National Program Leader Genetics and Global Change Research
1601 N Kent St
Arlington, VA 22209
I currently provide research support at the National office in areas of: genetics, biotech, adaptation to global change and carbon cycle research.
My past research experience dealt with forest genetics (tree breeding) and restoration genetics.
- North Carolina State University, PhD Forest Genetics, 1984
- North Carolina State University, MS Forest Soils, 1980
- University of Illinois, BS Forestry, 1978
- National Program Leader: Global Change, USDA Forest Service R&D, Washington Office
2009 - Current
- National Program Leader: Genetics, USDA Forest Service R&D, Washington Office
2007 - Current
- Research Geneticist, Pacific Northwest Research Station
1995 - 2007
Projects included: Genecology of Purshia tridentata, Alnus rubra, Festuca roemeri, Holodiscus discolor, genetics of wood quality in Douglas-fir, growth modeling genetic gain
- Research Geneticist, US National Arboretum
1992 - 1994
Shrub breeding and Research
- Geneticist, Forest Research Institute, Rotorua New Zealand
1985 - 1989
Tree breeding and management of the Tree Breeding Cooperative (88-89)
- Tree Improvement Forester, JARI Florestal, Belem Brasil
1980 - 1981
Managed breeding programs of pine, eucalyptus and melina
- Society For Range Management, Member (2006 - Current)
- North American Quantitative Forest Genetics Group, Member (1996 - Current)
Chair 1996, 2005
- Society of American Foresters, Member (1984 - Current)
Co-chaired or chair-ed Genetics and Tree Improvement Working Group 2004-2006
Featured Publications & Products
- Johnson, Randy; Stritch, Larry; Olwell, Peggy; Lambert, Scott; Horning, Matthew E.; Cronn, Richard. 2010. What are the best seed sources for ecosystem restoration on BLM and USFS lands?.
- Lachenbruch, B.; Johnson, G.R.; Downes, G.M.; Evans, R. 2010. Relationships of density, microfibril angle, and sound velocity with stiffness and strength in mature wood of Douglas-fir.
- Rukavina, Hrvoje; Hughes, Harrison; Johnson, Randy. 2008. Variation in saltgrass growth and time of fall dormancy related to geographical and climatic factors..
- Wilson, Barbara L.; Darris, Dale C.; Fiegener, Rob; Johnson, Randy; Horning, Matthew E.; Kuykendall, Keli. 2008. Seed transfer zones for a native grass Festuca roemeri: genecological evidence.
- Darris, Dale C.; Wilson, Barbara L.; Fiegener, Rob; Johnson, Randy; Horning, Matthew E. 2008. Polycross populations of the native grass Festuca roemeri as pre-varietal germplasm: their derivation, release, increase, and use.
Publications & Products
- Johnson, Randy; Boyce, Sandy; Brandt, Leslie; Erickson, Vicky; Iverson, Louis; Kujawa, Greg; Tkacz, Borys. 2013. Policy and strategy considerations for assisted migration on USDA Forest Service lands.
- Gould, Peter; Johnson, Randy; Marshall, David; Johnson, Greg. 2008. Estimation of genetic-gain multipliers for modeling Douglas-fir height and diameter growth.
- Horning, Matthew E.; McGovern, Theresa R.; Darris, Dale C.; Mandel, Nancy L.; Johnson, Randy. 2008. Genecology of Holodiscus discolor (Rosaceae) in the Pacific Northwest, U.S.A..