Supervisory Research Forester, Team Leader
Contact Paul Anderson
Ecological silviculture, restoration silviculture, riparian silviculture, physiological mechanisms of tree stress tolerance, genecology, climate change
- University of Claifornia, Berkeley, My Ph.D. curriculum was focused on silviculture and forest soils. My dissertation research examined the ecophysiological mechanisms underlying water-use and growth relationships of interacting planted conifers and shrubs. , 1991
- Purdue University, My M.S.F. curriculum was focused on silviculture and forest soils. My theis research examined the influence of light availability on survival and growth of white oak seedlings. , 1981
- University of Minnesota, My B.S. curriculum was focused on Forest resource Management with an elective core of Silviculture and Forest Ecosystems. , 1979
- Supervisory Research Forester, USDA Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station, Corvallis, Oregon
2002 - Current
As a Team Leader and scientist I conduct silviculture and ecophysiology research related to management of young stands of the Douglas-fir/western hemlock province, riparian silviculture, restoration silvicutlure in dry ponderosa pine and mixed conifer forests, and post-fire reforestation and fuels development. My work emphasizes multi-diciplinary approaches with an emphasis on characterizing functional relationships driving forest repsonses to silvicultural manipulations. As a Team Leader, I supervise a multidisciplinary group of scientists, professional staff and students engaged in research that explicitly addresses the linkages and interactions among aquatic, riparian and terrestrial elements of managed watersheds and landscapes.
- Research Plant Physiologist, USDA Forest Service, North Central Research Station, Rhinelander Wisconsin
1993 - 2000
As a member of RWU-4155, Genetic and Molecular Bases of Tree Stress Tolerance, I conducted studies to characterize the physiological relationships underlying individual tree responses to the interactive effects of elevated carbon dioxide and water stress. I also undertook an interdisciplinary study to evaluate the degree to which genetic population structuring in eastern white pine was related to spatial variation in the Lake States environment.
Featured Publications & Products
- Kayes, Lori J.; Anderson, Paul D.; Puettmann, Klaus J. 2010. Vegetation Succession Among And Within Structural Layers Following Wildfire In Managed Forests.
- Marquardt, Theresa; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Anderson, Paul D. 2010. Accuracy And Suitability Of Selected Sampling Methods Within Conifer Dominated Riparian Zones.
- Anderson, Paul D.; Chmura, Daniel J. 2009. Silvicultural Approaches To Maintain Forest Health And Productivity Under Current And Future Climates.
- Peterson, Charles E.; Anderson, Paul D. 2009. Large-Scale Interdisciplinary Experiments Inform Current And Future Forestry Management Options In The U.S. Pacific Northwest.
- Peterson, C.E.; Anderson, P.D. 2009. Large-Scale Interdisciplinary Experiments Inform Current And Future Forestry Management Options In The U.S.
- Anderson, Paul D.; Ronnenberg, Kathryn L. 2013. Density Management In The 21st Century: West Side Story.
- Anderson, Paul D.; Olson, Deanna H.; Ares, Adrian. 2013. Initial Riparian Down Wood Dynamics In Relation To Thinning And Buffer Width.
- Anderson, Paul D. 2013. Riparian Microclimate And Stream Temperature: Thinning And Buffer-Width Influences.
- Eskelson, Bianca N.I.; Anderson, Paul D.; Temesgen, Hailemariam. 2013. Sampling And Modeling Riparian Forest Structure And Riparian Microclimate.
- Urgenson, Lauren S.; Halpern, Charles B.; Anderson, Paul D. 2013. Twelve-Year Responses Of Planted And Naturally Regenerating Conifers To Variable-Retention Harvest In The Pacific Northwest, Usa.
- Anderson, Paul D. 2013. Two Decades Of Learning About Thinning In The Ecosystem Management Era.
- Marquardt, Theresa; Temesgen, Hailemariam; Anderson, Paul D.; Eskelson, Bianca. 2012. Evaluation Of Sampling Methods To Quantify Abundance Of Hardwoods And Snags Within Conifer-Dominated Riparian Zones.
- Chmura, Daniel J.; Anderson, Paul D.; Howe, Glenn T.; Harrington, Constance A.; Halofsky, Jessica E.; Peterson, David L.; Shaw, David C.; St Clair, Brad J. 2011. Forest Responses To Climate Change In The Northwestern United States: Ecophysiological Foundations For Adaptive Management.
- Gould, Peter J.; St.Clair, J. Bradley; Anderson, Paul D. 2011. Performance Of Full-Sib Families Of Douglas-Fir In Pure-Family And Mixed-Family Deployments.
- Kayes, Lori J.; Puettmann, Klaus J.; Anderson, Paul D. 2011. Short-Term Bryoid And Vascular Vegetation Response To Reforestation Alternatives Following Wildfire In Conifer Plantations.
- Chmura, Daniel J.; Howe, Glenn T.; Anderson, Paul D.; St Clair, Bradley J. 2010. Adaption Of Trees, Forests And Forestry To Climate Change.
- Anderson, Paul D.; Meleason, Mark A. 2009. Discerning Responses Of Down Wood And Understory Vegetation Abundance To Riparian Buffer Width And Thinning Treatments: An Equivalence-Inequivalence Approach.
- Wilson, Duncan S.; Anderson, Paul D.; Puettmann, Klaus J. 2009. Evaluating The Consistency Of Understorey Vegetation Response To Forest Thinning Through Synthetic Analysis Of Operational-Scale Experiments.
- Poage, Nathan J.; Anderson, Paul D. 2007. Large-Scale Silviculture Experiments Of Western Oregon And Washington..
- Anderson, Paul D.; Larson, David J.; Chan, Samuel S. 2007. Riparian Buffer And Density Management Influences On Microclimate Of Young Headwater Forests Of Western Oregon..
- Cissel, John; Anderson, Paul; Berryman, Shanti; Chan, Sam; Olson, Deanna; Puettman, Klaus. 2004. Bureau Of Land Management Density Management Study..
- Chan, Samuel; Anderson, Paul; Cissel, John; Lateen, Larry; Thompson, Charley. 2004. Variable Density Management In Riparian Reserves: Lessons Learned From An Operational Study In Managed Forests Of Western Oregon, Usa..
- Anderson, Paul F. 1979. Analysis Of Landscape Character For Visual Resource Management.
|Collected Works Summarize Forest Dynamics and Ecosystem Responses to Partial Overstory Harvests|
Density Management in the 21st Century: West Side Story presents abstracts and peer reviewed papers from a 2011 regional conference highlighting ...