester
PO Box 267
Contact Susan Stout
My research interests include measuring crowding and diversity in forests, deer impact on forests, silvicultural systems, and translating results from ecosystem research into practical management guidelines for Pennsylvania's forests and beyond. Currently, I am collaborating with the Sand County Foundation and several landowners in a demonstration project called the Kinzua Quality Deer Cooperative. Landowners, land managers, hunters, and scientists are working together to improve both hunting and habitat on a 74,000 acre landscape in northwestern Pennsylvania. This research should strengthen evidence of practical indicators of deer impact. I have recently collaborated with colleagues at Penn State and the University of Georgia in development of a web site meant to serve as a central contact point for research results and management guidelines related to the interactions of deer and forests - www.deerandforests.org. I am active participant in the annual workshops in sustainable forestry offered by the Warren Forestry Sciences Laboratory team, and the lead scientist on on-going development of the SILVAH decision-support software package. In recent years, I have been collaborating with colleagues at Penn State and with the Pennsylvania Sustainable Forestry Initiative on tools for loggers and landowners to make quick assessments of the likely sustainability of planned timber harvests. As project leader of the Warren unit, I also understand the integration of results from diverse research into a coherent set of management guidelines as a major role.
I anticipate that with consolidation of units through Northern Research Station reorganization, ever more of my time will be spent on the administrative side of my role. I am excited about the synergies that will emerge as we bring together the exciting research already underway in the three units that will soon form Work Group II.
Why This Research is Important
Especially in eastern North America, very high proportions of forestland are privately owned (75% in the region of the Northern Research Station). Translating basic and applied forestry research into guidelines that are accessible and useable by the variety of private owners is critical to sustaining our forests and the values and benefits they provide. This requires continued research on techniques for forest management, whether to provide specific kinds of wildlife habitat or wood for energy or high-value sawtimber products. It also requires truly interdisciplinary research that integrates strategies for responding to global change, air pollution, and invasive species (both native and exotic) and a commitment to engaging users through the full cycle of research and science delivery. In our region, white-tailed deer have been a particularly important force in shaping forest vegetation communities for many decades, and the problem is growing in other regions. Our research provides important guidance to those with emerging deer problems, and with recent changes in policy leading to a lower deer impact level locally, we can also provide valuable and practical information about indicators and rates of recovery.
- Yale University, D.F. 1994
- State University of New York, M.S. Silviculture 1983
- Radcliffe College of Harvard University, A.B. 1972
- Research Project Leader, Northeastern and Northern Research Station
1991 - Current
- Research Forester, Northeastern Research Station
1981 - 1991
- Board of Directors of the Warren County Chamber of Business and Industry, Director (2006 - Current)
- Society Of American Foresters, Fellow (2003 - Current)
- Pennsylvania State Bureau of Forestry Ecosystem Management Advisory Council, Member (1991 - Current)
- League of Women Voters, Warren County, President (2001 - 2007)
- SAF National Convention, Co-Program Chair (2006 - 2006)
- Northeastern Research Station's Science Advisory Team, Member (2003 - 2004)
- Elder and Sunday School teacher at North Warren Presbyterian Church, Member (1994 - 2003)
- Silviculture Working Group of the Society of American Foresters (SAF), Chair (1999 - 2000)
Awards & Recognition
- Fellow, Society of American Foresters, 2003
Recognizes a combination of professional accomplishment and Society service
Featured Publications & Products
- Stout, Susan L.; Royo, Alejandro A.; deCalesta, David S.; McAleese, Kevin; Finley, James C. 2013. The Kinzua Quality Deer Cooperative: Can Adaptive Management And Local Stakeholder Engagement Sustain Reduced Impact Of Ungulate Browsers In Forest Systems.
- Royo, Alejandro A.; Stout, Susan L.; deCalesta, David S.; Pierson, Timothy G. 2010. Restoring Forest Herb Communities Through Landscape-Level Deer Herd Reductions: Is Recovery Limited By Legacy Effects.
- Drohan, Patrick J.; Finley, James C.; Roth, Paul; Schuler, Thomas M.; Stout, Susan L.; Brittingham, Margaret C.; Johnson, Nels C. 2012. Oil And Gas Impacts On Forest Ecosystems: Findings Gleaned From The 2012 Goddard Forum At Penn State University.
