Research Mathematical Statistician
3644 Avtech Parkway
Redding, CA 96002
Contact Martin Ritchie
- Blacks Mountain Interdisciplinary Research Project
- CONIFERS; Young Stand Simulator for the Klamath Province
- Storrie Fire Restoration
- Effects of salvage harvesting
- Growth and yield of mixed-conifer forests, with emphasis on dynamics of young plantations.
- Interdisciplinary research to quantify the effects of resource management activities (timber harvest, cattle grazing, and prescribed fire) on an array of forest components such as wildlife, sustainable productivity, and biodiversity in interior pine forests.
- Methods of accelerating development of late successional forest vegetation.
- LiDAR applications in forestry.
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Forest Modeling, 1992
- Oregon State University, M.S. Statistics, 1990
- Oregon State University, M.S. Forest Management, 1985
- Humboldt State University, B.S. Forest Management, 1981
- American Statistical Association, Member
- Society of American Foresters, Member
Publications & Products
- Crotteau, Justin S.; Ritchie, Martin W.; Varner, J. Morgan. 2014. A Mixed-Effects Heterogeneous Negative Binomial Model for Postfire Conifer Regeneration in Northeastern California, USA.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Knapp, Eric E. 2014. Establishment of a long-term fire salvage study in an interior ponderosa pine forest.
- Crotteau, Justin S.; Ritchie, Martin W. 2014. Long-term stand growth of interior ponderosa pine stands in response to structural modifications and burning treatments in northeastern California.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Zhang, Jianwei; Hamilton, Todd A. 2013. Aboveground tree biomass for Pinus ponderosa in northeastern California.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Knapp, Eric E.; Skinner, Carl N. 2013. Snag longevity and surface fuel accumulation following post-fire logging in a ponderosa pine dominated forest.
- Zhang, Jianwei; Ritchie, Martin W.; Maguire, Douglas A.; Oliver, William W. 2013. Thinning ponderosa pine (Pinus ponderosa) stands reduces mortality while maintaining stand productivity.
- Ritchie, Martin; Zhang, Jianwei; Hamilton, Todd. 2012. Effects of stand density on top height estimation for ponderosa pine.
- Zhang, Jianwei; Oliver, William; Ritchie, Martin; Neal, Donald. 2012. Overstory and understory dynamics in a ponderosa pine plantation vary with stand density in the Sierra Nevada: 40-year results.
- Crotteau, Justin; Varner, Morgan; Ritchie, Martin. 2012. Post-fire regeneration across a fire severity gradient in the southern Cascades.
- Wing, Brian M.; Ritchie, Martin W.; Boston, Kevin; Cohen, Warren B.; Gitelman, Alix; Olsen, Michael J. 2012. Prediction of understory vegetation cover with airborne lidar in an interior ponderosa pine forest.
- Vaughn, Nicholas R.; Turnblom, Eric C.; Ritchie, Martin W. 2010. Bootstrap evaluation of a young Douglas-fir height growth model for the Pacific Northwest.
- Wells, Gail; Hayes, Deborah; Krause, Katrina; Bartuska, Ann; LeVan-Green, Susan; Anderson, Jim; Gough, Tivoli; Adams, Mary; Schuler, Thomas; Kolka, Randy; Sebestyen, Steve; Kenefic, Laura; Brissette, John; Stout, Susan; Kanoti, Keith; Swanson, Fred; Greene, Sarah; Herring, Margaret; Ritchie, Martin; Skinner, Carl; Lisle, Tom; Keppeler, Elizabeth; Reid, Leslie; Wohlegemuth, Peter; Kitchen, Stanley; McCaughey, Ward; Guldin, Jim; Bragg, Don; Shelton, Michael; Loftis, David; Greenberg, Cathryn; Murphy, Julia. 2009. Experimental forests and ranges : 100 years of research success stories.
- Rabin, Lawrence A.; Oliver, William W.; Powers, Robert F.; Ritchie, Martin, W..; Busse, Matt, D..; Knapp, Eric E. 2009. Historical growth plots in the Pacific Southwest.
- McDonald, Philip M.; Fiddler, Gary; Ritchie, Martin; Anderson, Paula. 2009. Naturally seeded versus planted ponderosa pine seedlings in group-selection openings.
- Zhang, Jianwei; Ritchie, Martin W. 2008. Restoring eastside ponderosa pine ecosystems at the Blacks Mountain Experimental Forest: a case study.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Wing, Brian M.; Hamilton, Todd A. 2008. Stability of the large tree component in treated and untreated late-seral interior ponderosa pine stands.
- Zhang, Jianwei; Ritchie, Martin W.; Oliver, William W. 2008. Vegetation response to stand structure and prescribed fire in an interior ponderosa pine ecosystem.
- Zhang, Jianwei; Oliver, William W.; Ritchie, Martin W. 2007. Effect of stand densities on stand dynamics in white fir (Abies concolor) forests in northeast California, USA.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Skinner, Carl N.; Hamilton, Todd A. 2007. Probability of wildfire-induced tree mortality in an interior pine forest of northern California: effects of thinning and prescribed fire.
- Maleki, Sussanne; Featured: Skinner, Carl; Ritchie, Martin. 2007. Tested by fire: the cone fire and the lessons of an accidental experiment.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Harcksen, Kathleen A. 2005. Accelerating development of late-successional features in second-growth pine stands of the Goosenest Adaptive Management Area.
- Ritchie, Martin W. 2005. Ecological research at the Goosenest Adaptive Management Area in northeastern California.
- Vaughn, Nicholas; Ritchie, Martin W. 2005. Estimation of crown cover in interior ponderosa pine stands: Effects of thinning and prescribed fire.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Maguire, Douglas A.; Youngblood, Andrew, tech. coordinators. 2005. Proceedings of the Symposium on Ponderosa Pine: Issues, Trends, and Management, 2004 October 18-21, Klamath Falls, OR.
- Ritchie, Martin W. 1999. A compendium of forest growth and yield simulators for the Pacific coast states.
- Uzoh, Fabian C.C.; Ritchie, Martin W. 1996. Crown area equations for 13 species of trees and shrubs in northern California and southwestern Oregon.
- Ritchie, Martin W.; Powers, Robert F. 1993. User's guide for SYSTUM-1 (Version 2.0): A simulator of growth trends in young stands under management in California and Oregon.