Robert H. Falk
Research General Engineer
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact Robert H. Falk
Dr. Falk's research currently focuses on the development of value-added products from wood waste materials. This work includes the development of reuse options for salvaged lumber and timber as well as the development of composites from waste natural fibers and waste thermoplastics. In addition to developing a basic understanding of the engineering properties of these materials, Dr. Falk is active in helping develop the engineering property and engineering design standards necessary to facilitate their widespread use in construction applications.
- Wood waste to building products
- Engineered wood products
- Wood deck construction
- Engineering performance of wood decks
- Engineering evaluation of glued-laminated timber (glulam)
- Seismic performance of wood-framed construction
- Non-destructive testing of wood
- Washington State University, Ph.D. Structural Engineering, 1986
- Michigan Technological University, MS Civil Engineering, 1983
- California Polytechnic State University, BS Civil Engineering, 1978
- American Society for Testing and Materials, Member
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Member
- American Institute of Timber Construction, Member
- International Council for Building Research Studies and Documentation, Member
- Registered professional engineer, Member
Featured Publications & Products
- Falk, Robert H. 2010. Wood as a sustainable building material.
- Bergman, Richard D., PhD.; Gu, Hongmei; Falk, Robert H.; Napier, Thomas R. 2010. Using reclaimed lumber and wood flooring in construction : measuring environmental impact using life-cycle inventory analysis.
- Tajvidi, Mehdi; Feizmand, Mokhtar; Falk, Robert H.; Felton, Colin. 2009. Effect of cellulose fiber reinforcement on the temperature dependent mechanical performance of nylon 6.
- Falk, Robert; Maul, Derek; Cramer, Steven; Evans, James; Herian, Victoria. 2008. Engineering properties of douglas-fir lumber reclaimed from deconstructed buildings.
- Falk, Robert H.; Janowiak, John J.; Cosper, Stephen D.; Drozdz, Susan A. 2005. Remilling of salvaged wood siding coated with lead-based paint. Part 1, Lead exposure.
- Janowiak, John J.; Falk, Robert H.; Beakler, Brian W.; Lampo, Richard G.; Napier, Thomas R. 2005. Remilling of salvaged wood siding coated with lead-based paint. Part 2, Wood product yield.
Publications & Products
- Janowiak, John J.; Falk, Robert H.; Gething, Brad A.; Tsirigotis, John A. 2014. Mechanical Performance of Nail-Laminated Posts Manufactured from Reclaimed Chromated Copper Arsenate-Treated Decking Lumber.
- Falk, Robert H.; Cramer, Steven; Evans, James. 2013. Framing Lumber from Building Removal: How do We Best Utilize This Untapped Structural Resource?.
- Bergman, Richard D., PhD.; Falk, Robert H.; Gu, Hongmei; Napier, Thomas R.; Meil, Jamie. 2013. Life-Cycle Energy and GHG Emissions for New and Recovered Softwood Framing Lumber and Hardwood Flooring Considering End-of-Life Scenarios.
- Falk, Bob; McKeever, David. 2012. Generation and Recovery of Solid Wood Waste in the U.S..
- Bergman, Richard D., PhD.; Gu, Hongmei; Napier, Thomas R.; Salazar, James; Falk, Robert H. 2012. Life Cycle Primary Energy and Carbon Analysis of Recovering Softwood Framing Lumber and Hardwood Flooring for Reuse.
- Falk, Bob. 2012. North American Wood Waste Forum: Summary of Group Feedback, 2-3, 2012.
- Nicklin, Anne; Falk, Bob. 2012. Reclaiming the future: What's New in Used Wood.
- Mirzaei, Babak; Tajvidi, Mehdi; Falk, Robert H.; Felton, Colin. 2011. Stress-relaxation behavior of lignocellulosic high-density polyethlene composites.
- Tajvidi, Mehdi; Motie, Nazanin; Rassam, Ghonche; Falk, Robert H.; Felton, Colin. 2010. Mechanical performance of hemp fiber polypropylene composites at different operating temperatures.
- Gething, Brad A.; Janowiak, John J.; Falk, Robert H. 2009.
Assessment of laser induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) for classification of preservative in CCA-treated lumber.
- Falk, Robert H. 2009. Wood as a sustainable building material.
