Research Wildlife Biologist And Team Leader, Wildlife Ecology
Contact Martin Raphael
My current work is exploring the population ecology of the marbled murrelet, a threatened seabird that nests on limbs of large coniferous trees in coastal zones of the Pacific Northwest. I also am investigating habitat relationships of the northern spotted owl and American marten.
Wildlife ecology and habitat relationships; population dynamics; ecology and management of threatened, endangered, or sensitive wildlife.
My past work focused on the ecology of cavity-nesting birds, efficacy of riparian buffer systems on sensitive wildlife, and habitat relations of vertebrates associated with older forests.
Why This Research is Important
My work helps inform land managers about potential effects of alternative land management options on wildlife and provides information to help guide development of new management options. My research helps to advance the science of wildlife management.
- California State University, Sacramento, B.A. Social Sciences, 1968
- University of California Berkeley, B.S. Conservation of Natural Resources, 1972
- University of California Berkeley, Ph.D. Wildlife Ecology, 1980
Awards & Recognition
- Wings across the Americas award, 2009
Research and partnership award for studeis of the ecology and population dynamics of Marbled Murrelet in the Pacific Northwest
- Honor Award, 2001
USFS Chief's honor award for superior science for sustained contributions of wildlife research applied to critical land management issues in the Pacific Northwest.
Featured Publications & Products
- Burger, Alan E.; Manley, Irene A.; Silvergieter, Michael P.; Lank, David B.; Jordan, Kevin M.; Bloxton, Thomas D.; Raphael, Martin G. 2009. Re-use of nest sites by marbled murrelets (Brachyramphus marmoratus) in British Columbia.
- Peery, M. Zachariah; Hall, Laurie A.; Anna, Sellas.; Beissinger, Steven R.; Moritz, Craig; Berube, Martine; Raphael, Martin G.; Nelson, S. Kim; Golightly, Richard T.; McFarlane-Tranquilla, Laura; Newman, Scott H.; Palsboll, Per J. 2009. Genetic analyses of historic and modern marbled murrelets suggest decoupling of migration and gene flow after habitat fragmentation.
- Hall, Laurie A.; Palsboll, Per J.; Beissinger, Steven R.; Harvey, James T.; Berube, Martine; Raphael, Martin G.; Nelson, Kim; Golightly, Richard T.; McFarlane-Tranquilla, Laura; Newman, Scott H.; Peery, M. Zachariah. 2009. Characterizing dispersal patterns in a threatened seabird with limited genetic structure.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Baldwin, Jim; Falxa, Gary A.; Huff, Mark H.; Lance, Monique; Miller, Sherri L.; Pearson, Scott F.; Ralph, C. John; Strong, Craig; Thompson, Chris. 2007. Regional population monitoring of the marbled murrelet: field and analytical methods..
- Franklin, Jerry F.; Carey, Andrew B.; Courtney, Steven P.; Marzluff, John M.; Raphael, Martin G.; Tappeiner, John C.; Thornburgh, Dale A. 2007. Managing Second-Growth Forests in the Redwood Region for Accelerated Development of Marbled Murrelet Nesting Habitat.
Publications & Products
- Aubry, Keith B.; Raphael, Martin G.; Oliver, Marie. 2014. Martens, sables, and fishers: new synthesis informs management and conservation.
- Johnson, Tracey N.; Buskirk, Steven W.; Hayward, Gregory D.; Raphael, Martin G. 2014. Tree mortality after synchronized forest insect outbreaks: effects of tree species, bole diameter, and cutting history.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Wilk, Randall J. 2013. The riparian ecosystem management study: response of small mammals to streamside buffers in western Washington.
- Miller, Sherri L.; Raphael, Martin G.; Falxa, Gary A.; Strong, Craig; Baldwin, Jim; Bloxton, Thomas; Galleher, Beth M.; Lance, Monique; Lynch, Deanna; Pearson, Scott F.; Ralph, C. John; Young, Richard D. 2012. Recent population decline of the Marbled Murrelet in the Pacific Northwest.
