Supervisory Rangeland Scientist; Starkey Ungulate Ecology Team Leader
Contact Marty Vavra
My current research deals with the influence of ungulate browsing on ecosystem patterns and processes, with an emphasis on browsing as a chronic disturbance that interacts with episodic disturbances, such as wildfire and fuels management. I also am exploring sustainable livestock grazing systems and the interactions of domestic and wild ungulates.
Effects of ungulates on the processes, structure, and composition of plant communities and ecosystems; post-disturbance plant succession; nutritional ecology of ungulates; livestock/wildlife relationships; ungulate behavior; livestock grazing management; influences of forest and range management practices on ungulates.
My past work has identified the seasonally changing nutritional value of ungulate diets, evaluated grazing systems for sustainable livestock production, and explored the dietary overlap among ungulates living in the same geographic area.
Why This Research is Important
Seasonal nutritional value of ungulate diets is important in identifying limiting factors in wild and domestic ungulate production. This knowledge is critical in sustainable grazing system design so that grazing is economically viable while critical ecosystem services�like water quality and biodiversity�are preserved. Dietary overlap among ungulates living in the same area is a critical component in the development of forage allocation models, which inform managers by estimating sustainable animal numbers on landscapes.
- University of Wyoming, Animal Nutrition/Ecology , 1972
- University of Arizona, Animal Science , 1969
- University of Arizona, Animal Science , 1966
Featured Publications & Products
- Vavra, Martin; Riggs, Robert A. 2010. Managing Multi-Ungulate Systems In Disturbance-Adapted Forest Ecosystems In North America.
- Long, Ryan A.; Rachlow, Janet L.; Kie, John G.; Vavra, Martin. 2008. Fuels Reduction In A Western Coniferous Forest: Effects On Quantity And Quality Of Forage For Elk.
- Parks, Catherine G.; Endress, Bryan A.; Vavra, Martin; McInnis, Michael L.; Naylor, Bridgett J. 2008. Cattle, Deer, And Elk Grazing Of The Invasive Plant Sulfur Cinquefoil.
- Ganskopp, Dave; Aguilera, Lisa; Vavra, Marty. 2007. Livestock Forage Conditioning Among Six Northern Great Basin Grasses.
- Walburger, Kenric J.; DelCurto, Timothy; Vavra, Martin. 2007. Influence Of Forest Management And Previous Herbivory On Cattle Diets.
- Davies, K.W.; Vavra, M.; Schultz, B.; Rimbey, N. 2014. Implications Of Longer Term Rest From Grazing In The Sagebrush Steppe.
- Johnson, Charles G.; Vavra, Marty; Willis, Mitch; Parks, Catherine G. 2013. Ascertaining Elk Impacts On Plant Communities.
- Rinella, Matthew J.; Dean, Ron; Vavra, Marty; Parks, Catherine G. 2012. Vegetation Responses To Supplemental Winter Feeding Of Elk In Western Wyoming.
- Rinella, Matthew J.; Vavra, Marty; Naylor, Bridgett J.; Boyd, Jennifer M. 2011. Estimating Influence Of Stocking Regimes On Livestock Grazing Distributions.
- Coe, Priscilla K.; Johnson, Bruce K.; Wisdom, Michael J.; Cook, John G.; Vavra, Marty; Nielson, Ryan M. 2011. Validation Of Elk Resource Selection Models With Spatially Independent Data.