Paul A Sopko
800 Block East Beckwith
Missoula, MT 59801
Contact Paul A Sopko
Lightning and its role in igniting wildland fire. Current research include development of a lightning ignition model for the North Rockies and lightning strike climatology for FS land in the Western US. I'm also involved in programming and instrumentation for various research projects. Currently coordinates and manages the combustion lab and wind tunnel facility at the Missoula Fire Lab.
- University of Montana, Missoula, BS Geology, 1986
- University of Montana, Missoula, BS Forestry, 1986
Featured Publications & Products
- Sopko, Paul; Latham, Don; Grenfell, Isaac. 2007. Verification of the WFAS Lightning Efficiency Map.
Publications & Products
- Frankman, David; Webb, Brent W.; Butler, Bret W.; Jimenez, Daniel; Forthofer, Jason M.; Sopko, Paul; Shannon, Kyle S.; Hiers, J. Kevin; Ottmar, Roger D. 2012. Measurements of convective and radiative heating in wildland fires.
- Butler, Bret; Jimenez, D.; Forthofer, J.; Shannon, K.; Sopko, Paul. 2010. A portable system for characterizing wildland fire behavior.
- Butler, Bret; Jimenez, D.; Forthofer, J.; Sopko, Paul; Shannon, K.; Reardon, Jim. 2010. In-situ characterization of wildland fire behavior.
- Sopko, Paul; Latham, Don. 2010. Progress towards a lightning ignition model for the Northern Rockies.