Robert H. White
Research Wood Scientist
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact Robert H. White
- Methods for evaluating fire-damaged components of historic covered bridges.
- Nondestructive methods for evaluating heat damaged wood.
- Fire behavior and protective measures for creosote-treated wood.
- Fire performance of cross-laminated timber assemblies.
- Cone calorimeter tests of forest products.
- Fire resistance of structural wood members and assemblies including the charring rate of wood.
- Options for improving fire resistance including the use of fire resistive coatings.
- Safe use of wood products and safety of wood structures in the wildland-urban interface.
- Fire testing of vegetation for use in wildland-urban interface.
- Fire performance of composite wood products including wood-plastic composites.
- Post-fire assessment of wood structures.
- Fire testing of fire-retardant-treated wood products including accelerated weathering.
- Fire safety during construction of a wood structure.
- Fire performance of individual wood species of lumber, both domestic and imported.
- Standard developments within ASTM International Committee E-5 on Fire Standards and Committee D-7 on Wood.
Why This Research is Important
In addition to the intrinsic importance of safety in all aspects of our lives, the investigation and documentation of the fire performance and fire safety of forest products and structures made with forest products is important for the very simple reason that concerns about fire safety have a profound influence on the market and regulatory acceptance of building materials. Fire safety concerns are major drivers for many provisions within the existing building codes and will be in current and future developments of future editions of the building codes and other regulatory documents. Research on fire performance and fire safety is critical to the FPL's mission "to identify and conduct innovative wood and fiber utilization research that contributes to conservation and productivity of the forest resource, thereby sustaining forests, the economy, and quality of life." Market acceptance of innovative advanced wood composites and advanced structures depend on their fire safety being addressed. The protection and survival of structures in the wildland-urban interface have a profound effect on both the lives of the residents of such areas and the Forest Service management of the national forests and grasslands.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Ph.D. major-Forestry, minor-Mechanical engineering, "Charring rates of different wood species", 1988
- Oregon State Univ., M.S. major-Forest Products, minor-Structural engineering, "Finite element analysis of end fixity in stud wall panels", 1975
- Penn State University, B.S. Wood Science, 1973
- International Association of Fire Safety Science, Member (1993 - Current)
- ASTM International, Member (1984 - Current)
- National Fire Protection Association, Member (1982 - Current)
- U.S. Technical Advisory Group To International Organization For Standardization - Technical Committee 92 - Fire Safety, Member (1988 - 2012)
- Forest Products Society (FPS), Member (1970 - 2010)
- International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO), Deputy Coordinator (2000 - 2009)
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST), Member (1970 - 2006)
- American Wood Preservers Association, Member (1996 - 2005)
Awards & Recognition
- ASTM International Award of Merit and honorary title of Fellow, 2009
in recognition of the outstanding contributions for serving in leadership positions of both Committee E05 on Fire Standards and Committee D-7 on wood while making numerous significant technical contributions to the development of related ASTM standards.
- L.J. Markwardt Award from ASTM Committee D-7 on Wood, 2007
in recognition of his extensive contributions to standards activities to ASTM Committee D07, particularly those related to the developement of standards for fire performance of wood in building construction.
Featured Publications & Products
- White, Robert H. 2008. Analytical methods for determining fire resistance of timber members.
- White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A. 2010. Fire safety of wood construction.
- White, Robert H. 2006. Fire resistance of structural composite lumber products.
- White, Robert H. 2003. Fire resistance of engineered wood rim board products..
- Ross, Robert J.; Brashaw, Brian K.; Wang, Xiping; White, Robert H.; Pellerin, Roy F. 2005. Post-fire assessment of structural wood members.
- White, Robert H.; Stark, Nicole M.; Ayrilmis, Nadir. 2011. Recent activities in flame retardancy of wood-plastic composites at the Forest Products Laboratory.
- White, Robert H.; Zipperer, Wayne C. 2010. Testing and classification of individual plants for fire behaviour: plant selection for the wildland–urban interface.
Publications & Products
- White, Robert H.; Sumathipala, Kuma. 2013. Cone calorimeter tests of wood composites.
- Dagenais, Christian; White, Robert H.; Sumathipala, Kuma. 2012. Chapter 8: Fire Performance of Cross-Laminated Timber Assemblies (2012 US Edition).
- White, Robert H.; Nam, Sunghyun; Parikh, Dharnidhar V. 2012. Cone calorimeter evaluation of two flame retardant cotton fabrics.
- Ayrilmis, Nadir; Akbulut, Turgay; Dundar, Turker; White, Robert H.; Mengeloglu, Fatih; Buyuksari, Umit; Candan, Zeki; Avci, Erkan. 2012. Effect of boron and phosphate compounds on physical, mechanical, and fire properties of wood-polypropylene composites.
- Ayrilmis, Nadir; Benthien, Jan T.; Thoemen, Heiko; White, Robert H. 2012. Effects of fire retardants on physical, mechanical, and fire properties of flat-pressed WPCs.
- Lebow, Stan; Kirker, Grant; White, Robert; Amburgey, Terry; Barnes, H. Michael; Sanders, Michael; Morrell, Jeff. 2012. Guide for In-Place Treatment of Covered and Timber Bridges.
- Grexa, Ondrej; Dietenberger, Mark A.; White, Robert H. 2012. Reaction-to-Fire of Wood Products and Other Building Materials: Part 1, Room/Corner Test Performance.
- Ayrilmis, Nadir; Jarusombuti, Songklod; Fueangvivat, Vallayuth; Bauchongkol, Piyawade; White, Robert H. 2011. Coir fiber reinforced polypropylene composite panel for automotive interior applications.
