Richard Bergman, PhD
Research Forest Products Technologist
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact Richard Bergman, PhD
Consequential life-cycle analysis of products from modular wood biomass gasification units that use small diameter trees
Life-cycle primary energy and carbon footprint of recovering wood from buildings for reuse
The effect of timing of emissions on climate change impacts for production, use and disposal of building products
Dynamic carbon inventory of the life cycle of wood products in conjunction with working forests
Developing new and updating wood product life-cycle inventory data for creating business-to-business Environmental Product Declarations
Life-cycle analysis of wood building materials and bioenergy resources to quantify critical emissions and thus environmental impacts
Carbon footprint of wood products including the impact of dynamic GHG fluxes
Comparison of critical environmental impacts for wood products and their alternatives
Heat treatment (sterilization) of wood products
Wood energy with a focus on gasification
Why This Research is Important
Life-cycle inventories (LCIs) and life-cycle assessments (LCAs) of wood products are critically needed 1) to support LCA calculations and material selection decisions under Green Building codes and standards and 2) to provide data needed for environmental products declarations for wood products and thereby maintain their competitiveness.
Methods development that include the effect of timing of greenhouse gas emissions is critical to accurately estimate the climate change impacts of wood products use that have varying emissions over time.
LCI and LCA information can aid wood product manufcaturers and users by identifying and modifying unit processes that the highest environmental impacts and thereby reduce emissions.
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, PhD Primary: Forestry Secondary: Life-cycle analysis, 2012
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, WI, M.S. Primary: Forestry Secondary: Life-cycle analysis, 2007
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, WI, B.S. Chemical Engineer, 1996
- Northcentral Technical College, WI, A.S. Electromechanical Technology, 1991
- Research Forest Products Technologist, USDA Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, Madiosn, Wisconsin
1999 - Current
Focused on evaluating the forest sector role in sustainable management of natural systems. This includes evaluating indicators of sustainability of forest management, estimating and analyzing the role of forests and wood products in mitigating climate change by storing carbon and offsetting missions, evaluating opportunities to use forest biomass in the West to mitigate fire risk, and conducting life cycle analysis of the environmental effects of wood and bioenergy products. The life-cycle analysis area is new and will have its own problem statement when the research work unit (RWU) description is approved. This reflects an increasing emphasis in the RWU of understanding the environmental impacts, particularly carbon emissions and offsets, of wood and paper product products production and use.
- Astm E60 Sustainabilty Committee, Member (2010 - Current)
I am a ASTM E60 committee member working on creating standards from the following two work items: 1) Work Item# 23356: Standard Practice for Development of Product Category Rules for Use in Development of Environmental Declarations for Building Products and Systems (FPL Technical Lead) and 2) Work Item #28938: Standard Practice for Life Cycle Assessment of Whole Buildings
- Consortium For Research On Renewable Industrial Materials (Corrim), Vice-President Of Solid And Engineered Wood Products (2009 - Current)
As part of CORRIM, I am involved with the following: 1) developing life-cycle research proposals in conjunction with other CORRIM members, 2) working on life-cycle research projects with other CORRIM members, and 3) providing guidance on direction of CORRIM's objectives
- American Center on Life-Cycle Assessment, Member (2008 - Current)
I present life-cycle research at ahe annual conferences and revieweproceedings papers .
- Forest Products Society, Vice Chairman (2004 - Current)
I am currently co-chair of the North American Wood Windows and Doors Symposium to be held April 18-19, 2013 in Minneapolis, MN. In addition, I present research at annual conferences, review manuscripts for the Forest Products Journal (FPJ) related to life-cycle analysis and submit manuscripts from my research to the FPJ for peer-review.
- Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST), Member (2004 - Current)
I present research at SWST annual conferences, review manuscripts for the Wood and Fiber Science (W&FS) journal related to life-cycle analysis and submit manuscripts from my work to W&FS journal for peer-review.
