Richard W. Guldin
Director, Quantitative Sciences
1601 N. Kent Street, 4th Floor
Arlington, VA 22209
As Director of the Quantitative Sciences Staff, my responsibilities include: (1) the Forest Inventory & Analysis (FIA) program, and other inventory and monitoring research, including remote sensing; (2) national assessments of resource conditions and trends, including the Resources Planninig Act (RPA) Assessment, the National Report on Sustainable Forests, and Forest Service contributions to the National Climate Assessment; and (3) coordination of international research activities, including serving as the USDA Liaison to the International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO) serving as the U.S. A. representative to the Montreal Process Working Group, and bilateral research and policy projects.
A key assignment related to IUFRO is serving as the Chair of the Congress Organizing Committee for the XXIV IUFRO World Congress, 5-11 October 2014, in Salt Lake City, Utah. 3000 researchers from 100+ countries are expected to attend. See http://iufro2014.com for more details.
Over the past year, I have also served as Acting Director of the Environmental Sciences Staff and Acting Director of the Forest Management Sciences Staff. These duties have included: (1) watershed restoration and hydrology research; (2) forest atmospheric sciences and biometeorology research; (3) entomology, pathology, and invasive species research; (4) fire ecology and systems reserach; (5) climate change research; (6) landscape ecology reerach; (7) silviiculture and forest management research; (8) agroforestry research; and (9) genetics and genomics reseearch.
Forest economics, including economics of forest regeneration and early stand management activities; forest policy; national assessments of resource conditions and trends; and forest inventory and monitoring.
- Yale University, Doctor of Philosophy Forest economics and policy, 1979
- Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, Master of Forest Science Silviculture, forest management, operations research, 1976
- The Pennsylvania State University, School of Forest Resources, Bachelors of Science Forest management, 1970
- International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO), Task Force Leader, The Forest Science-Technology Interface (1998 - Current)
10 years as a task force leader and 15 years as the official USDA Liaison to IUFRO
- Registered Professional Forestery, Maryland (1985 - Current)
- Society of American Foresters, Certified Forester (1970 - Current)
Publications & Products
- Guldin, Richard W. 1984. Merchandizer: Adapting USLYCOWG to the Marketplace.
- Guldin, Richard W.; Farrar, Robert M., Jr. 1983. Computation of Southern Pine Site Index Using a TI-59 Calculator.
- Guldin, Richard W. 1983. Site Preparation Costs in the Southern Coastal Plain - An Update.
- Guldin, Richard W. 1982. Machine Planting Costs are Influenced by Site Characteristics and Preparation Practices.
- Guldin, Richard W.; Barnett, James P.; [Editors], . 1982. Proceedings of the Southern Containerized Forest Tree Seedling Conference.