Robert C Musselman
Research Plant Physiologist
240 West Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526-2098
Contact Robert C Musselman
Ozone in Colorado high elevation ecosystems, Energy development and air quality in natural ecosystems, Water quality of wilderness lakes, Ozone flux and the National Ambient Air Quality Standard (NAAQS) for ozone, Reproduction of aspen and other woody plants on reclaimed surface coal mine lands, Long-term monitoring of meteorology, air quality, and hydrology at the Glacier Lakes, Ecosystem Experiments Site (GLEES), Ozone at high elevation ecosystems in Colorado is near exceedence levels for NAAQS. Energy development can cause deterioration of air quality in high elevation ecosystems. Wilderness lakes are highly sensitive to atmospheric deposition, A NAAQS for ozone should include a separate secondary standard for vegetation. Reproduction of woody plants on reclaimed coal mine lands requires fencing, irrigation, and protection from competing vegetation. Atmospheric deposition at the GLEES is increasing.
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, Ph.D. ,
Featured Publications & Products
- Musselman, R .C.; Smith, F. W.; Shepperd, W. D.; Asherin, L. A.; Gee, B. W. 2009. The use of landscape fabric and supplemental irrigation to enhance survival and growth of woody perennials planted on reclaimed surface mine lands.
- Heath, Robert L.; Lefohn, Allen S.; Musselman, Robert C. 2009. Temporal processes that contribute to nonlinearity in vegetation responses to ozone exposure and dose.
- Paoletti, Elena; Bytnerowicz, ; Andersen, Chris; Augustaitis, Algirdas; Ferretti, Marco; Grulke, Nancy; Gunthardt-goerg, Madeleine S.; Innes, John; Johnson, Dale; Karnosky, Dave; Luangjame, Jessada; Matyssek, Rainer; McNulty, Steven; Muller-Starck, Gerhard; Musselman, Robert; Percy, Kevin. 2007. Impacts of air pollution and climate change on forest ecosystems - emerging research needs.
Publications & Products
- Musselman, Robert C.; Shepperd, Wayne D.; Smith, Frederick W.; Asherin, Lance A.; Gee, Brian W. 2012. Response of transplanted aspen to irrigation and weeding on a Colorado reclaimed surface coal mine.
- Musselman, Robert. 2012. Sampling procedure for lake or stream surface water chemistry.
- Musselman, Robert C.; Lefohn, Allen S.; Massman, William J.; Heath, Robert L. 2006. A critical review and analysis of the use of exposure- and flux-based ozone indices for predicting vegetation effects.
- Musselman, Robert C. 2006. Critical levels as applied to ozone for North American forests.
- Wieser, G.; Matyssek, R.; Musselman, R. C.; Lefohn, A. S.; Massman, W. J. 2006. Glossary: Definitions of relevancy for the 'flux concept' in ozone risk assessment.
- Musselman, R. C.; Massman, W. J.; Frank, J. M.; Korfmacher, J. L. 2005. The temporal dynamics of carbon dioxide under snow in a high elevation Rocky Mountain subalpine forest and meadow.
- Haddow, Dennis; Musselman, Robert; Blett, Tamara; Fisher, Richard. 1998. Guidelines for evaluating air pollution impacts on wilderness within the Rocky Mountain Region: Report of a workshop, 1990.
- Musselman, Robert C.; Zeller, Karl F.; Nikolov, Nedialko T. 1998. Ozone and modeled stomatal conductance at a high elevation subalpine site in southeastern Wyoming.
- Regan, Claudia M.; Musselman, Robert C.; Haines, June D. 1997. Vegetation of the Glacier Lakes Ecosystem Experiments Site.
- Musselman, Robert C.; Hudnell, Laura; Williams, Mark W.; Sommerfeld, Richard A. 1996. Water chemistry of Rocky Mountain Front Range aquatic ecosystems.
- Musselman, R. C. 1994. Air quality [Chapter 8].
- Haines, J. D.; Musselman, R. C.; Regan, C. M. 1994. Floristics [Chapter 3].
- Musselman, R. C.; Fox, D. G; Schoettle, A. W.; Regan, C. M. 1994. Introduction [Chapter 1].
- Musselman, R. C. 1994. The Glacier Lakes Ecosystem Experiments Site.
|Ozone Air Pollution Threatens Remote National Forest Mountain Areas||2012|
|Ozone Air Pollution Threatens Remote National Forest Mountain Areas|
Scientists are using a portable battery-powered monitor to evaluate O3 at several high-elevation, remote locations in the Rocky Mountain West