60 Nowelo Street
Hilo, HI 96720
Contact Susan Cordell
Ecosystem level impacts of invasive grasses on Hawaiian dry forest ecosystems.
Mechanisms by which fountain grass limits Hawaiian dry forest native plant establishment and growth by manipulating fountain grass, available water, and available light separately and in concert.
Functional ecology and phenology of dry forest canopy trees.
Investigating the role that native plant reforestation plays in reducing fine fuel load hazards and reversing the cumulative adverse ecosystem level effects of monotypic stands of invasive grasses in leeward Hawaii
Impacts of invasive species on lowland forest ecosystem processes, specifically, rainfall interception, plant water use and acquisition, light availability and plant productivity.
Ecophysiology, Restoration Ecology, Functional Ecology, Tropical Dry Ecosystems, Grass Invasions, Hawaiian EcosystemsFuture Research
Continue developing research and collaborating with local communities to advance effective conservation, preservation, and restoration-related land management efforts.
- University of Hawaii, Ph.D. Botany, 1999
- University of Hawaii, M.S. Botany, 1996
- Santa Barbara, B.A. Aquatic Biology, 1987
- Botanical Society of America, Member
- Ecological Society of America, Member
- Society for Ecological Restoration, Member
Publications & Products
- Questad, E.; Kellner, J.R.; Kinney, K.; Cordell, S.; Asner, G.P.; Thaxton, J.; Diep, J.; Uowolo, A.; Brooks, S.; Inman-Narahari, N.; Evans, S.; Tucker, B. 2014. Mapping habitat suitability for at-risk plants and its implications for restoration and reintroduction.
- Chynoweth, Mark W.; Litton, Creighton M.; Lepczyk, Christopher A.; Hess, Steven C.; Cordell, Susan. 2013. Biology and impacts of Pacific island invasive species: Capra hircus, the feral goat, (Mammalia: Bovidae).
- Cram, Douglas; Cordell, Susan; Friday, James B.; Giardina, Christian; Litton, Creighton M.; Moller, Eric; Pickett, Elizabeth. 2013. Fire and drought in paradise – Say it isn’t so, Smokey.
- Inman-Narahari, Faith; Ostertag, Rebecca; Cordell, Susan; Giardian, Christian P.; Kehauwealani, Nelson-Kaula; Sack, Lawren. 2013. Seedling recruitment factors in low-diversity Hawaiian wet forest: towards global comparisons among tropical forests.
- Cordell, Susan. 2012. Former Hawaii Restoration Ecologist Now Favors 'Tinkering' Over Rigor. Review of Cabin, Robert J. 2011. Intelligent tinkering: bridging the gap between science and practice..
- Kellner, James R.; Asner, Gregory P.; Cordell, Susan; Thaxton, Jarrod M.; Kinney, Kealoha M.; Kennedy-Bowdoin, Ty; Knapp, David E.; Questad, Erin F.; Ambagis, Stephen. 2012. Historical land-cover classification for conservation and management in Hawaiian subalpine drylands.
- Thaxton, Jared M.; Cordell, Susan; Cabin, Robert J.; Sandquist, Darren R. 2012. Non-native grass removal and shade increase soil moisture and seedling performance during Hawaiian dry forest restoration.
- Questad, Erin J.; Thaxton, Jarrod M.; Cordell, Susan. 2012. Patterns and consequences of re-invasion into a Hawaiian dry forest restoration.
- Kellner, James R.; Asner, Gregory P.; Kinney, Kealoha M.; Loarie, Scott R.; Knapp, David E.; Kennedy-Bowdoin, Ty; Questad, Erin J.; Cordell, Susan; Thaxton, Jarrod M. 2011. Remote analysis of biological invasion and the impact of enemy release.
- Adkins, Edith N.; Cordell, Susan; Drake, Donald R. 2011. Role of fire in the germination ecology of fountain grass (Pennisetum setaceum), an invasive African bunchgrass in Hawaii.
- Agoncillo, Oliver; Conje, Jennifer; Cordell, Susan; Halperin, James; Karia, Roopa; Lebow, Beth. 2011. Sustainable Landscapes Assessment for the Philippines.
- Inman-Narahari, F.; Giardina, C.; Ostertag, R.; Cordell, S.; Sack, L. 2010. Digital data collection in forest dynamics plots.
- Chynoweth, Mark; Litton, Creighton M.; Lepczyk, Christopher A.; Cordell, Susan. 2010. Feral goats in the Hawaiian Islands: understanding the behavioral ecology of nonnative ungulates with GPS and remote sensing technology.
- Thaxton, Jarrod M.; Cole, T. Colleen; Cordell, Susan; Cabin, Robert J.; Sandquist, Darren R.; Litton, Creighton M. 2010. Native species regeneration following ungulate exclusion and nonnative grass removal in a remnant Hawaiian dry forest.
- Holl, K. D.; Zahawi, R. A.; Cole, R. J.; Ostertag, R.; Cordell, S. 2010. Planting seedlings in tree islands versus plantations as a large-scale tropical forest restoration strategy.
- Brooks, S.; Cordell, S.; Perry, L. 2009. Broadcast seeding as a potential tool to reestablish native species in degraded dry forest ecosystems in Hawaii.
- Ostertag, R.; Cordell, S.; Michaud, J.; Cole, T.C.; Schulten, J.R.; Publico, K.M.; Enoka, J.H. 2009. Ecosystem and restoration consequences of invasive woody species removal in Hawaiian lowland wet forest.
- Cordell, S.; Ostertag, R.; Rowe, B.; Sweinhart, L.; Vasquez-Radonic, L.; Michaud, J.; Cole, T.C.; Schulten, J.R. 2009. Evaluating barriers to native seedling establishment in an invaded Hawaiian lowland wet forest.
- Kling, Jim; Featured: Denslow, Julie; Johnson, Tracy; Cordell, Susan. 2008. Repelling invaders: Hawaiian foresters use ecology to counter invasive species.
- Cordell, Susan; McClellan, Moana; Yarber Carter, Yvonne; Hadway, Lisa J. 2008. Towards restoration of Hawaiian tropical dry forests: the Kaupulehu outplanting programme.
- Giardina, Christian P.; Litton, Creighton M.; Thaxton, Jarrod M.; Cordell, Susan; Hadway, Lisa J.; Sandquist, Darren R. 2007. Science driven restoration: A candle in a demon haunted world—response to cabin.
|Breaking the Grass-Fire Cycle in Dryland Ecosystems in Hawai'i|
Scientists develop practical tools to manage and restore tropical dry forest landscapes on military lands in the Pacific
|Hawaii Vegetation Fire Risk Web Tool|
Fires in Hawai'i are fueled mainly by invasive, perennial grasses, since they maintain aboveground live and senescent biomass throughout the yea ...
|Pacific Fire Exchange Is the Hottest Partnership in the Pacific|
A new collaboration promotes and uses the best available science to reduce wildfire management costs and improve land managers' ability to prote ...