- Stout, Susan L.; Brose, Pat; Gottschalk, Kurt; Miller, Gary; Knopp, Pete; Rutherford, Gary; Deibler, Mark; Frank, Gary; Gilmore, Gary. 2007. Silvah-Oak: Ensuring Adoption By Engaging Users In The Full Cycle Of Forest Research.
- Hoover, Coeli; Stout, Susan. 2007. The Carbon Consequences Of Thinning Techniques: Stand Structure Makes A Difference.
- Long, Robert P.; Trimpey, David W.; Wiemann, Michael C.; Stout, Susan L. 2012. Anomalous Dark Growth Rings In Black Cherry.
- Stout, Susan L.; Dickinson, Matthew B.; Nowacki, Gregory J. 2012. The Hot Continental Division: Oak Forests, Fire, And Ecosystem Management Frame Fuels Management Questions.
- Brose, Patrick H.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Knopp, Peter D.; Kochenderfer, James N.; McGuinness, Barbara J.; Miller, Gary W.; Ristau, Todd E.; Stoleson, Scott H.; Stout, Susan L. 2008. Prescribing Regeneration Treatments For Mixed-Oak Forests In The Mid-Atlantic Region.
- Hutchinson, Todd F.; Rebbeck, Joanne; Stout, Susan L. 2016. The Devil Is In The Small Dense Saplings: A Midstory Herbicide Treatment Has Limited Effects On Short-Term Regeneration Outcomes In Oak Shelterwood Stands.
- McWilliams, William H.; Westfall, James A.; Brose, Patrick H.; Dey, Daniel C.; Hatfield, Mark; Johnson, Katherine; Laustsen, Kenneth M.; Lehman, Shawn L.; Morin, Randall S.; Nelson, Mark D.; Ristau, Todd E.; Royo, Alejandro A.; Stout, Susan L.; Willard, Thomas; Woodall, Christopher W. 2015. A Regeneration Indicator For Forest Inventory And Analysis: History, Sampling, Estimation, Analytics, And Potential Use In The Midwest And Northeast United States.
- Kern, Christel C.; Kenefic, Laura S.; Stout, Susan L. 2015. Bridging The Gender Gap: The Demographics Of Scientists In The Usda Forest Service And Academia.
- Butler, Patricia R.; Iverson, Louis; Thompson, Frank R.; Brandt, Leslie; Handler, Stephen; Janowiak, Maria; Shannon, P. Danielle; Swanston, Chris; Karriker, Kent; Bartig, Jarel; Connolly, Stephanie; Dijak, William; Bearer, Scott; Blatt, Steve; Brandon, Andrea; Byers, Elizabeth; Coon, Cheryl; Culbreth, Tim; Daly, Jad; Dorsey, Wade; Ede, David; Euler, Chris; Gillies, Neil; Hix, David M.; Johnson, Catherine; Lyte, Latasha; Matthews, Stephen; McCarthy, Dawn; Minney, Dave; Murphy, Daniel; O’Dea, Claire; Orwan, Rachel; Peters, Matthew; Prasad, Anantha; Randall, Cotton; Reed, Jason; Sandeno, Cynthia; Schuler, Tom; Sneddon, Lesley; Stanley, Bill; Steele, Al; Stout, Susan; Swaty, Randy; Teets, Jason; Tomon, Tim; Vanderhorst, Jim; Whatley, John; Zegre, Nicholas. 2015. Central Appalachians Forest Ecosystem Vulnerability Assessment And Synthesis: A Report From The Central Appalachians Climate Change Response Framework Project.
- Ristau, Todd E.; Stout, Susan L. 2014. Can Cover Data Be Used As A Surrogate For Seedling Counts In Regeneration Stocking Evaluations In Northern Hardwood Forests.
- Hayes, D.C.; Stout, S.L.; Crawford, R.H.; Hoover, A.P. 2014. Editors' Foreword.
- Stout, Susan L; Brose, Patrick H. 2014. Silvah: Managers And Scientists Working Together To Improve Research And Management.
