Peter V. Caldwell
3160 Coweeta Lab Road
Otto, NC 28763
Phone: 828-524-2128 x124
Contact Peter V. Caldwell
Assessing the sources and residence times of water and solutes in headwater catchments, vegetation and topographic controls on the hydrograph, impacts of increasing hydroclimatic variability on water quality and quantity.
Interactions between terrestrial vegetative communities and the hydrologic cycle, upscaling site-level hydrological processes to larger watersheds, global change impacts on water resources from headwater catchments to the national scale.
Impacts of changes in land cover, climate, and water use on water supply stress, streamflow, and ecosystem carbon dynamics from catchment to continental scales; nutrient and sediment loading impacts on water quality, linkages between groundwater dynamics and wetland plant communities.
Why This Research is Important
Forests are the headwaters for water supply for millions of people in the US. A large number of ecosystem services across the Southeast region (e.g., water supply, forest productivity, forest and stream biodiversity) depend on water balance in forested watersheds. Forest conditions are changing, and changes are expected to accelerate in the coming decades as a result of new and continuing pressures for timber, biofuels and wood products. The knowledge base for estimating the impacts of changing forest condition on hydrologic processes is inadequate, because water quality and quantity may be altered by changes in forest structure, species composition, climate, land use, and land management that are outside the boundaries of historical experience, experiments, and data.
- North Carolina State University, Ph. D. Major in Forest Hydrology, Minor in Soil Science, 2005
- North Carolina State University, B.S. Mechanical Engineering, 1996
- Research Hydrologist, USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station, Center for Forest Watershed Research, Coweeta Hydrologic Laboratory
2013 - Current
- Research Hydrologist, USDA Forest Service, Southern Research Station, Eastern Forest Environmental Threat Assessment Center
2010 - 2013
- Environmental Program Supervisor, North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources, Division of Water Quality, Environmental Sciences Section, Intensive Survey Unit
2008 - 2010
- Environmental Modeler, North Carolina Department of Environmental and Natural Resources, Division of Water Quality, Planning Section, Modeling and TMDL Unit
2006 - 2008
- Doctoral Research Assistant, North Carolina State University, Department of Forestry and Environmental Resources
2003 - 2005
- Design Engineer, Caterpillar, Inc.
1996 - 2001
Featured Publications & Products
- Marion, Daniel A.; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Quyang, Ying; Amatya, Devendra M.; Clinton, Barton D.; Conrads, Paul A.; Gull Laird, Shelby; Dai, Zhaohua; Clingenpeel, J. Alan; Liu, Yonqiang; Roehl, Edwin A. Jr.; Meyers Moore, Jennifer A.; Trettin, Carl. 2014. Managing Forest Water Quanity And Quality Under Climate Change.
- Marion, Daniel A.; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Ouyang, Ying; Amatya, Devendra M.; Clinton, Barton D.; Conrads, Paul A.; Gull Laird, Shelby; Dai, Zhaohua; Clingenpeel, J. Alan; Liu, Yonqiang; Roehl, Edwin A., Jr..; Moore Myers, Jennifer A.; Trettin, Carl. 2014. Managing Forest Water Quantity And Quality Under Climate Change.
- Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V.; McNulty, Steven G.; Georgakakos, Aris P.; Arumugam, Sankar; Cruise, James; McNider, Richard T.; Terando, Adam; Conrads, Paul A.; Feldt, John; Misra, Vasu; Romolo, Luigi; Rasmussen, Todd C.; Marion, Daniel A. 2013. Impacts Of Climate Change And Variability On Water Resources In The Southeast Usa.
- Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter; McNulty, Steve; Ward, Eric; Domec, Jean-Christophe; Noormets, Asko. 2013. Regional Carbon Sequestration And Climate Change: It S All About Water.
- Caldwell, P. V.; Sun, G.; McNulty, S. G.; Cohen, E. C.; Moore Myers, J. A. 2012. Impacts Of Impervious Cover, Water Withdrawals, And Climate Change On River Flows In The Conterminous Us.
- Caldwell, P.V.; Vepraskas, M.J.; Gregory, J.D.; Skaggs, R.W.; Huffman, R.L. 2011. Linking Plant Ecology And Long-Term Hydrology To Improve Wetland Restoration Success.
Publications & Products
- Schwalm, C.R.; Huntzinger, D.N.; Cook, R.B.; Wei, Y.; Baker, I.T.; Neilson, R.P.; Poulter, B.; Caldwell, Peter; Sun, G.; Tian, H.Q.; Zeng, N. 2015. How Well Do Terrestrial Biosphere Models Simulate Coarse-Scale Runoff In The Contiguous United States.
- Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter. 2015. Impacts Of Urbanization On Stream Water Quantity And Quality In The United States.
- Vose, James M.; Miniat, Chelcy F.; Sun, Ge; Caldwell, Peter V. 2014. Potential Implications For Expansion Of Freeze-Tolerant Eucalyptus Plantations On Water Resources In The Southern United States.
- Caldwell, Peter; Muldoon, Corinne; Ford-Miniat, Chelcy; Cohen, Erika; Krieger, Suzanne; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steven; Bolstad, Paul V. 2014. Quantifying The Role Of National Forest System Lands In Providing Surface Drinking Water Supply For The Southern United States.
- Caldwell, Peter; Segura, Catalina; Laird, Shelby Gull; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steven G.; Sandercock, Maria; Boggs, Johnny; Vose, James M. 2014. Short-Term Stream Water Temperature Observations Permit Rapid Assessment Of Potential Climate Change Impacts.
- McNulty, Steve; Moore Myers, Jennifer; Caldwell, Peter; Sun, Ge. 2013. Climate Change Summary.
- McNulty, Steven; Caldwell, Peter; Doyle, Thomas W.; Johnsen, Kurt; Liu, Yongqiang; Mohan, Jacqueline; Prestemon, Jeffrey; Sun, Ge. 2013. Forests And Climate Change In The Southeast Usa.
- Lockaby, Graeme; Nagy, Chelsea; Vose, James M.; Ford, Chelcy R.; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve; Caldwell, Pete; Cohen, Erika; Moore Myers, Jennifer . 2013. Forests And Water.
- Averyt, K.; Meldrum, J.; Caldwell, P.; Sun, G.; McNulty, S.; Huber-Lee, A.; Madden, N. 2013. Sectoral Contributions To Surface Water Stress In The Coterminous United States.
- Tavernia, Brian G.; Nelson, Mark D.; Caldwell, Peter; Sun, Ge. 2013. Water Stress Projections For The Northeastern And Midwestern United States In 2060: Anthropogenic And Ecological Consequences.
- Lockaby, Graeme; Nagy, Chelsea; Vose, James M.; Ford, Chelcy R.; Sun, Ge; McNulty, Steve; Caldwell, Pete; Cohen, Erika; Moore Meyers, Jennifer. 2011. Chapter 13: Water And Forests.
- McNulty, Steve; Moore Myers, Jennifer; Caldwell, Peter; Sun, Ge. 2011. Chapter 3: Climate Change.
|Quantifying the Role of National Forest System Lands in Providing Surface Drinking Water Supply for the Southern United States|
In the South, as in the rest of the U.S., people and communities depend on forests as the headwaters for clean and dependable water supply. A ne ...