Sharon M Hood
5775 US West Highway 10
Missoula, MT 59808
Contact Sharon M Hood
My research includes studies on delayed tree mortality after fire, post-fire tree mortality and bark beetle interactions, and the effects of raking before fire in old-growth stands to reduce mortality from smoldering duff. I am currently investigating the role of frequent fire in increasing tree defense against bark beetles. This work involves examining the role of fire, water stress, and the interaction of the two in carbon allocation between tree growth and defense.
My research interests are: Delayed tree mortality, methods to restore fire in long-unburned forests that limit overstory tree mortality, tree physiology, and tree defense
Fire and bark beetles have evolved together for millennia. Low-intensity fire increases resin flow, which helps trees to resist bark beetle attack. Frequent fire may increase resin duct density and therefore the ability of the tree to increase resin flow upon wounding. However, postfire climate also affects the tree's ability to produce resin. My research seeks to understand how a fire regime, coupled with climate can affect tree defense and tree resistance to bark beetle attack. This research has important implications for fire management in helping determine optimal fire rotations that lead to high forest resistance to bark beetles.
Why This Research is Important
Douglas-fir mortality from fire and bark beetles, rapid response project to document fuel loading and forest structure immediately before burning, fuel loading techniques for masticated fuels, methods for visually quantifying tree injury after fire
- Mississippi State University, BS Forestry, 1997
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, MS Forestry, 2001
- Montana State University, Ph.D. Candidate Organismal Biology and Ecology,
Featured Publications & Products
- Lewis, Sarah A.; Hudak, Andrew T.; Ottmar, Roger D.; Robichaud, Peter R.; Lentile, Leigh B.; Hood, Sharon M.; Cronan, James B.; Morgan, Penny. 2011. Using hyperspectral imagery to estimate forest floor consumption from wildfire in boreal forests of Alaska, USA.
- Hood, Sharon M.; Smith, Sheri L.; Cluck, Daniel R. 2010. Predicting mortality for five California conifers following wildfire.
- Hood, Sharon M. 2010. Mitigating old tree mortality in long-unburned, fire-dependent forests: a synthesis.
- Hood, Sharon M.; Cluck, Danny R.; Smith, Sheri L.; Ryan, Kevin C. 2008. Using bark char codes to predict post-fire cambium mortality.
- Belote, R. Travis; Jones, Robert H.; Hood, Sharon M.; Wender, Bryan W. 2008. Diversity-invasibility across an experimental disturbance gradient in Appalachian forests.
Publications & Products
- Davis, Ryan S.; Hood, Sharon; Bentz, Barbara J. 2012. Fire-injured ponderosa pine provide a pulsed resource for bark beetles.
- Hood, Sharon M.; Smith, Helen Y.; Wright, David K.; Glasgow, Lance S. 2012. Management guide to ecosystem restoration treatments: two-aged lodgepole pine forests of central Montana, USA.
- Noonan-Wright, Erin; Hood, Sharon M.; Cluck, Danny R. 2010. Does raking basal duff affect tree growth rates or mortality?.
- Hood, Sharon; Bentz, Barbara; Gibson, Ken; Ryan, Kevin; DeNitto, Gregg. 2007. Assessing post-fire Douglas-fir mortality and Douglas-fir beetle attacks in the northern Rocky Mountains.
- Hood, Sharon M.; Smith, Sheri L.; Cluck, Daniel R. 2007. Delayed conifer tree mortality following fire in California.
- Hood, Sharon M.; McHugh, Charles W; Ryan, Kevin C.; Reinhardt, Elizabeth; Smith, Sheri L. 2007. Evaluation of a post-fire tree mortality model for western US conifers.
- Hood, Sharon M.; Miller, Melanie. 2007. Fire ecology and management of the major ecosystems of southern Utah.
- Hood, Sharon M.; Long, Donald; Miller, Melanie; Ryan, Kevin C. 2007. Introduction [Chapter 1].
- Tausch, Robin J.; Hood, Sharon. 2007. Pinyon/juniper woodlands [Chapter 4].
- Hood, Sharon; Bentz, Barbara. 2007. Predicting postfire Douglas-fir beetle attacks and tree mortality in the northern Rocky Mountains.
- Hood, Sharon; Wu, Ros. 2006. Estimating Fuel Bed Loadings in Masticated Areas.
- Smith, Helen Y.; Hood, Sharon; Brooks, Matt; Matchett, JR; Deuser, Curt. 2006. Response of Fuelbed Characteristics to Restoration Treatments in Pinyon-Juniper-Encroached Shrublands on the Shivwits Plateau, Arizona.
- Hood, Sharon M.; Bentz, Barbara; Ryan, Kevin C. 2003. Douglas-fir beetle attack and tree mortality following wildfire.
- Wender, Bryan W.; Hood, Sharon M.; Smith, David W.; Zedaker, Shepard M.; Loftis, David L. 1999. Response of Vascular Plant Communities to Harvest in Southern Appalachian Mixed-Oak Forests: Two-Year Results.