4955 Canyon Crest Drive
Riverside, CA 92507
Contact Shyh-Chin Chen
My work focuses on fire danger prediction, with a goal of mitigating the threat seasonal wildfires pose to lives, properties, and landscapes in Southern California's highly populated and fire-prone region.
Developing fire danger forecasts using meteorological climate models. Such applications are critical to fire danger management. I also simulate largescale weather patterns, which help to explain variations in regional climate.
In the future, I will continue to focus on fire danger and behavior predictions to contribute to the protection of communities.
- University of Illisnois, Ph.D. Atmospheric Sciences,
Publications & Products
- Benoit, John W.; González-Cabán, Armando; Fujioka, Francis M.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Sanchez, José J. 2013. Spatial allocation of market and nonmarket values in wildland fire management: A case study.
- Jin, Sen; Chen, Shyh-Chin. 2012. Application of QuickBird imagery in fuel load estimation in the Daxinganling region, China..
- Daniels, A.E.; Morrison, J.F.; Joyce, L.A.; Crookston, N.L.; Chen, S.C.; McNulty, S.G. 2012. Climate projections FAQ.
- Roads, J.; Tripp, P.; Juang, H.; Wang, J.; Fujioka, F.; Chen, S. 2010. NCEP-ECPC monthly to seasonal US fire danger forecasts.
- Chen, Shyh-Chin; Preisler, Haiganoush; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Roads, John O. 2009. Seasonal predictions for wildland fire severity.
- Preisler, Haiganoush K.; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Fujioka, Francis; Benoit, John W.; Westerling, Anthony L. 2008. Wildland fire probabilities estimated from weather model-deduced monthly mean fire danger indices.
- Hui, David; Shum, Karen; Chen, Ji; Chen, Shyh-Chin; Ritchie, Jack; Roads, John. 2007. Case studies of seasonal rainfall forecasts for Hong Kong and its vicinity using a regional climate model.
- Lee, Ching-Teng; Wu, Ming-Chin; Chen, Shyh-Chin. 2005. Regional Spectral Model simulations of the summertime regional climate over Taiwan and adjacent areas.
- Roads, J.; Fujioka, F.; Chen, S.; Burgan, R. 2005. Seasonal fire danger forecasts for the USA.
|Long Range Prediction for Fire Danger and Fire Severity|
Predicting the influence of weather on fire ignition and spread is an operational requirement for national fire planning by the National Interag ...
|Seasonal Prediction for Fire Danger||2012|