Richard A. Mackenzie
60 Nowelo Street
Hilo, HI 96720
Phone: 808-933-8121 x116
Impacts of invasive species, climate change, and disturbance on ecological function of Pacific Island streams, coastal wetlands and mangroves; ecology and community dynamics of fish and invertebrates in streams, coastal wetlands, and mangroves; quantifying ecosystems services of mangrove forests.
Video / Multimedia
Climate Change and Native Hawaiian Shrimp
The life cycle of native Hawaiian shrimp depends heavily on stream flow to carry them out to sea. A warmer, drier climate means less water in the streams, which could jeopardize their viability. In this video, PSW research ecologist Dr. Rich MacKenzie talks about his research on the shrimp and what they tell us about the surrounding ecosystem. [length: 5:13]
Habitat Value of Mangroves for Fish in Micronesia
Discussing the Kosrae and Yap islands of Micronesia [length: 22:27]
- University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee, Ph.D. Invertebrate Zoology, Biogeochemistry minor, 2001
- University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire, B.S. Zoology, 1993
Featured Publications & Products
- Atwood, Trisha B.; Wiegner, Tracy N.; MacKenzie, Richard A. 2012. Effects of hydrological forcing on the structure of a tropical estuarine food web.
- MacKenzie, Richard A.; Cormier, Nicole. 2012. Stand structure influences nekton community composition and provides protection from natural disturbance in Micronesian mangroves.
- Donato, D.C.; Kauffman, J.B.; Mackenzie, R.A.; Ainsworth, A.; Pfleeger, A.Z. 2012. Whole-island carbon stocks in the tropical Pacific: Implications for mangrove conservation and upland restoration.
Publications & Products
- Strauch, Ayron M.; Mackenzie, Richard A.; Bruland, Gregory L.; Tingley, Ralph; Giardina, Christian P. 2014. Climate change and land use drivers of fecal bacteria in tropical Hawaiian rivers.
- Dalton, C. M.; Mokiao-Lee, A.; Sakihara, T. S.; Weber, M. G.; Roco, C. A.; Han, Z.; Dudley, B.; MacKenzie, R. A.; Hairston Jr., N. G. 2013. Density- and trait-mediated top-down effects modify bottom-up control of a highly endemic tropical aquatic food web.
- Holitzki, Tara; MacKenzie, Richard A.; Wiegner, Tracy N.; McDermid, Karla J. 2013. Differences in ecological structure, function, and native species abundance between native and invaded Hawaiian streams.
- MacKenzie, Richard A.; Kryss, Cailtin L. 2013. Impacts of exotic mangroves and mangrove control on tide pool fish assemblages.
- MacKenzie, Richard A.; Wiegner, Tracy N.; Kinslow, Frances; Cormier, Nicole; Strauch, Ayron M. 2013. Leaf-litter inputs from an invasive nitrogen-fixing tree influence organic-matter dynamics and nitrogen inputs in a Hawaiian river.
- MacKenzie, Richard Ames; Bruland, Gregory L. 2012. Nekton communities in Hawaiian coastal wetlands: The distribution and abundance of introduced fish species.
- Bruland, Gregory L.; Mackenzie, Richard A. 2010. Nitrogen source tracking with δ15N content of coastal wetland plants in Hawaii.
- Atwood, Trisha B.; N. Wiegner, Tracy; P. Turner, Jason; MacKenzie, Richard A. 2010. Potential effects of an invasive nitrogen-fixing tree on a Hawaiian stream food web.