Ronald C. Sabo
Research Materials Engineer
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact Ronald C. Sabo
Dr. Ron Sabo's research aims at developing next generation composites using sustainable forest resources and a fundamental understanding of material properties and interactions. His work aims to develop advanced composites by understanding and exploiting the properties of materials at the nanometer and molecular scales. More specifically, he is working to develop novel composites produced from natural fibers that have been processed and modified into nanoparticles and nanofibers with unique physical and mechanical properties. Dr. Sabo also has research activities aimed at developing 'green' composites using biodegradable, bio-derived, or recycled materials.
- Cellulose nanocomposites
- 'Green' composites
- Modification and characterization of lignocellulosic surfaces
- Reactive extrusion
- Colloidal and interfacial phenomena
- University of Florida, Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, 2001
- Vanderbilt University, B.E. Chemical Engineering and Mathematics, 1997
Featured Publications & Products
- Agarwal, Umesh P.; Sabo, R.; Reiner, Richard S.; Clemons, Craig Merrill; Rudie, Alan W. 2009.
Raman analysis and mapping of cellulose nanocrystal-polypropylene composite.
- Sabo, Ronald; Clausen, Carol A.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2008. Thermochemical remediation of preservative-treated wood.
- Sabo, Ronald; Winandy, Jerrold E.; Clausen, Carol A.; Basta, Altaf. 2008. Remediation and recycling of WBP-treated lumber for use as flakeboard.
- Postek, Michael T.; Vladar, Andras; Dagata, John; Farkas, Natalia; Ming, Bin; Sabo, Ronald; Wegner, Theodore H.; Beecher, James. 2008. Cellulose nanocrystals the next big nano-thing?.
Publications & Products
- Qamhia, Issam I.; Sabo, Ronald C.; Elhajjar, Rani F. 2014. Static and Dynamic Characterization of Cellulose Nanofibril Scaffold-Based Composites.
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Zhu, J.Y.; Agarwal, Umesh; Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Yiqiang. 2013. A comparative study of cellulose nanofibrils disintegrated via multiple processing approaches.
- Agarwal, Umesh; Sabo, Ronald; Reiner, Richard; Clemons, Craig; Rudie, Alan. 2013. Chapter 1.4 Spatially Resolved Charaterization of CNC-Polypropylene Composite by Confocal Raman Microscopy.
- Sabo, Ronald; Zhu, J.Y. 2013. Chapter 2.1 Integrated Production of Cellulose Nanofibrils and Cellulosic Biofuel by Enzymatic Hydrolysis of wood Fibers.
- Sabo, Ronald; Seo, Jung-Hun; Ma, Zhenqiang. 2013. Chapter 2.3 Cellulose Nanofibril Composite Substrates for Flexible Electronics.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Rudie, Alan W.; Stark, Nicole M.; Sabo, Ronald C.; Ralph, Sally A. 2013. Chapter 6: New Products and Product Categories in the Global Forest Sector.
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Zhu, J.Y.; Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Yiqiang. 2013. Comparative study of cellulose nanofibrils Disintegrated from different Approaches.
- Sabo, Ronald; Jin, Liwei; Stark, Nicole; Ibach, Rebecca E. 2013. Effect of environmental conditions on the mechanical properties and fungal degradation of polycaprolactone/microcrystalline cellulose/wood flour composites.
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Yiqiang. 2013. Flexible cellulose nanofibril composite films with reduced hygroscopic capacity.
- Sabo, Ronald; Basta, Altaf H.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2013. Integrated Study of the Potential Application of Remediated CCA Treated Spruce Wood in MDF Production.
- Zheng, Qifeng; Javadi, Alireza; Sabo, Ronald; Cai, Zhiyong; Gong, Shaoqin. 2013. Polyvinyl alcohol (PVA)-cellulose nanofibril (CNF)-multiwalled carbon nanotube (MWCNT) hybrid organic aerogels with superior mechanical properties.
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Cai, Zhiyong; Wu, Yiqiang. 2013. Resin impregnation of cellulose nanofibril films facilitated by water swelling.
- Sabo, Ronald; Seo, Jung-Hun; Ma, Zhenqiang. 2012. Cellulose Nanofiber Composite Substrates for Flexible Electronics.
- Srithep, Yottha; Sabo, Ronald; Clemons, Craig; Turng, Lih-Sheng; Pilla, Srikanth; Peng, Jun. 2012. Effect of Material Parameters on Mechanical Properties of Biodegradable Polymers/Nanofibrillated Cellulose (NFC) Nano Composites.
- Qing, Yan; Sabo, Ronald; Wu, Yiqiang; Cai, Zhiyong. 2012. High-Performance Cellulose Nanofibril Composite Films.
- Srithep, Yottha; Turng, Lih-Sheng; Sabo, Ronald; Clemons, Craig. 2012. Nanofibrillated cellulose (NFC) reinforced polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH) nanocomposites: properties, solubility of carbon dioxide, and foaming.
- Agarwal, Umesh P.; Sabo, Ronald; Reiner, Richard S.; Clemons, Craig M.; Rudie, Alan W. 2012. Spatially Resolved Characterization of Cellulose Nanocrystal-Polypropylene Composite by Confocal Raman Microscopy.
- Postek, Michael T.; Vladar, Andras; Dagata, John; Farkas, Natalia; Ming, Bin; Wagner, Ryan; Raman, Arvind; Moon, Robert J.; Sabo, Ronald; Wegner, Theodore H.; Beecher, James. 2011. Development of the metrology and imaging of cellulose nanocrystals.
- Clemons, Craig M.; Sabo, Ronald C.; Kaland, Michael L.; Hirth, Kolby C. 2011. Effects of silane on the properties of wood-plastic composites with polyethylene-polypropylene blends as matrices.
- Zhu, Junyong; Sabo, Ronald; Luo, Xiaolin. 2011. Integrated production of nano-fibrillated cellulose and cellulosic biofuel (ethanol) by enzymatic fractionation of wood fibers.
- Basta, Altaf H.; El-Saied, Houssni; Winandy, Jerrold E.; Sabo, Ronald. 2011. Preformed amide-containing biopolymer for improving the environmental performance of synthesized urea–formaldehyde in agro-fiber composites.
- Clemons, Craig M.; Sabo, Ronald C.; Hirth, Kolby C. 2011. The effects of different silane crosslinking approaches on composites of polyethylene blends and wood flour.
|Cellulose Nanofiber Composites Can Serve as Substrate for Flexible Electronics|
Transparent films made from cellulose nanofibers have low thermal expansion and the potential to serve as a foundation for flexible electronics. ...
|Improved Composites from Wood Flour and Mixed Plastics|
In a cooperative project with Louisiana State University, Forest Products Laboratory researchers have used crosslinking technologies, commonly u ...
|Integrating the Production of Nanofibrillated Cellulose and Biofuels|
FPL researchers have demonstrated a method of integrating the production of cellulose nanofibers and biofuels. Such a strategy is expected to im ...