Program Manager, Supervisory Research Forester
3200 SW Jefferson Way
Contact Paul Anderson
Ecological silviculture, restoration silviculture, riparian silviculture, physiological mechanisms of tree stress tolerance, genecology, climate change
- University of Claifornia, Berkeley, Doctor Of Philosophy My Ph.D. curriculum was focused on silviculture and forest soils. My dissertation research examined the ecophysiological mechanisms underlying water-use and growth relationships of interacting planted conifers and shrubs. 1991
- Purdue University, M.S. Forestery My M.S.F. curriculum was focused on silviculture and forest soils. My theis research examined the influence of light availability on survival and growth of white oak seedlings. 1981
- University of Minnesota, B.S. Forestry My B.S. curriculum was focused on Forest resource Management with an elective core of Silviculture and Forest Ecosystems. 1979
- Supervisory Research Forester, USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Corvallis, Oregon
2002 - Current
As a Team Leader and scientist I conduct silviculture and ecophysiology research related to management of young stands of the Douglas-fir/western hemlock province, riparian silviculture, restoration silvicutlure in dry ponderosa pine and mixed conifer forests, and post-fire reforestation and fuels development. My work emphasizes multi-diciplinary approaches with an emphasis on characterizing functional relationships driving forest repsonses to silvicultural manipulations. As a Team Leader, I supervise a multidisciplinary group of scientists, professional staff and students engaged in research that explicitly addresses the linkages and interactions among aquatic, riparian and terrestrial elements of managed watersheds and landscapes.
- Research Plant Physiologist, USDA Forest Service, North Central Research Station, Rhinelander Wisconsin
1993 - 2000
As a member of RWU-4155, Genetic and Molecular Bases of Tree Stress Tolerance, I conducted studies to characterize the physiological relationships underlying individual tree responses to the interactive effects of elevated carbon dioxide and water stress. I also undertook an interdisciplinary study to evaluate the degree to which genetic population structuring in eastern white pine was related to spatial variation in the Lake States environment.
Featured Publications & Products
- Peterson, Charles E.; Anderson, Paul D. 2009. Large-Scale Interdisciplinary Experiments Inform Current And Future Forestry Management Options In The U.S. Pacific Northwest.
- Anderson, Paul D.; Larson, David J.; Chan, Samuel S. 2007. Riparian Buffer And Density Management Influences On Microclimate Of Young Headwater Forests Of Western Oregon..
- Chmura, Daniel J.; Anderson, Paul D.; Howe, Glenn T.; Harrington, Constance A.; Halofsky, Jessica E.; Peterson, David L.; Shaw, David C.; St Clair, Brad J. 2011. Forest Responses To Climate Change In The Northwestern United States: Ecophysiological Foundations For Adaptive Management.
- Kayes, Lori J.; Anderson, Paul D.; Puettmann, Klaus J. 2010. Vegetation Succession Among And Within Structural Layers Following Wildfire In Managed Forests.
- Wilson, Duncan S.; Anderson, Paul D.; Puettmann, Klaus J. 2009. Evaluating The Consistency Of Understorey Vegetation Response To Forest Thinning Through Synthetic Analysis Of Operational-Scale Experiments.
- Anderson, Paul D.; Meleason, Mark A. 2009. Discerning Responses Of Down Wood And Understory Vegetation Abundance To Riparian Buffer Width And Thinning Treatments: An Equivalence-Inequivalence Approach.
- Anderson, Paul D.; Chmura, Daniel J. 2009. Silvicultural Approaches To Maintain Forest Health And Productivity Under Current And Future Climates.
- Marquardt, Theresa; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Anderson, Paul D. 2010. Accuracy And Suitability Of Selected Sampling Methods Within Conifer Dominated Riparian Zones.
- Urgenson, Lauren S.; Halpern, Charles B.; Anderson, Paul D. 2013. Twelve-Year Responses Of Planted And Naturally Regenerating Conifers To Variable-Retention Harvest In The Pacific Northwest, Usa.
- Urgenson, Lauren S.; Halpern, Charles B.; Anderson, Paul D. 2013. Level And Pattern Of Overstory Retention Influence Rates And Forms Of Tree Mortality In Mature, Coniferous Forests Of The Pacific Northwest, Usa.
- Anderson, Paul D.; Ronnenberg, Kathryn L. 2013. Density Management In The 21st Century: West Side Story.
- Anderson, Paul D.; Olson, Deanna H.; Ares, Adrian. 2013. Initial Riparian Down Wood Dynamics In Relation To Thinning And Buffer Width.
- Anderson, Paul D. 2013. Riparian Microclimate And Stream Temperature: Thinning And Buffer-Width Influences.
- Eskelson, Bianca N.I.; Anderson, Paul D.; Temesgen, Hailemariam. 2013. Sampling And Modeling Riparian Forest Structure And Riparian Microclimate.
- Anderson, Paul D. 2013. Two Decades Of Learning About Thinning In The Ecosystem Management Era.
- Marquardt, Theresa; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Anderson, Paul D.; Eskelson, Bianca. 2012. Evaluation Of Sampling Methods To Quantify Abundance Of Hardwoods And Snags Within Conifer-Dominated Riparian Zones.
- Gould, Peter J.; St.Clair, J. Bradley; Anderson, Paul D. 2011. Performance Of Full-Sib Families Of Douglas-Fir In Pure-Family And Mixed-Family Deployments.
- Kayes, Lori J.; Puettmann, Klaus J.; Anderson, Paul D. 2011. Short-Term Bryoid And Vascular Vegetation Response To Reforestation Alternatives Following Wildfire In Conifer Plantations.
- Chmura, Daniel J.; Howe, Glenn T.; Anderson, Paul D.; St Clair, Bradley J. 2010. Adaptation Of Trees, Forests And Forestry To Climate Change.
- Peterson, C.E.; Anderson, P.D. 2009. Large-Scale Interdisciplinary Experiments Inform Current And Future Forestry Management Options In The U.S.
- Poage, Nathan J.; Anderson, Paul D. 2007. Large-Scale Silviculture Experiments Of Western Oregon And Washington..
- Cissel, John; Anderson, Paul; Berryman, Shanti; Chan, Sam; Olson, Deanna; Puettman, Klaus. 2004. Bureau Of Land Management Density Management Study..
- Chan, Samuel; Anderson, Paul; Cissel, John; Lateen, Larry; Thompson, Charley. 2004. Variable Density Management In Riparian Reserves: Lessons Learned From An Operational Study In Managed Forests Of Western Oregon, Usa..
- Anderson, Paul F. 1979. Analysis Of Landscape Character For Visual Resource Management.
|Collected Works Summarize Forest Dynamics and Ecosystem Responses to Partial Overstory Harvests|
Density Management in the 21st Century: West Side Story presents abstracts and peer reviewed papers from a 2011 regional conference highlighting ...