Sean A. Parks
5775 US West Highway 10
Missoula, MT 59808
Sean has spent most of his career as a GIS specialist in support of research activities. He worked as a post-graduate researcher for the Department of Anthropology, University of California, Davis, using GIS to answer questions about primate biogeography and the effect of human population density on protected areas. He also worked for the Sierra Nevada Research Center, Pacific Southwest Research Station, working on issues dealing with California spotted owl, goshawk, and fisher distributions, modeling the effect of management activities on forest characteristics, and modeling the effect of urbanized areas in the Lake Tahoe basin on wildlife. Sean then moved to Missoula, Montana, where he worked for the LANDFIRE project at the Rocky Mountain Research Station, primarily modeling/mapping pre-European vegetation in various areas of the U.S. Sean currently works for ALWRI with Carol Miller, focusing his attention of wildfire modeling and investigating the various factors controlling the likelihood of fire.
- University of California, Davis, BS Environmental Biology and Management, 1998
- University of California, Davis, MA Geography, 2006
Featured Publications & Products
- Davis, Brett H.; Miller, Carol; Parks, Sean A. 2010. Retrospective fire modeling: Quantifying the impacts of fire suppression.
- Bigelow, Seth W.; Parks, Sean A. 2010. Predicting altered connectivity of patchy forests under group selection silviculture.
- Manley, P.N.; Parks, S.A.; Campbell, Lori; Schlesinger, M.D. 2009. Modeling urban land development as a continuum to address fine-grained habitat heterogeneity.
Publications & Products
- Parks, Sean A.; Dillon, Gregory K.; Miller, Carol. 2014. A new metric for quantifying burn severity: The Relativized Burn Ratio.
- Parisien, Marc-Andre; Parks, Sean A.; Krawchuk, Meg A.; Little, John M.; Flannigan, Mike D.; Gowman, Lynn M.; Moritz, Max A. 2014. An analysis of controls on fire activity in boreal Canada: comparing models built with different temporal resolutions.
- Parks, Sean A.; Parisien, Marc-Andre; Miller, Carol; Dobrowski, Solomon Z. 2014. Fire activity and severity in the western US vary along proxy gradients representing fuel amount and fuel moisture.
- Parks, Sean A. 2014. Mapping day-of-burning with coarse-resolution satellite fire-detection data.
- Wang, Xianli; Parisien, Marc-Andre; Flannigan, Mike D.; Parks, Sean A.; Anderson, Kerry R.; Little, John M.; Taylor, Steve W. 2014. The potential and realized spread of wildfires across Canada.
- Squires, John R.; DeCesare, Nicholas J.; Olson, Lucretia E.; Kolbe, Jay A.; Hebblewhite, Mark; Parks, Sean A. 2013. Combining resource selection and movement behavior to predict corridors for Canada lynx at their southern range periphery.
- Schwartz, Michael; Saunder, Joel; Pilgrim, Kristine L.; Vinkey, Ray; Lucid, Michael K.; Parks, Sean; Albrecht, Nathan. 2013. Fisher population and landscape genetics.
- Hossack, Blake R.; Lowe, Winsor H.; Honeycutt, R. Ken; Parks, Sean A.; Corn, Paul Stephen. 2013. Interactive effects of wildfire, forest management, and isolation on amphibian and parasite abundance.
- Larson, Andrew J.; Belote, R. Travis; Cansler, C. Alina; Parks, Sean A.; Dietz, Matthew S. 2013. Latent resilience in ponderosa pine forest: effects of resumed frequent fire.
- Parks, Sean A.; Miller, Carol; Nelson, Cara R.; Holden, Zachary A. 2013. Previous fires moderate burn severity of subsequent wildland fires in two large western US wilderness areas.
- Parks, Sean A.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Schwartz, Michael K. 2012. Effects of weighting schemes on the identification of wildlife corridors generated with least-cost methods.
- Scott, Joe H.; Helmbrecht, Donald J.; Parks, Sean A.; Miller, Carol. 2012. Quantifying the threat of unsuppressed wildfires reaching the adjacent wildland-urban interface on the Bridger-Teton National Forest, Wyoming.
- Zielinski, William J.; Schlexer, Fredrick V.; Parks, Sean A.; Pilgrim, Kristine L.; Schwartz, Michael K. 2012. Small geographic range but not panmictic: how forests structure the endangered Point Arena mountain beaver (Aplodontia rufa nigra).
- Parks, Sean A.; Parisien, Marc-Andre; Miller, Carol. 2012. Spatial bottom-up controls on fire likelihood vary across western North America.
- McKelvey, Kevin S.; Copeland, Jeffrey P.; Schwartz, Michael K.; Littell, Jeremy S.; Aubry, Keith B.; Squires, John R.; Parks, Sean A.; Elsner, Marketa M.; Mauger, Guillaume S. 2011. Climate change predicted to shift wolverine distributions, connectivity, and dispersal corridors.
- Parisien, Marc-Andre; Parks, Sean A.; Miller, Carol; Krawchuck, Meg A.; Heathcott, Mark; Moritz, Max A. 2011. Contributions of ignitions, fuels, and weather to the spatial patterns of burn probability of a boreal landscape.
- Parks, Sean A.; Parisien, Marc-Andre; Miller, Carol. 2011. Multi-scale evaluation of the environmental controls on burn probability in a southern Sierra Nevada landscape.
- Parisien, Marc-Andre; Parks, Sean A.; Krawchuck, Meg A.; Flannigan, Mike D.; Bowman, Lynn M.; Moritz, Max A. 2011. Scale-dependent controls on the area burned in the boreal forest of Canada, 1980-2005.
- Manley, Patricia N.; Murphy, Dennis D.; Campbell, Lori A.; Heckmann, Kirsten E.; Merideth, Susan; Parks, Sean A.; Sanford, Monte P.; Schlesinger, Matthew D. 2006. Biotic diversity interfaces with urbanization in the Lake Tahoe basin.
|The Effectiveness of Wildfire as a Fuel Treatment|
New research results provide crucial information to land managers as they assess trade-offs associated with wildfire suppression and appropriate ...