Robert M. Hubbard
240 West Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526
Contact Robert M. Hubbard
My research focuses on the ecophysiology of forest ecosystems and strives to increase our understanding of how forests respond to disturbance and the role plants play in regulating hydrologic processes. Current research examines how changes in species composition and forest structure alters stream flow in watersheds following mountain pine beetle attack. Other research aims to: quantify the physiological mechanisms that control forest productivity; understand how resource availability controls forest water use; define the role of physiological constraints on species abundance and distribution; and investigate the effects of climate change on ecosystem water and carbon cycling.
- Colorado State University, MS Botany, 1991
- Colorado State University, Ph.D. Forest Ecology, 2000
Featured Publications & Products
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Elder, Kelly; Negron, Jose. 2013. Changes in transpiration and foliage growth in lodgepole pine trees following mountain pine beetle attack and mechanical girdling.
- Collins, Byron J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Battaglia, Michael A. 2011. Tree regeneration and future stand development after bark beetle infestation and harvesting in Colorado lodgepole pine stands.
- Collins, B. J.; Rhoades, C. C.; Battaglia, M. A.; Hubbard, R. M. 2012. The effects of bark beetle outbreaks on forest development, fuel loads and potential fire behavior in salvage logged and untreated lodgepole pine forests.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Ryan, Michael G.; Elder, Kelly; Rhoades, Charles C. 2005. Seasonal patterns in soil surface CO2 flux under snow cover in 50 and 300 year old subalpine forests.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Stape, Jose; Ryan, Michael G.; Almeida, Auro C.; Rojas, Juan. 2010. Effects of irrigation on water use and water use efficiency in two fast growing Eucalyptus plantations.
Publications & Products
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Hubbard, Robert; Bazan, Roberto. 2015. Comparison of riparian and upland forest stand structure and fuel loads in beetle infested watersheds, southern Rocky Mountains.
- Pelz, K. A.; Rhoades, C. C.; Hubbard, R. M.; Battaglia, M. A.; Smith, F. W. 2015. Species composition influences management outcomes following mountain pine beetle in lodgepole pine-dominated forests.
- Matonis, M.; Hubbard, R.; Gebert, K.; Hahn, B.; Miller, S.; Regan, C. 2014. Future Forests Webinar Series, Webinar Proceedings and Summary: Ongoing Research and Management Responses to the Mountain Pine Beetle Outbreak.
- Collins, Bryon J.; Rhoades, Chuck C.; Battaglia, Michael A.; Hubbard, Robert M. 2012. Effects of salvage logging on fire risks after bark beetle outbreaks in Colorado lodgepole pine forests.
- Malcolm, Karl; Rhoades, Chuck; Battaglia, Michael; Fornwalt, Paula; Hubbard, Rob; Elder, Kelly; Collins, Byron. 2012. From death comes life: Recovery and revolution in the wake of epidemic outbreaks of mountain pine beetle.
- Jolly, W. Matt; Parsons, Russell A.; Hadlow, Ann M.; Cohn, Greg M.; McAllister, Sara S.; Popp, John B.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Negron, Jose F. 2012. Relationships between moisture, chemistry, and ignition of Pinus contorta needles during the early stages of mountain pine beetle attack.
- Collins, Byron J.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Underhill, Jeffrey; Hubbard, Robert M. 2010. Post-harvest seedling recruitment following mountain pine beetle infestation of Colorado lodgepole pine stands: A comparison using historic survey records.
- Ford, Chelcy R.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Vose, James M. 2010. Quantifying structural and physiological controls on variation in canopy transpiration among planted pine and hardwood species in the southern Appalachians.
- Ford, Chelcy R.; Hubbard, Robert M.; Kloeppel, Brian D.; Vose, James M. 2007. A comparison of sap flux-based evapotranspiration estimates with catchment-scale water balance.
- Elder, Kelly; Dwire, Kate; Hubbard, Robert; Rhoades, Charles; Ryan, Sandra; Young, Mike; Porth, Laurie; Dixon, Mark; Goodbody, Angue. 2006. Second interagency conference on research in the watersheds.
- Hubbard, Robert M.; Vose, James M.; Clinton, Barton D.; Elliott, Katherine J.; Knoepp, Jennifer D. 2004. Stand restoration burning in oak-pine forests in the southern Applachians: effects on aboveground biomass and carbon and nitrogen cycling.