University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-2100
Contact Steve Reutebuch
Use of airborne laser scanning (LIDAR) for measurement and monitoring of forest structure and biomass
Remote sensing of forested areas
Planning systems for forest operations; photogrammetric techniques for forest planning
Why This Research is Important
Measurement and monitoring of forest structure is essential for understanding the current state of the forested environment and for establishing baselines that can then be used to quantify change over time.
- University of Washington, MS, Forest Engineering Forest engineering, 1978
- Purdue University, BS, Forest Management Forest management, 1976
- Research Forester, USDA Forest ServicePNW Research Station
1984 - Current
Developed computerized harvest planning systems that utilized digital elevation models; developed photogrammetric techniques for measuring and monitoring forest conditions from aerial photography; investigated costs and impacts of alternative harvest methods; investigated the use of airborne laser scanning (LIDAR) and radar for forest measurement and monitoring.
- Research Scientist, New Zealand Forest Research Institute
1980 - 1984
Developed computerized harvest planning systems that utilized digital elevation models; developed harvest and trucking cost modules for the national silviculture planning system.
- Research Scientist, Weyerhaeuser R&D
1978 - 1980
Developed computerized harvest planning systems that utilized digital elevation models
- American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Certified Photogrammetrist (1998 - Current)
Puget Sound Region Vice President 1997 Puget Sound Region President Elect 1998 Puget Sound Region President 1999 Puget Sound Region Past President 2000
- Iufro, Planning Committee / Member Of Working Group 3.04.01 Forest Operations (1996 - 2004)
Featured Publications & Products
- d'Oliveira, Marcus V.N.; Reutebuch, Stephen E.; McGaughey, Robert J.; Andersen, Hans-Erik. 2012. Estimating forest biomass and identifying low-intensity logging areas using airborne scanning lidar in Antimary State Forest, Acre State, Western Brazilian Amazon.
- Beets, Peter N.; Reutebuch, Stephen; Kimberley, Mark O.; Oliver, Graeme R.; Pearce, Stephen H.; McGaughey, Robert J. 2011. Leaf area index, biomass carbon and growth rate of radiata pine genetic types and relationships with LiDAR.
- Rummer, Bob; Prestemon, Jeff; May, Dennis; Miles, Pat; Vissage, John; McRoberts, Ron; Liknes, Greg; Shepperd, Wayne D.; Ferguson, Dennis; Elliot, William; Miller, Sue; Reutebuch, Steve; Barbour, Jamie; Fried, Jeremy; Stokes, Bryce; Bilek, Edward; Skog, Ken. 2003. A strategic assessment of forest biomass and fuel reduction treatments in western states.
Publications & Products
- Klepac, John; Reutebuch, Steve. 2003. Soil disturbance assessment of a cable logging operation performing five silvicultural prescriptions.