Awards & Recognition
- Rural Community Assistance Award, 2005
In the Spirit of Working Together for Rural America
- First National Fire Plan Award, 2004
Innovation in Utilization of Biomass
- USDA Secretary’s Group Award for Enhancing the Capacity of All Rural Residents, Communities, and Bus, 2003
For exceptional dedication and commitment in providing technical and marketing assistance to rural forest-dependent communities and business
Featured Publications & Products
- Bergman, Richard D.; Salazar, James; Bowe, Scott. 2012. Developing a dynamic life cycle greenhouse gas emission inventory for wood construction for two different end-of-life scenarios.
- Bergman, Richard; Taylor, Adam. 2011. EPD--environmental product declarations for wood products : an application of life cycle information about forest products.
- Ritter, Michael A.; Skog, Kenneth; Bergman, Richard. 2011. Science supporting the economic and environmental benefits of using wood and wood products in green building construction.
- Bergman, Richard D. 2012. The effect on climate change impacts for building products when including the timing of greenhouse gas emissions.
- Puettmann, Maureen E.; Bergman, Richard; Hubbard, Steve; Johnson, Leonard; Lippke, Bruce; Oneil, Elaine; Wagner, Francis G. 2010. Cradle-to-gate life-cycle inventory of U.S. wood products production: CORRIM phase I and phase II products.
- Bergman, Richard D. Bowe, Scott A. 2008. Environmental impact of producing hardwood lumber using life-cycle inventory.
- Bergman, Richard. 2010. Drying and control of moisture content and dimensional changes.
- Bergman, Richard; Simpson, William T.; Turk, Chris. 2010. Evaluating warp of 2 by 4s sawn from panels produced through green gluing dimension lumber from small ponderosa pine logs.
- Wang, Xiping; Bergman, Richard; Brashaw, Brian K.; Myers, Scott; Joyal, Marc. 2011. Heat treatment of firewood : meeting the phytosanitary requirements.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Falk, Robert H.; Gu, Hongmei; Napier, Thomas R.; Meil, Jamie. 2013. Life-Cycle Energy and GHG Emissions for New and Recovered Softwood Framing Lumber and Hardwood Flooring Considering End-of-Life Scenarios.
Publications & Products
- Bergman, Richard. 2014. Gate-to-gate Life-Cycle Inventory of Hardboard Production in North America.
- Wang, Xiping; Bergman, Richard D.; Brashaw, Brian K.; Myers, Scott W. 2014. Heat treatment of Firewood for Emerald Ash Borer (Agrilus planipennis Fairmaire): Case Studies.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Oneil, Elaine; Eastin, Ivan L.; Han, Han-Sup. 2014. Life cycle impacts of manufacturing redwood decking in Northern California.
- Bergman, Richard; Gu, Hongmei. 2014. Life-Cycle Inventory Analysis of Bioproducts from a Modular Advanced Biomass Pyrolysis System.
- Bergman, Richard D. 2014. Life-Cycle Inventory Analysis of Cellulosic Fiberboard Production in North America.
- Bergman, R.; Sup-Han, H.; Oneil, E.; Eastin, I. 2013. Life-cycle assessment of redwood decking in the United States with a comparison to three other decking materials.
- Reed, Daniel; Bergman, Richard; Kim, Jae-Woo; Tayler, Adam; Harper, David; Jones, David; Knowles, Chris; Puettmann, Maureen E. 2012. Cradle-to-Gate Life-Cycle Inventory and Impact Assessment of Wood Fuel Pellet Manufacturing from Hardwood Flooring Residues in the Southeastern United States.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Bilek, Ted E.M. 2012. Evaluating a Small Structural Insulated Panel (SIP) Designed Solar Kiln in Southwestern New Mexico—Part 1.
