R. Justin DeRose
507 - 25th Street
Contact R. Justin DeRose
Currently, my research focuses on the relationships between forest pattern and disturbance processes by integrating multiple scales of space and time. I also research forest growth yield modeling, carbon sequestration, fire behavior modeling, and dendrochronological applications to forest management.
In general, my research interests cover spatial scales from trees to stands to landscapes and temporal scales of nearly a millennia. Particular topics includes disturbance ecology, production ecology, growth and yield modeling, fire behavior modeling, dendroecology, dendrohydrology, and developing tools to influence forest management. For example, I am currently using the IM FIA annual data to model risk factors associated with spruce beetle outbreaks in order to provide managers with guidance on when, where, and how to treat Engelmann spruce forests.
My research shifts the focus of forest management to larger scales by helping to understand how processes such as disturbance and climate shape forest ecosystems. In the face of climate change and rapidly shifting public perception of resource management, my research approach provides novel interpretation of pressing management issues.
Why This Research is Important
Previous research includes production ecology, growth and yield modeling, and disturbance interactions. While some of this past research is complete, I am still heavily involved in nearly every aspect of my current research interests.
- Utah State University, Ecology , 2009
- University of Maine, Forestry , 2004
- Utah State University, Forestry , 2002
- DeRose, R. J.; Bekker, M. F.; Wang, S.-Y.; Buckley, B. M.; Kjelgren, R. K.; Bardsley, T.; Rittenour, T. M.; Allen, E. B. 2015. A Millennium-Length Reconstruction Of Bear River Stream Flow, Utah.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Mock, Karen E.; Long, James N. 2015. Cytotype Differences In Radial Increment Provide Novel Insight Into Aspen Reproductive Ecology And Stand Dynamics.
- Bekker, Matthew F.; DeRose, R. Justin; Buckley, Brendan M.; Kjelgren, Roger K.; Gill, Nathan S. 2014. A 576-Year Weber River Streamflow Reconstruction From Tree Rings For Water Resource Risk Assessment In The Wasatch Front, Utah.
- DeRose, Robert J.; Long, James N. 2014. Resistance And Resilience: A Conceptual Framework For Silviculture.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Leffler, A. Joshua. 2014. Simulation Of Quaking Aspen Potential Fire Behavior In Northern Utah, Usa.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Wang, Shih-Yu; Buckley, Brendan M.; Bekker, Matthew F. 2014. Tree-Ring Reconstruction Of The Level Of Great Salt Lake, Usa.
- Vacchiano, Giorgio; DeRose, R. Justin; Shaw, John D.; Svoboda, Miroslav; Motta, Renzo. 2013. A Density Management Diagram For Norway Spruce In The Temperate Europe Montane Region.
- Allen, Eric B.; Rittenour, Tammy M.; DeRose, R. Justin; Bekker, Matthew F.; Kjelgren, Roger; Buckley, Brendan M. 2013. A Tree-Ring Based Reconstruction Of Logan River Streamflow, Northern Utah.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Bentz, Barbara J.; Long, James N.; Shaw, John D. 2013. Effect Of Increasing Temperatures On The Distribution Of Spruce Beetle In Engelmann Spruce Forests Of The Interior West, Usa.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Wang, Shih-Yu; Shaw, John D. 2013. Feasibility Of High-Density Climate Reconstruction Based On Forest Inventory And Analysis (Fia) Collected Tree-Ring Data.
- Morris, Jesse L.; Brunelle, Andrea; DeRose, R. Justin; Seppa, Heikki; Power, Mitchell J.; Carter, Vachel; Bares, Ryan. 2013. Using Fire Regimes To Delineate Zones In A High-Resolution Lake Sediment Record From The Western United States.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Long, James N. 2012. Drought-Driven Disturbance History Characterizes A Southern Rocky Mountain Subalpine Forest.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Long, James N. 2012. Factors Influencing The Spatial And Temporal Dynamics Of Engelmann Spruce Mortality During A Spruce Beetle Outbreak On The Markagunt Plateau, Utah.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Wang, W. Shih-Yu (Simon); Shaw, John D. 2012. Investigating Forest Inventory And Analysis-Collected Tree-Ring Data From Utah As A Proxy For Historical Climate.
- DeRose, R. Justin; Seymour, Robert S. 2012. Leaf Area And Structural Changes After Thinning In Even-Aged Picea Rubens And Abies Balsamea Stands In Maine, Usa.
- Moore, Patrick T.; DeRose, R. Justin; Long, James N.; van Miegroet, Helga. 2012. Using Silviculture To Influence Carbon Sequestration In Southern Appalachian Spruce-Fir Forests.
- Ex, Seth A.; DeRose, Robert; Long, James N. 2011. Stand Development And Population Dynamics Of Curlleaf Mountain Mahogany (Cercocarpus Ledifolius Nutt.) Woodlands In Utah'S Bear River Mountains.
- Sharik, Terry L.; Adair, William; Baker, Fred A.; Battaglia, Michael; Comfort, Emily J.; D'Amato, Anthony W.; Delong, Craig; DeRose, R. Justin; Ducey, Mark J.; Harmon, Mark; Levy, Louise; Logan, Jesse A.; O'Brien, Joseph; Palik, Brian J.; Roberts, Scott D.; Rogers, Paul C.; Shinneman, Douglas J.; Spies, Thomas; Taylor, Sarah L.; Woodall, Christopher; Youngblood, Andrew. 2010. Emerging Themes In The Ecology And Management Of North American Forests.
|Predicting Future Spruce Beetle Infestations|
Scientists model the effects of increasing temperatures and forest stand conditions on the likelihood of spruce beetle infestation over time