- Janowiak, John J.; Falk, Robert H.; Kimmel, Jeffery D. 2007. Feasibility of producing value-added wood products from reclaimed hemlock lumber.
- Falk, Robert H. 2005. Feasibility of using building deconstruction at Wisconsin’s Badger Army Ammunition Plant : salvaging lumber for reuse in low-income home construction.
- Napier, Thomas R.; Falk, Robert H.; Guy, George B.; Drodz, Susan. 2005. Regulatory and policy issues for reuse and remanufacture of wood materials coated with lead-based paint.
- Tajvidi, Mehdi; Falk, Robert H.; Hermanson, John C. 2005. Time–temperature superposition principle applied to a kenaf-fiber/high-density polyethylene composite.
- Lundin, Thomas; Cramer, Steven M.; Falk, Robert H.; Felton, Colin. 2004. Accelerated weathering of natural fiber-filled polyethylene composites.
- Falk, Robert H.; Guy, G. Bradley. 2004. Directory of wood-framed building deconstruction and reused wood building materials companies, 2004.
- Behzad, Mehdi; Tajvidi, Medhi; Ehrahimi, Ghanbar; Falk, Robert H. 2004. Dynamic mechanical analysis of compatibilizer effect on the mechanical properties of wood flour/high-density polyethylene composites.
- Falk, Robert H.; McKeever, David B. 2004. Recovering wood for reuse and recycling : a United States perspective.
- Winandy, Jerrold E.; Barnes, H. Michael; Falk, Robert H. 2004. Summer temperatures of roof assemblies using western redcedar, wood-thermoplastic composite, or fiberglass shingles.
- McKeever, David B.; Falk, Robert H. 2004. Woody residues and solid waste wood available for recovery in the United States, 2002.
- Tajvidi, Mehdi; Falk, Robert H.; Hermanson, John C.; Felton, Colin. 2003. Influence of natural fibers on the phase transitions in high-density polyethylene composites using dynamic mechanical analysis.
- Lundin, Thomas; Falk, Robert H.; Felton, Colin. 2002. Accelerated weathering of natural fiber-thermoplastic composites : effects of ultraviolet exposure on bending strength and stiffness.
- Green, David W.; Falk, Robert H.; Lantz, Scott F. 2001. Effect of heart checks on flexural properties of reclaimed 6 by 8 Douglas-fir timbers.
- Falk, Robert H.; Vos, Daniel J.; Cramer, Steven M.; English, Brent W. 2001. Performance of fasteners in wood flour-thermoplastic composite panels.
- Saliklis, Edmond P.; Falk, Robert H. 2000. Correlating off-axis tension tests to shear modulus of wood-based panels.
- Falk, Robert H.; Felton, Colin.; Lundin, Thomas. 2000. Effects of weathering on color loss of natural fiber : thermoplastic composites.
- Falk, Robert H.; Green, David; Rammer, Douglas; Lantz, Scott F. 2000. Engineering evaluation of 55-year-old timber columns recycled from an industrial military building.
- Ross, Robert.; Pellerin, Roy F.; Volny, Norbert.; Salsig, William W.; Falk, Robert H. 2000. Stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools for inspecting historic structures : a guide for use and interpretation..
- Falk, Robert; DeVisser, Don; Cook, Standen; Stansbury, Dale. 1999. Effect of Damage on the Grade Yield of Recycled Lumber.
- Ross, Robert J.; Pellerin, Roy F.; Volny, Norbert.; Salsig, William W.; Falk, Robert H. 1999. Inspection of timber bridges using stress wave timing nondestructive evaluation tools : a guide for use and interpretation.
- Falk, Robert H.; Green, David. 1999. Stress grading of recycled lumber and timber.
- Pellerin, Roy F.; Ross, Robert J.; Falk, Robert H.; Volny, Norbert J. 1995. Evaluation of timber bridges using stress wave technology.
- Soltis, Lawrence A.; Falk, Robert H. 1992. Seismic performance of low-rise wood buildings.
- Solli, Kjell; Aasheim, Erik; Falk, Robert H. 1992. The strength of Norwegian glued laminated beams.
|Centennial Edition, Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material|
The Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material serves as a primary reference document for a wide variety of users-from the general publ ...