- Stout, Susan L.; Brose, Patrick H. 2014. The Silvah Saga: 40+ Years Of Collaborative Hardwood Research And Management Highlight Silviculture.
- Knopp, Peter D.; Stout, Susan L. 2014. User'S Guide To Silvah.
- Wells, Gail; Hayes, Deborah; Krause, Katrina; Bartuska, Ann; LeVan-Green, Susan; Anderson, Jim; Gough, Tivoli; Adams, Mary; Schuler, Thomas; Kolka, Randy; Sebestyen, Steve; Kenefic, Laura; Brissette, John; Stout, Susan; Kanoti, Keith; Swanson, Fred; Greene, Sarah; Herring, Margaret; Ritchie, Martin; Skinner, Carl; Lisle, Tom; Keppeler, Elizabeth; Reid, Leslie; Wohlegemuth, Peter; Kitchen, Stanley; McCaughey, Ward; Guldin, Jim; Bragg, Don; Shelton, Michael; Loftis, David; Greenberg, Cathryn; Murphy, Julia. 2009. Experimental Forests And Ranges : 100 Years Of Research Success Stories.
- Finley, James C.; Stout, Susan L.; Pierson, Timothy G.; McGuinness, Barbara J. 2007. Managing Timber To Promote Sustainable Forests: A Second-Level Course For The Sustainable Forestry Initiative Of Pennsylvania.
- Stout, Susan L.; Hoover, Coeli M.; Ristau, Todd E. 2006. Listening To Old Beech And Young Cherry Trees - Long-Term Research In The Alleghenies.
- Stout, Susan L. 2005. Listening To Old Beech & Young Cherry Trees - Experiences In The Alleghenies & Nearby.
- Stout, Susan L.; Ristau, Todd E. 2005. Long-Term Research On The Usfs Kane Experimental Forest In Northwestern Pennsylvania.
- McWilliams, William H.; Bowersox, Todd W.; Brose, Patrick H.; Devlin, Daniel A.; Finley, James C.; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Horsley, Steve; King, Susan L.; LaPoint, Brian M.; Lister, Tonya W.; McCormick, Larry H.; Miller, Gary W.; Scott, Charles T.; Steele, Harry; Steiner, Kim C.; Stout, Susan L.; Westfall, James A.; White , Robert L. 2005. Measuring Tree Seedlings And Associated Understory Vegetation In Pennsylvania'S Forests.
- McWilliams, William H.; Bowersox, Todd W.; Brose, Patrick H.; Devlin, Daniel A.; Finley, James C.; Horsley, Steve; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; Lister, Tonya W.; McCormick, Larry H.; Miller, Gary W.; Steiner, Kim C.; Stout, Susan L.; Westfall, James A.; White, Robert L. 2004. Indicators Of Regenerative Capacity For Eastern Hardwood Forests.
- Reitz, Scott; Hille, Andrea; Stout, Susan. 2004. Silviculture In Cooperation With Hunters: The Kinzua Quality Deer Cooperative.
- Stout, Susan; Finley, Jim. 2003. Deer And Healthy Forests.
- McWilliams, William H.; Bowersox, Todd W.; Brose, Patrick H.; Devlin, Daniel A.; Finley, James C.; Horsley, Steve; Gottschalk, Kurt W.; King, Susan L.; Lister, Tonya W.; McCormick, Larry H.; Miller, Gary W.; Scott, Charles T.; Steiner, Kim C.; Stout, Susan L.; Westfall, James A.; White, Robert L. 2003. Indicators Of Regenerative Capacity For Native Broadleaf Forests: A Case Study Of Ungulate Overpopulation In The Eastern United States.
- Brose, Patrick; Stout, Susan; Miller, Gary; Gottschalk, Kurt. 2003. Silvah 5.1: Developing Interim Guidelines For Managing Oak In Pennsylvania Through Multi-Agency Cooperation.
- Horsley, Stephen B.; Stout, Susan L.; deCalesta, David S.; deCalesta, David S. 2003. White-Tailed Deer Impact On The Vegetation Dynamics Of A Northern Hardwood Forest.
- DeMarco, Lois; Stout, Susan L. 2001. Use Of Monitoring And Adaptive Management To Promote Regeneration On The Allegheny National Forest.
