4955 Canyon Crest Drive
Riverside, CA 92507
Contact Shyh-Chin Chen
My work focuses on fire danger prediction, with a goal of mitigating the threat seasonal wildfires pose to lives, properties, and landscapes in Southern California's highly populated and fire-prone region.
Developing fire danger forecasts using meteorological climate models. Such applications are critical to fire danger management. I also simulate largescale weather patterns, which help to explain variations in regional climate.
In the future, I will continue to focus on fire danger and behavior predictions to contribute to the protection of communities.
- University of Illinois, Ph.D. Atmospheric Sciences, 1987
- Research Meteorologist, Pacific Southwest Research Station, USDA
2004 - Current
- Associate Director, Experimental Climate Prediction Center, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/University of California, San Diego
1996 - 2003
- Associate Research Meteorologist, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/University of California, San Diego
1995 - 2003
- Assistant Research Meteorologist, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/University of California, San Diego
1989 - 1995
- Postgraduate Research Meteorologist, Scripps Institution of Oceanography/University of California, San Diego
1987 - 1989
- Visiting Scientist, National Center for Atmospheric Research
1986 - 1987
- Benoit, John W.; González-Cabán, Armando; Fujioka, Francis M.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Sanchez, José J. 2013. Spatial Allocation Of Market And Nonmarket Values In Wildland Fire Management: A Case Study.
- Jin, Sen; Chen, Shyh-Chin. 2012. Application Of Quickbird Imagery In Fuel Load Estimation In The Daxinganling Region, China..
- Daniels, A.E.; Morrison, J.F.; Joyce, L.A.; Crookston, N.L.; Chen, S.C.; McNulty, S.G. 2012. Climate Projections Faq.
- Roads, J.; Tripp, P.; Juang, H.; Wang, J.; Fujioka, F.; Chen, S. 2010. Ncep-Ecpc Monthly To Seasonal Us Fire Danger Forecasts.
- Chen, Shyh-Chin; Preisler, Haiganoush; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Roads, John O. 2009. Seasonal Predictions For Wildland Fire Severity.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Westerling, Anthony L. 2008. Wildland Fire Probabilities Estimated From Weather Model-Deduced Monthly Mean Fire Danger Indices.
- Hui, David; Shum, Karen; Chen, Ji; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Ritchie, Jack; Roads, John. 2007. Case Studies Of Seasonal Rainfall Forecasts For Hong Kong And Its Vicinity Using A Regional Climate Model.
- Lee, Ching-Teng; Wu, Ming-Chin; Chen, Shyh-Chin. 2005. Regional Spectral Model Simulations Of The Summertime Regional Climate Over Taiwan And Adjacent Areas.
- Roads, J.; Fujioka, F.; Chen, S.; Burgan, R. 2005. Seasonal Fire Danger Forecasts For The Usa.
|FireBusting Weather Forecasts|
FireBuster is a new web tool to produce timely, detailed 72-hour high-resolution forecasts of fire weather in mountainous areas over Southern Ca ...
|Long Range Prediction for Fire Danger and Fire Severity|
Predicting the influence of weather on fire ignition and spread is an operational requirement for national fire planning by the National Interag ...