Randy B Foltz
Research General Engineer
1221 South Main Street
Moscow, ID 83843
Contact Randy B Foltz
I am a Research Engineer with the USDA Forest Service. Current research is on the environmental impact of forest road removal (road obliteration). I was responsible for the development of the soil armoring algorithms and use of WEPP on forest roads. Other research topics have included erodibility of road aggregates and the benefits of reduced tire pressure on erosion from forest roads. 1) Effectiveness of BAER road treatments; Assist in deciding whether the annual multi-million dollar BAER road expenditure is money well spent. 2) Infiltration rates on forest roads in the Lake Tahoe basin; Determine Lake Tahoe specific WEPP model parameters to allow improved decision making ability concerning road erosion. 3) Efficacy of wood-based erosion control materials; Demonstrate the utility of native wood-based erosion control materials at locations where high values at risk are not well served by non-native straw erosion control 4) Relationships between ATV traffic and erosion; Assist with implementation of the travel management plan. 5) Impacts of culvert removals and replacements on water quality; Answer the concerns about short term impacts of stream disturbing activities.
- New Mexico State University, BS Chemical Engineering, 1972
- New Mexico State University, MS Civil Engineering, 1987
- Unversity of Idaho, Ph.D. Civil Engineering, 1993
Featured Publications & Products
- Robichaud, Pete R.; MacDonald, Lee H.; Foltz, Randy B. 2010. Fuel management and erosion.
- Foltz, R. B.; Wagenbrenner, N. S. 2010. An evaluation of three wood shred blends for post-fire erosion control using indoor simulated rain events on small plots.
- Foltz, R. B.; Copeland, N. S.; Elliot, W. J. 2009. Reopening abandoned forest roads in northern Idaho, USA: Quantification of runoff, sediment concentration, infiltration, and interrill erosion parameters.
- Elliot, W. J.; Foltz, R. B.; Robichaud, P. R. 2009. Recent findings related to measuring and modeling forest road erosion.
- Copeland, N. S.; Foltz, R. B. 2009. Improving erosion modeling on forest roads in the Lake Tahoe Basin: Small plot rainfall simulations to determine saturated hydraulic conductivity and interrill erodibility.
Publications & Products
- Rhee, Hakjun; Foltz, Randy B.; Fridley, James L.; Krogstad, Finn; Page-Dumroese, Deborah S. 2014. An alternative method for determining particle-size distribution of forest road aggregate and soil with large-sized particles.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Robichaud, Peter. 2013. Effectiveness of post-fire Burned Area Emergency Response (BAER) road treatments: Results from three wildfires.
- Robichaud, Peter R.; Ashmun, Louise E.; Foltz, Randy B.; Showers, Charles G.; Groenier, J. Scott; Kesler, Jennifer; DeLeo, Claire; Moore, Mary. 2013. Production and aerial application of wood shreds as a post-fire hillslope erosion mitigation treatment.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Westfall, Breann; Kopyscianski, Ben. 2013. Turbidity changes during culvert to bridge upgrades at Carmen Creek, Idaho.
- Foltz, R. B. 2012. A comparison of three erosion control mulches on decommissioned forest road corridors in the northern Rocky Mountains, United States.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Westfall, Breann; Kopyscianski, Ben. 2012. Turbidity changes during culvert to bridge upgrades at Carmen Creek, Idaho.
- Elliot, W. J.; Robichaud, P. R.; Foltz, R. B. 2011. Erosion processes and prediction in NW U.S. forests.
- Foltz, R. B.; Elliot, W. J.; Wagenbrenner, N. S. 2011. Soil erosion model predictions using parent material/soil texture-based parameters compared to using site-specific parameters.
- Wagenbrenner, N. S.; Germino, M. J.; Lamb, B. K.; Foltz, R. B.; Robichaud, P. R. 2011. Wind erosion of soils burned by wildfire.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Copeland, Natalie S. 2009. Evaluating the efficacy of wood shreds for mitigating erosion.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Robichaud, Peter R.; Rhee, Hakjun. 2008. A synthesis of postfire road treatments for BAER teams: methods, treatment effectiveness, and decisionmaking tools for rehabilitation.
- Meadows, Dexter; Foltz, Randy; Geehan, Nancy. 2008. Effects of all-terrain vehicles on forested lands and grasslands.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Rhee, Hakjun; Elliot, William J. 2008. Modeling changes in rill erodibility and critical shear stress on native surface roads.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Yanosek, Kristina A.; Brown, Timothy M. 2008. Sediment concentration and turbidity changes during culvert removals.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Yanosek, Kristina A. 2005. Effects of road obliteration on stream water quality.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Yanosek, Kristina A. 2005. Impacts of all terrain vehicles (ATV) on National Forest lands and grasslands [Abstract].
- Gronier, James; Foltz, Randy; Showers, Charlie. 2005. Using rainfall simulators to test wood shreddings for erosion control.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Dooley, James H. 2004. Wood strands as an alternative to agricultural straw for erosion control.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Truebe, Mark. 2003. Locally available aggregate and sediment production.
- Elliot, William J.; Foltz, Randy B. 2003. The challenges in developing the WEPP cumulative effects model.
- Gorsevski, Peter V.; Foltz, Randy B.; Gessler, Paul E.; Cundy, Terrance W. 2001. Statistical modeling of landslide hazard using GIS.
- Gorsevski, Peter V.; Gessler, Paul; Foltz, Randy B. 2000. Spatial prediction of landslide hazard using discriminant analysis and GIS.
- Foltz, Randy B.; Burroughs, Edward R. 1990. Sediment production from forest roads with wheel ruts.