- Hoover, Coeli M.; Birdsey, Richard A.; Heath, Linda S.; Stout, Susan L. 2000. How To Estimate Carbon Sequestration On Small Forest Tracts Estimate Carbon Sequestration On Small Forest Tracts.
- Twery, Mark J.; Rauscher, H. Michael; Bennett, Deborah J.; Thomasma, Scott A.; Stout, Susan L.; Palmer, James F.; Hoffman, Robin E.; DeCalesta, David S.; Gustafson, Eric; Cleveland, Helene; Grove, J. Morgan; Nute, Donald; Kim, Geneho; Kollasch, R. Peter. 2000. Ned-1: Integrated Analyses For Forest Stewardship Decisions.
- Twery, Mark J. ; Rauscher, H. Michael; Bennett, Deborah J.; Thomasma, Scott A.; Stout, Susan L.; Palmer, James F.; Hoffman, Robin E.; DeCalesta, David S.; Gustafson, Eric; Cleveland, Helene; Grove, J. Morgan; Nute, Donald; Kim, Geneho; Kollasch, R. Peter. 2000. Ned-1: Integrated Analyses For Forest Stewardship Decisions.
- Drohan, Patrick; Stout, Susan; Peterson, Gary. 1999. Spatial Relationships Between Sugar Maple (Acer Saccharum Marsh), Sugar Maple Decline, Slope, Aspect, And Atmospheric Deposition In Northern Pennsylvania.
- Yanai, Ruth D.; Twery, Mark J.; Stout, Susan L. 1998. Woody Understory Response To Changes In Overstory Density: Thinning In Allegheny Hardwoods.
- DeMarco, Lois M.; Stout, Susan L. 1997. Communicating The Story Of Silviculture On The Allegheny National Forest.
- Nowak, Chris; Stout, Susan; Brissette, John; Kenefic, Laura; Miller, Gary; Leak, Bill; Yaussy, Dan; Schuler, Tom; Gottschalk, Kurt. 1997. Defining The Role Of Silvicultural Research In The Northeastern Forest Experiment Station.
- McWilliams, William H.; White, Robert; Arner, Stanford L.; Nowak, Christopher, A.; Stout, Susan L., A..; Stout, Susan L. 1996. Characteristics Of Declining Forest Stands On The Allegheny National Forest.
- McWilliams, William H.; Stout, Susan L.; Bowersox, Todd W.; McCormick, Larry H. 1995. Adequacy Of Advance Tree-Seedling Regeneration In Pennsylvania'S Forests.
- Stout, Susan L.; Nowak, Christopher A.; Redding, James A.; White, Robert; McWilliams, William H.; McWilliams, William H. 1995. Allegheny National Forest Health.
- Stout, Susan L.; deCalesta, David S.; Horsley, Stephen B.; Nowak, Christopher A.; Redding, James C. 1995. Ecosystems Management Research In Hardwood Forests Dominated By Deer.
- McWilliams, William H.; Bowersox, Todd W.; Gansner, David A.; McCormick, Larry H.; Stout, Susan L. 1995. Landscape-Level Regeneration Adequacy For Native Hardwood Forests Of Pennsylvania.
- McWilliams, W. H.; Stout, S. L.; Bowersox, T. W.; McCormick, L. H. 1993. An Assessment Of Advance Regeneration And Herbaceous Communities In Pennsylvania Forests.
- Marquis, David A.; Ernst, Richard L.; Stout, Susan L. 1992. Prescribing Silvicultural Treatments In Hardwood Stands Of The Alleghenies. (Revised).
- Ernst, R.L.; Stout, S.L. 1991. Computerized Algorithms For Partial Cuts.
- Stout, S.L. 1991. Stand Density, Stand Structure, And Species Composition In Transition Oak Stands Of Northwestern Pennsylvania.
|New Book Documents Contributions from Forest Service's Long-Term Research Sites|
From the role of fire in forests to responses to clearcutting controversies, from the discovery of acid rain to the development of biogeochemica ...
|Public - Private Cooperation Improves Management of Deer and Forests|
The Kinzua Quality Deer Cooperative (KQDC) was established in 2000 to test new approaches to stewardship of white-tailed deer and forest habitat ...