Nicole M. Stark
Research Chemical Engineer
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Contact Nicole M. Stark
Current ResearchDr. Nicole Stark's research focuses on the durability of wood-plastic composites from polymers and wood-derived. Nicole is interested in characterizing fundamental changes in surface chemistry and morphology that occur during weathering, and uses innovative processing techniques and treatments to improve weathering performance. Her research also includes incorporating alternative raw materials such as biopolymers, low-value woody biomass, and biorefinery residuals into high-value composites.
- Composites from wood or other natural fibers and plastics
- Coating wood composites for improved durability
- Chemical modification and pre-treatment of wood fibers for enhanced composite durability
- Changes in surface chemistry of wood-plastic composites during photodegradation
- Moisture performance and fire performance of wood-plastic composites
- Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI, Ph.D. Forest Science,
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, MS Mechanical Engineering,
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, BS Chemical Engineering,
- Society of Plastics Engineers, Member
Featured Publications & Products
- Stark, Nicole M.; Cai, Zhiyong; Carll, Charles. 2010. Wood-based composite materials : panel products, glued-laminated timber, structural composite lumber, and wood-nonwood composite materials.
- Stark, Nicole M.; White, Robert H.; Mueller, Scott A.; Osswald, Tim A. 2010. Evaluation of various fire retardants for use in wood flour--polyethylene composites.
- Clemons, Craig M.; Stark, Nicole M. 2009. Feasibility of using saltcedar as a filler in injection-molded polyethylene composites.
Publications & Products
- Clausen, Carol A.; White, Robert H.; Wacker, James P.; Lebow, Stan T.; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Zelinka, Samuel L.; Stark, Nicole M. 2014. Laboratory investigation of fire protection coatings for creosote-treated timber railroad bridges.
- Cai, Zhiyong; Rudie, Alan W.; Stark, Nicole M.; Sabo, Ronald C.; Ralph, Sally A. 2013. Chapter 6: New Products and Product Categories in the Global Forest Sector.
- Chen, Yao; Tshabalala, Mandla A.; Gao, Jianmin; Stark, Nicole M. 2013. Color and surface chemistry changes of extracted wood flour after heating at 120 °C.
- Sabo, Ronald; Jin, Liwei; Stark, Nicole; Ibach, Rebecca E. 2013. Effect of environmental conditions on the mechanical properties and fungal degradation of polycaprolactone/microcrystalline cellulose/wood flour composites.
- Piao, Cheng; Cai, Zhiyong; Stark, Nicole M.; Monlezun, Charles J. 2013. Potassium methyl siliconate-treated pulp fibers and their effects on wood plastic composites: Water sorption and dimensional stability.
- Xu, Yuzhi; Wang, Chunpeng; Chu, Fuxiang; Frihart, Charles R.; Lorenz, Linda F.; Stark, Nicole M. 2012. Chemical Modification of Soy Flour Protein and its Properties.
- Chen, Yao; Gao, Jianmin; Fan, Yongming; Tshabalala, Mandla A.; Stark, Nicole M. 2012. Heat-induced chemical and color changes of extractive-free Black Locust (Rosinia Pseudoacacia) wood.
- Xu, Yuzhi; Wang, Chunpeng; Stark, Nicole M.; Cai, Zhiyong; Chu, Fuxiang. 2012. Miscibility and thermal behavior of poly (ε-caprolactone)/long-chain ester of cellulose blends.
- Chen, Yao; Fan, Yongming; Tshabalala, Mandla A.; Stark, Nicole M.; Gao, Jianmin. 2012. Optical property analysis of thermally and photolytically aged Eucalyptus Camaldulensis chemithermomechanical pulp (CTMP).
- Chen, Yao; Fan, Yongming; Gao, Jianmin; Tshabalala, Mandla A.; Stark, Nicole M. 2012. Spectroscopic analysis of the role of extractives on heat-induced discoloration of black locust (Robinia pseudoacacia).
- Chen, Yao; Fan, Yongming; Gao, Jianmin; Stark, Nicole M. 2012. The Effect of Heat Treatment on the chemical and color change of Black Locust (Robinia Pseudoacacia) wood flour.
- White, Robert H.; Stark, Nicole M.; Ayrilmis, Nadir. 2011. Recent activities in flame retardancy of wood-plastic composites at the Forest Products Laboratory.