- Lippke, Bruce; Bergman, Richard; Taylor, Adam; Puettmann, Maureen E. 2012. Evaluating the Environmental Performance of Wood-Based Biofuels.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Gu, Hongmei; Napier, Thomas R.; Salazar, James; Falk, Robert H. 2012. Life Cycle Primary Energy and Carbon Analysis of Recovering Softwood Framing Lumber and Hardwood Flooring for Reuse.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Bowe, Scott A. 2012. Life-cycle inventory of manufacturing hardwood lumber in Southeastern US.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Bowe, Scott A. 2011. Life cycle inventory of manufacturing prefinished engineered wood flooring in eastern U.S. with comparison to solid strip wood flooring.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Bowe, Scott A. 2011. Life-cycle environmental performance of renewable building materials in the context of residential construction : phase II research report : an extension to the 2005 phase I research report. Module N, Life-cycle inventory of manufacturing prefinished engineered wood flooring in the eastern United States.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Bowe, Scott A. 2010. Environmental impact of manufacturing softwood lumber in northeastern and north central United States.
- Wang, Xiping; Bergman, Richard; Mace, T. 2010. Heat sterilization of ash (Fraxinus spp.) firewood : heat-treating options, temperature monitoring and thermal verification.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Bowe, Scott A. 2010. Life cycle environmental performance of renewable building materials in the context of residential construction : phase II research report: an extension to the 2005 phase I research report. Module L, Life-cycle inventory of hardwood lumber manufacturing in the Southeastern United States..
- Bergman, Richard D.; Gu, Hongmei; Falk, Robert H.; Napier, Thomas R. 2010. Using reclaimed lumber and wood flooring in construction : measuring environmental impact using life-cycle inventory analysis.
- Bergman, Richard; Ibach, Rebecca E.; LaPasha, Constantine; Denig, Joseph. 2009. Evaluating physical property changes for small-diameter, plantation-grown southern pine after in situ polymerization of an acrylic monomer.
- Wiemann, Michael C.; Bergman, Richard D.; Knaebe, Mark; Bowe, Scott A. 2009. Exploring methods for prevention of oxidative stain in soft maple.
- Wang, Xiping; Bergman, Richard; Simpson, William T.; Verrill, Steve; Mace, Terry. 2009. Heat-treatment options and heating times for ash firewood.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Bowe, Scott A. 2009. Life cycle environmental performance of renewable building materials in the context of residential construction : phase II research report: an extension to the 2005 phase I research report. Module D, Life cycle inventory of softwood lumber manufacturing in the Northeastern and North Central United States..
- Bergman, Richard; Ross, Robert J. 2008. Evaluating shrinkage of wood propellers in a high-temperature environment.
- Bergman, Richard; Bowe, Scott A. 2008. Life cycle environmental performance of renewable building materials in the context of residential construction : phase II research report: an extension to the 2005 phase I research report. Module C, Life-cycle inventory of hardwood lumber manufacturing in the Northeast and North Central United States..
- Bergman, Richard D. 2008. Operation and cost of a small dehumidification dry kiln.
- Bergman, Richard D.; Bowe, S.A. 2007. Environmental impact of producing hardwood lumber using life-cycle inventory.
- Bergman, Richard; Maker, Timothy M. 2007. Fuels for schools: case study in Darby, Montana.
- Kretschmann, David E.; Winandy, Jerrold E.; Clausen, Carol A.; Wiemann, Michael Carl; Bergman, Richard; Rowell, Roger M.; Zerbe, John I.; Beecher, James F.; White, Robert H.; McKeever, David R. 2007. Wood.
- Bergman, Richard. 2005. Small-scale lumber drying using wood gasification as a heat source.
- Govett, Robert; Bowe, Scott; Mace, Terry; Hubbard, Steve; Dramm, John (Rusty); Bergman, Richard. 2005. Wood fueled boiler financial feasibility user's manual.
- Nicholls, David L.; Zerbe, John I.; Bergman, Richard D.; Crimp, Peter M. 2004. Use of wood energy for lumber drying and community heating in southeast Alaska.
|Centennial Edition, Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material|
The Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material serves as a primary reference document for a wide variety of users-from the general publ ...
|Evaluating the environmental impact of building material recovery and reuse|
Within the green building and sustainable construction fields, there is a growing movement to recover and reuse building materials in lieu of de ...
|Labeling Wood Products Based on Environmental Impacts - Helping consumers make sustainable choices|
Environmental product declaration (EPD) is a summary of the environmental impacts associated with producing and using a product or service. An E ...