Melissa Thomas-Van Gundy
P.O. Box 404
Phone: 304-478-2000 x114
Contact Melissa Thomas-Van Gundy
- Fire regimes of the central Appalachians
- Central Appalachian silviculture
- Fire as a silvicultural tool in oak forests
- Witness trees of the Monongahela National Forest
- Red spruce recovery and restoration
I hope to continue to work at two scales, stand and landscape, as I build a body of work that includes both traditional silviculture and landscape ecology. I am interested in carrying on the long-term silvicultural studies of the Fernow Experimental Forest. I am also interested in the use of prescribed fire as a silvicultural tool to aid in oak regeneration and as a landscape-scale disturbance.
Why This Research is ImportantUse of prescribed fire likely to increase and knowledge of fire history will help in determining where to return this disturbance regime.
In a part of the country without the benefit of General Land Office surveys, witness trees represent a snap-shot in time of species distributions. I hope to use the GIS based witness tree database to describe and categorize land-vegetation relationships of the area. Red spruce forests support rare species and are in slow recovery from era of exploitative forestry. Monongahela Forest Plan places emphasis on recovery and restoration of red spruce and spruce-hardwood forests. Research is needed to help define and achieve goals.
- West Virginia University, Ph.D. Forest Resources Sciences 2011
- State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, M.S. resource management/silviculture 1992
- Davis and Elkins College, B.S. pre-forestry 1989
- Society Of American Foresters West Virginia Chapter, Vice Chair (2011 - Current)
Featured Publications & Products
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa A.; Nowacki, Gregory J. 2013. The Use Of Witness Trees As Pyro-Indicators For Mapping Past Fire Conditions.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Strager, Michael. 2011. Site Characteristics Of American Chestnut, Oak, And Hickory Witness Trees On The Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa A.; Strager, Michael P. 2012. European Settlement-Era Vegetation Of The Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia.
- Adams, Mary Beth; Ford, W. Mark; Schuler, Thomas M.; Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa. 2011. Effects Of Natural Gas Development On Forest Ecosystems.
- Schuler, Thomas M.; Thomas Van-Gundy, Melissa; Adams, Mary B.; Ford, W. Mark. 2010. Seed Bank Response To Prescribed Fire In The Central Appalachians..
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa. 2010. Red Spruce Restoration Modeling In Landis.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Strager, Michael; Rentch, James. 2012. Site Characteristics Of Red Spruce Witness Tree Locations In The Uplands Of West Virginia, Usa.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Schuler, Thomas M. 2008. Deferred Rotation Harvests In Central Appalachia: 20- And 25-Year Results.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa A.; Nowacki, Gregory J.; Schuler, Thomas M. 2007. Rule-Based Mapping Of Fire-Adapted Vegetation And Fire Regimes For The Monongahela National Forest.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa A.; Nowacki, Gregory J. 2016. Landscape-Fire Relationships Inferred From Bearing Trees In Minnesota.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Whetsell, Robert. 2016. Realistic Restoration Targets.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa A.; Wood, Katharina U.; Rentch, James S. 2015. Impacts Of Wildfire Recency And Frequency On An Appalachian Oak Forest.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa A.; Nowacki, Gregory J.; Cogbill, Charles V. 2015. Mapping Pyrophilic Percentages Across The Northeastern United States Using Witness Trees, With Focus On Four National Forests.
- Fenwick, Adele; Schuler, Jamie L.; Grushecky, Shawn; Schuler, Thomas M.; Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa. 2014. Kanawha State Forest, Wv: Wildland Fire Fuel Load Assessment And Geospatial Distribution.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa A. 2014. Mapping Fire Regimes From Data You May Already Have: Assessing Landfire Fire Regime Maps Using Local Products.
- Clark, Stacy L.; Schlarbaum, Scott E.; Pinchot, Cornelia C.; Anagnostakis, Sandra L.; Saunders, Michael R.; Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Schaberg, Paul; McKenna, James; Bard, Jane F.; Berrang, Paul C.; Casey, David M.; Casey, Chris E.; Crane, Barbara; Jackson, Brian D.; Kochenderfer, Jeff D.; MacFarlane, Russ; Makowske, Robert; Miller, Mark D.; Rodrigue, Jason A.; Stelick, Jim; Thornton, Christopher D.; Williamson, Tyler S. 2014. Reintroduction Of American Chestnut In The National Forest System.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Rentch, James; Adams, Mary Beth; Carson, Walter. 2014. Reversing Legacy Effects In The Understory Of An Oak-Dominated Forest.
- Jensen, N.K.; Holzmueller, E.J.; Edwards, P.J.; Thomas-Van Gundy, M.; DeWalle, D.R.; Williard, K.W.J. 2014. Tree Response To Experimental Watershed Acidification.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa A.; Sturtevant, Brian R. 2014. Using Scenario Modeling For Red Spruce Restoration Planning In West Virginia.
- Schuler, Thomas M.; Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Adams, Mary Beth; Ford, W. Mark. 2013. Analysis Of Two Pre-Shelterwood Prescribed Fires In A Mesic Mixed-Oak Forest In West Virginia.
- Adams, Mary Beth; Edwards, Pamela J.; Ford, W. Mark; Schuler, Thomas M.; Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Wood, Frederica. 2012. Fernow Experimental Forest: Research History And Opportunities.
- Adams, Mary Beth; Edwards, Pamela J.; Ford, W. Mark; Johnson, Joshua B.; Schuler, Thomas M.; Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa; Wood, Frederica. 2011. Effects Of Development Of A Natural Gas Well And Associated Pipeline On The Natural And Scientific Resources Of The Fernow Experimental Forest.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa. 2010. Red Spruce As Witness Tree On The Monongahela National Forest.
- Thomas-Van Gundy, Melissa. 2006. Assigning Fire Regimes On The Monongahela National Forest, West Virginia.
|Roles of Fire, Browse, and Canopy Gaps in the Understory of an Oak-dominated Forest|
Current forests developed under conditions different from original forests, with more deer, less fire, and smaller canopy gaps. The difference r ...
|Using a Landscape Model for Planning Red Spruce Restoration in West Virginia|
A new Forest Service model was developed to answer specific questions about meeting restoration goals for red spruce while protecting habitat fo ...
|Witness Trees Reveal Where to Restore Fire|
To help land managers make decisions and plan for restoration of oak-dominated forests, witness trees from early surveys were used by a Forest S ...