- Akbulut, Turgay; Ayrilmis, Nadir; Dundar, Turker; Durmus, Ali; White, Robert H.; Teker, Murat. 2011. Effect of Boron and Phosphate compounds on Thermal and Fire Properties of wood/HDPE composites.
- Ayrilmis, Nadir; Akbulut, Turgay; Dundar, Turker; White, Robert H.; Mengeloglu, Fatih; Candan, Zeki; Buyuksari, Umit; Avci, Erkan. 2011. Effect of boron compounds on physical, mechanical, and fire properties of injection molded wood plastic composites.
- Ayrilmis, Nadir; Benthien, Jan. T.; Thoemen, Heiko; White, Robert H. 2011. Properties of flat-pressed wood plastic composites containing fire retardants.
- Stark, Nicole M.; White, Robert H.; Mueller, Scott A.; Osswald, Tim A. 2010. Evaluation of various fire retardants for use in wood flour--polyethylene composites.
- Terzi, Evren; Kartal, S. Nami; White, Robert; Shinoda, Katsumi; Imamura, Yuji. 2010. Fire performance and decay resistance of solid wood and plywood treated with quaternary ammonia compounds and common fire retardants.
- White, Robert H. 2009. Accelerated weathering of fire-retardant-treated wood for fire testing.
- White, Robert H. 2009. Fire resistance of wood members with directly applied protection.
- White, Robert H.; Forsman, John; Erickson, John R. 2008. Aspen flakeboard treated with disodium octaborate tetrahydrate.
- Winandy, Jerrold; Wang, Qingwen; White, Robert H. 2008. Fire-retardant-treated strandboard : properties and fire performance.
- Dibble, Alison C.; White, Robert H.; Lebow, Patricia K. 2007. Combustion characteristics of north-eastern USA vegetation tested in the cone calorimeter: invasive versus non-invasive plants.
- White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Stark, Nicole M. 2007. Cone calorimeter tests of wood-based decking materials.
- Lebow, Stan T.; White, Robert H. 2007. Durability of wood in construction.
- White, Robert H.; Sumathipala, Kuma. 2007. Fire containment in wood construction doesn’t just happen.
- Green, David W.; White, Robert; TenWolde, Anton; Simpson, William; Murphy, Joseph; Ross, Robert. 2007. Physical and mechanical properties of clear wood.
- Ayrilmis, Nadir; Candan, Zeki; White, Robert. 2007. Physical, mechanical, and fire properties of oriented strandboard with fire retardant treated veneers.
- Kretschmann, David E.; Winandy, Jerrold E.; Clausen, Carol A.; Wiemann, Michael Carl; Bergman, Richard; Rowell, Roger M.; Zerbe, John I.; Beecher, James F.; White, Robert H.; McKeever, David R. 2007. Wood.
- Blank, Robert R.; White, Robert H.; Ziska, Lewis H. 2006. Combustion properties of Bromus tectorum L.: influence of ecotype and growth under four CO2 concentrations.
- White, Robert H.; Winandy, Jerrold E. 2006. Fire performance of oriented strandboard.
- Green, David W.; White, Robert H.; TenWolde, Antoni; Simpson, William; Murphy, Joseph; Ross, Robert J.; Hernandez, Roland; Lebow, Stan T. 2006. Wood.
- Ayrilmis, Nadir; Kartal, S Nami; Laufenberg, Theodore L.; Winandy, Jerrold E.; White, Robert H. 2005. Physical and mechanical properties and fire, decay, and termite resistance of treated oriented strandboard.
- Schuler, Thomas M.; Brose, Patrick; White, Robert L.; White, Robert L. 2005. Residual overstory density affects survival and growth of sheltered oak seedlings on the Allegheny Plateau.
- Weise, David R.; White, Robert H.; Beall, Frank C.; Etlinger, Matt. 2005. Use of the cone calorimeter to detect seasonal differences in selected combustion characteristics of ornamental vegetation.
- White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A. 2004. Cone calorimeter evaluation of wood products.
- White, Robert H. 2004. Fire resistance of exposed wood members.
- White, Robert H.; Weise, David R.; Mackes, Kurt; Dibble, Alison C. 2002. Cone calorimeter testing of vegetation--an update.
- Dietenberger, Mark A.; White, Robert H. 2001. Reaction-to-fire testing and modeling for wood products.
- White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A. 1999. Fire safety.
- Lau, Peter W.C.; White, Robert; Van Zealand, Ineke. 1999. Modelling the charring behaviour of structural lumber.
- Tran, Hao C.; White, Robert E. 1990. Heat release from wood wall assemblies using oxygen consumption method.
- Holmes, Carlton A.; Eickner, Herbert W.; Brenden, John J.; Peters, Curtis C.; White, Robert H. 1980. Fire development and wall endurance in sandwich and wood-frame structures.
- White, Robert H. 1979. Oxygen index evaluation of fire-retardant-treated wood.
|Centennial Edition, Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material|
The Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material serves as a primary reference document for a wide variety of users-from the general publ ...
|Evaluation of Various Fire Retardants for Use in Wood Flour/Polyethylene Composites|
Wood-plastic composites (WPCs) represent a class of materials increasingly used in residential construction and furniture-making. The fire perfo ...
|Public Access to Actual Data Files for Cone Calorimeter Tests of Wood Products|
The cone calorimeter test is a fire test used internationally for research and development of new fire retardants and to provide input data to m ...
|Wood-Plastic Composites Are More Desirable With Fire Retardant Treatments|
Wood-plastic composites treated with fire retardants addresses fire concerns in the wildland-urban interface