Robin J. Innes
Technical Information Specialist
I synthesize available literature regarding species� responses to fire for the FEIS website. Writing FEIS reviews involves locating, summarizing, and integrating information about the biology and fire ecology of plant and animal species for land managers and the public.
My research has largely focused on wildlife species' habitat relationships and plant disturbance ecology.
Land managers must make complex decisions that incorporate a vast amount of information that tends to be spread through many publications. My research is important because it provides a single, easily accessible source of information for land managers, where knowledge available in the scientific literature has been analyzed, discussed, and synthesized into concise reviews of plant and animal species.
Why This Research is Important
I have designed and conducted biological surveys of wildlife and their habitats in wetland and terrestrial ecosystems over the past 13 years. Before writing for FEIS, I led an integrative project that investigated the effect of vegetation manipulation on small mammals, particularly the prey of the California spotted owl, a species of concern in California. My other accomplishments include contributing to the writing of many peer-reviewed articles, reports, and technical documents, which have provided novel information to resource managers regarding wildlife species� habitat relationships, social behavior, and movements.
- University of New Hampshire, BS Wildlife Management, 2001
- University of California Davis, MS Ecology, 2006
Publications & Products
- Innes, Robin J.; Heinsch, Faith Ann; Lee, Kristine M. 2014. 2013 Annual Report: Fire Modeling Institute.
- Heinsch, Faith Ann; Innes, Robin J.; Hardy, Colin C.; Lee, Kristine M. 2014. Fire, Fuel, and Smoke Science Program: 2013 Research accomplishments.
- Keane, Robert E.; Dillon, Greg; Drury, Stacy; Innes, Robin; Morgan, Penny; Lutes, Duncan; Prichard, Susan J.; Smith, Jane; Strand, Eva. 2014. New and revised fire effects tools for fire management.
- Innes, Robin J. 2013. Fire Modeling Institute: FY2012 Annual Report: Bridging scientists and managers.
- Innes, Robin J. 2012. Fire Modeling Institute 2011 Annual Report.
- Innes, Robin. 2012. Fire effects on noxious weeds.
- Innes, Robin J.; McEachern, Mary Brooke; Van Vuren, Dirk H.; Eadie, John M.; Kelt, Douglas A.; Johnson, Michael L. 2012. Genetic relatedness and spatial associations of dusky-footed woodrats (Neotoma fuscipes).