240 West Prospect Road
Fort Collins, CO 80526
Contact Mike Knowles
I use a variety of software (e.g., SAS, ArcGIS, COMDYN4) and data sources (e.g., National Land Cover Data (NLCD), Breeding Bird Survey (BBS), NatureServe) to create, analyze and maintain data sets used in a wide variety of research efforts. Currently, my primary effort is the status and trends of wildlife in fulfillment of the RPA Assessment.
Expanding my knowledge of software and their capabilities, increasing my efficiency in completing tasks and expanding the research opportunities available to the research scientist.
- RPA Wildlife Assessments and Updates since 1984.
- Identifying potential suitable habitat for the Ivory-billed woodpecker across its historic range.
- Montreal Process sustainable forestry initiative indicator reports.
- Projecting biodiversity response to changes in landscape composition and habitat conditions in forest ecosystems.
Why This Research is Important
It expands the knowledge of how wildlife resources respond to changing environmental conditions, including shifts in land use and land management, human populations and housing, fragmentation of native vegetation, and climate change.
- Colorado State University, BS Wildlife Biology, 1984
- Duke University, MEM Resource Ecology, 1992
Featured Publications & Products
- Flather, C. H.; Knowles, M. S; Sieg, C. H. 2011. Indicator 1.04: Number of native forest-associated species.
- Flather, C. H.; Knowles, M. S; Sieg, C. H. 2011. Indicator 1.05: Number and status of native forest-associated species at risk, as determined by legislation or scientific assessment.
- Flather, C. H.; Knowles, M. S; Sieg, C. H. 2011. Indicator 1.07. Number and geographic distribution of forest-associated species at risk of losing genetic variation and locally adapted genotypes.
Publications & Products
- Flather, Curtis H.; Knowles, Michael S.; Jones, Martin F.; Schilli, Carol. 2013. Wildlife population and harvest trends in the United States: A technical document supporting the Forest Service 2010 RPA Assessment.