Susan B. Adams
Fisheries Research Scientist
1000 Front Street
Oxford, MS 38655-4915
Phone: 662-234-2744 x267
Contact Susan B. Adams
Conduct research on the biology and community ecology of native, warmwater fishes and on the ecology of bottomland streams and rivers at various spatial and temporal scales.Research is directed toward understand the structure of fish populations and communities as well as mechanisms contributing to the structure.I am interested in the influences of upland, riparian and riverine land uses on the structure and functioning of streams and their biota;the impacts of loss of connectivity between rivers and off-channel habitats are of particular interest.Studies will include aspects of fish population dynamics, life history variability, behavior (including movements), habitat use, species interactions, influences of nonnative biota, and physical and chemical characteristics of streams and connected floodplains and wetlands.
- The University of Montana, Missoula, Ph.D. Organismal Biology and Ecology, 1999
- University of Idaho, Moscow, M.S. Fisheries Resources, 1994
- Carleton College, B.A. Biology, 1986
Featured Publications & Products
- Adams, Susan B.; Burnett, Kelly M.; Bisson, Peter; Harvey, Bret; Nislow, Keith H.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Rinne, John. 2010. The role of the Forest Service in aquatic invasive species research.
- Mickle, P. F.; Schaefer, J.F.; Adams, S.B.; Kreiser, B.R. 2010. Habitat use of age 0 Alabama shad in the Pascagoula River drainage, USA.
- Adams, Susan B.; Taylor, Christopher A.; Lukhaup, Chris. 2010. Crayfish fauna of the Tennessee River drainage in Mississippi, including new state species records.
- Adams, S. B. 2008. Female reproductive characteristics of three species in the Orconectes subgenus Trisellescens and comparisons to other Orconectes species.
- Meadows, Dwayne W.; Adams, Susan B.; Schaefer, Jacob F. 2007. Threatened fishes of the world: Alosa alabamae (Jordan and Evermann, 1896) (Clupeidae).
Publications & Products
- Adams, Susan B. 2014. Crayfish use of trash versus natural cover in incised, sand-bed streams.
- Mickle, Paul F.; Schaefer, Jacob; Yee, Donald A.; Adams, Susan B. 2013. Diet of juvenile Alabama shad (Alosa alabamae) in two northern Gulf of Mexico drainages.
- Adams, Susan B. 2013. Effects of small impoundments on downstream crayfish assemblages.
- Rieman, Bruce E.; Isaak, Daniel; Adams, Susan; Horan, Dona; Nagel, David; Luce, Charles; Myers, Deborah. 2007. Anticipated climate warming effects on bull trout habitats and populations across the interior Columbia River basin.
- Adams, Susan B.; Schmetterline, David A. 2007. Freshwater sculpins: phylogenetics to ecology.
- Adams, Susan B.; Hamel, Paul B.; Connor, Kristina; Burke, Bryce; Gardiner, Emile S.; Wise, David. 2007. Potential roles of fish, birds, and water in swamp privet (Forestiera acuminata) seed dispersal.
- Adams, Susan B. 2006. Dainties of the first order.
- Adams, Susan B. 2006. Direct and indirect effects of channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) on native crayfishes (Cambaridae) in experimental tanks.
- Adams, Susan B.; Schmetterling, David A.; Young, Michael K. 2005. Instream movements by boreal toads (Bufo boreas boreas).
- Adams, Susan B. 2005. Katrina: boon or bust for freshwater fish communities?.
- Adams, Susan B.; Warren, Melvin L. 2005. Recolonization by warmwater fishes and crayfishes after severe drought in upper coastal plain hill streams.
- Williams, Lance R.; Warren, Melvin L.; Adams, Susan B.; Arvai, Joseph L.; Taylor, Christopher M. 2004. Basin Visual Estimation Technique (BVET) and Representative Reach Approaches to Wadeable Stream Surveys: Methodological Limitations and Future Directions.
- Adams, Susan B.; Warren, Melvin L.; Haag, Wendell R. 2004. Spatial and temporal patterns in fish assemblages of upper coastal plain streams, Mississippi, USA.
- Schmetterling, David A.; Adams, Susan B. 2004. Summer Movements within the Fish Community of a Small Montane Stream.
- Dunham, Jason B.; Adams, Susan B.; Schroeter, Robert E.; Novinger, Douglas C. 2002. Alien invasions in aquatic ecosystems: toward an understanding of brook trout invasions and potential impacts on inland cutthroat trout in western North America.
- Adams, Susan B.; Frissell, Christopher A.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2001. Geography of invasion in mountain streams: consequences of headwater lake fish introductions.
- Adams, Susan B.; Frissell, Christopher A. 2001. Thermal Habitat Use and Evidence of Seasonal Migration by Rocky Mountain Tailed Frogs, Ascaphus montanus, in Montana.
- Warren, Melvin L.; Haag, Wendell R.; Adams, Susan B. 2000. Forest linkages to diversity and abundancein lowland stream fish communities.
- Adams, Susan B.; Frissell, Christopher A.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2000. Movements of nonnative brook trout in relation to stream channel slope.
- Adams, Susan B.; Bjornn, Theodore C. 1997. Bull trout distributions related to temperature regimes in four central Idaho streams.