- Wells, Gail; Raphael, Martin; Lorenz, Teresa. 2011. Clark’s nutcracker and whitebark pine: Can the birds help the embattled high-country pine survive?.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Falxa, Gary A.; Dugger, Katie M.; Galleher, Beth M.; Lynch, Deanna; Miller, Sherri L.; Nelson, S. Kim; Young, Richard D. 2011. Northwest Forest Plan—the first 15 years (1994–2008): status and trend of nesting habitat for the marbled murrelet.
- Wilk, Randall J.; Raphael, Martin G.; Nations, Christopher S.; Ricklefs, Jeffrey D. 2010. Initial response of small ground-dwelling mammals to forest alternative buffers along headwater streams in the Washington Coast Range, USA.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Molina, Randy; Flather, Curtis H.; Holthausen, Richard S.; Johnson, Richard L.; Marcot, Bruce G.; Olson, Deanna H.; Peine, John D.; Sieg, Carolyn Hull; Swanson, Cindy S. 2007. A process for selection and implementation of conservation approaches.
- Raphael, Martin G. 2006. Conservation of the marbled murrelet under the northwest forest plan..
- Huff, Mark H.; Raphael, Martin G.; Miller, Sherri L.; Nelson, S. Kim; Baldwin, Jim, tech. coords. 2006. Northwest Forest Plan—the first 10 years (1994-2003): status and trends of populations and nesting habitat for the marbled murrelet..
- Lint, Joseph; Noon, Barry; Anthony, Robert; Forsman, Eric; Raphael, Martin; Collopy, Michael; Starkey, Edward. 1999. Northern spotted owl effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan..
- Mulder, Barry S.; Noon, Barry R.; Spies, Thomas A.; Raphael, Martin G.; Palmer, Craig J.; Olsen, Anthony R.; Reeves, Gordon H.; Welsh, Hartwell H., Jr. 1999. The strategy and design of the effectiveness monitoring program for the Northwest Forest Plan..
- Raphael, M.G.; Anthony, R.G.; DeStefano, S.; Forsman, E.D.; Franklin, A.B.; Holthausen, R.; Meslow, E.C.; Noon, B.R. 1996. Use, interpretation, and implications of demographic analyses of northern spotted owl populations.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Young, John A.; Galleher, Beth M. 1995. Chapter 18: A Landscape-Level Analysis of Marbled Murrelet Habitat in Western Washington.
- Ralph, C. John; Hunt, Jr., George L..; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John F. 1995. Chapter 1: Ecology and Conservation of the Marbled Murrelet in North America: An Overview.
- In: Ralph, C. John; Hunt, George L., Jr..; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John Hunt, Jr. 1995. Chapter 24: Monospecific and Mixed Species Foraging Associations of Marbled Murrelets.
- Ralph, C. John; Hunt, George L., Jr..; Raphael, Martin G.; Piatt, John F., technical editors. 1995. Ecology and conservation of the Marbled Murrelet.
- Holthausen, Richard S.; Raphael, Martin G.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Forsman, Eric D.; Starkey, Edward E.; Seaman, D. Erran. 1995. The contribution of federal and nonfederal habitat to persistence of the northern spotted owl on the Olympic Peninsula, Washington: report of the reanalysis team..
- Jones, Lawrence L.C.; Raphael, Martin G. 1993. Inexpensive camera systems for detecting martens, fishers, and other animals: guidelines for use and standardization..
- Thompson, Frank R., III.; Probst, John R.; Raphael, Martin G. 1993. Silvicultural options for neotropical migratory birds.
- Morrison, Michael L.; Dedon, Mark F.; Yoder-Williams, Michael P.; Raphael, Martin G. 1986. Distribution and abundance of snags in the Sagehen Creek Basin, California.
- Raphael, Martin G.; Taylor, Cathy A.; Barrett, Reginald H. 1986. Smoked aluminum track stations record flying squirrel occurrence.
|Marbled murrelet populations are declining in the Northwest Forest Plan area|
The marbled murrelet, a seabird, is a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act. The 1996 Northwest Forest Plan is the guiding plan fo ...