- Matuana, Laurent M.; Jin, Shan; Stark, Nicole M. 2011. Ultraviolet weathering of HDPE/wood-flour composites coextruded with a clear HDPE cap layer.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M. 2009. Co-extrusion of WPCs with a clear cap layer to improve color stability.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Mueller, Scott A. 2008. Improving the color stability of wood-plastic composites through fiber pre-treatment.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M. 2007. Characterization of weathered wood-plastic composite surfaces using FTIR spectroscopy, contact angle, and XPS.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M. 2007. Coating WPC's using co-extrusion to improve durability.
- White, Robert H.; Dietenberger, Mark A.; Stark, Nicole M. 2007. Cone calorimeter tests of wood-based decking materials.
- Stark, Nicole M. 2007. Considerations in the weathering of wood-plastic composites.
- Bengtsson, Magnus; Stark, Nicole M.; Oksman, Kristiina. 2007. Durability and mechanical properties of silane cross-linked wood thermoplastic composites.
- Fabiyi, James S.; McDonald, Armando G.; Stark, Nicole M. 2007. Surface characterization of weathered wood-plastic composites produced from modified wood flour.
- Clemons, Craig; Stark, Nicole. 2007. Use of saltcedar and Utah juniper as fillers in wood–plastic composites.
- Morrell, J.J.; Stark, Nicole M.; Pendleton, David E.; McDonald, Armando G. 2006. Durability of wood-plastic composites.
- Stark, Nicole M. 2006. Effect of weathering cycle and manufacturing method on performance of wood flour and high-density polyethylene composites.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M. 2006. Influence of photostabilizers on wood flour-HDPE composites exposed to xenon-arc radiation with and without water spray.
- Stark, Nicole M. 2005. Changes in wood flour/HDPE composites after accelerated weathering with and without water spray.
- Stark, Nicole M. 2005. Effect of weathering variables on the lightness of high-density polyethylene woodflour composites.
- Winandy, Jerrold E.; Clemons, Craig M.; Stark, Nicole M.; Muehl, James H.; Williams, R. Sam. 2005. Evaluation and process development of salt cedar and juniper biocomposites as tools to utilize exotic and invasive species and restore native ecosystems.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M.; Clemons, Craig M. 2004. Effect of processing method on surface and weathering characteristics of wood-flour/HDPE composites.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M. 2004. Surface chemistry and mechanical property changes of wood-flour/high-density-polyethylene composites after accelerated weathering.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M. 2004. Surface chemistry changes of weathered HDPE/wood-flour composites studied by XPS and FTIR spectroscopy.
- Ibach, Rebecca E.; Clemons, Craig M.; Stark, Nicole M. 2003. Combined ultraviolet and water exposure as a preconditioning method in laboratory fungal durability testing.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M.; Clemons, Craig M. 2003. Effect of processing method on accelerated weathering of wood-flour/HDPE composites.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Rowlands, Robert E. 2003. Effects of wood fiber characteristics on mechanical properties of wood/polypropylene composites.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M. 2003. Ultraviolet weathering of photostabilized wood-flour-filled high-density polyethylene composites.
- Stark, Nicole M.; Matuana, Laurent M. 2002. Photostabilization of wood flour filled HDPE composites.
- Stark, Nicole. 2001. Influence of moisture absorption on mechanical properties of wood flour- polypropylene composites.
- Chow, Poo.; Bajwa, Dilpreet S.; Lu, Wen-da.; Youngquist, John A.; Stark, Nicole M.; Li, Qiang.; English, Brent. 1998. Injection molded composites from kenaf and recycled plastic.
- English, Brent; Clemons, Craig M.; Stark, Nicole; Schneider, James P. 1996. Waste-wood-derived fillers for plastics.
|Centennial Edition, Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material|
The Wood Handbook—Wood as an Engineering Material serves as a primary reference document for a wide variety of users-from the general publ ...
|Evaluation of Various Fire Retardants for Use in Wood Flour/Polyethylene Composites|
Wood-plastic composites (WPCs) represent a class of materials increasingly used in residential construction and furniture-making. The fire perfo ...
|New Drying Process Gives Black Locust Wood Exotic Appearance|
Heat treatment that prevents discoloration increases uses of this fast growing wood