Michael K Young
Research Fish Biologist
800 Block East Beckwith
Missoula, MT 59801
Contact Michael K Young
1. Genetic and compositional monitoring of fish and amphibians in the interior Columbia and upper Missouri River basins.2. Development of SNP-based marker panels for genetic testing of fish.3. Species discovery and description: three new species of sculpins in Rocky Mountain streams.4. Using environmental DNA to assess and monitor fish species composition in western streams.5. Modeling the effects of climate change on trout distribution in the northwestern U.S.6. Abiotic and biotic factors influencing the distribution of fish and amphibians in the northwestern U.S.7. Modeling the interaction between climate change, fire, and fish distribution in western Montana.
My focus is on the ecology, sampling, and assessment of native and nonnative aquatic vertebrates in streams in the Rocky Mountains and intermountain basins. My research increasingly relies on genetic methods that afford greater reliability at a lower cost for addressing particular questions.
Federal agencies are charged by Congress with the assessment and monitoring of all native and desired nonnative species in aquatic ecosystems. This research constitutes one of the largest cohesive biological assessments of fish and amphibians in the U.S. Furthermore, it sets the stage for monitoring at large spatial scales e.g., entire river basins, National Forest regions, or the historical range of focal species. The work serves as an empirical benchmark for detecting, modeling, and understanding the broad-scale effects of climate change or nonnative species invasions. It also refines methods for detecting and monitoring species to facilitate more precise and accurate estimates of species composition and distribution. Finally, it identifies the expected responses of species to a changing climate and greater demands on aquatic resources.
Why This Research is Important
I have over 70 peer-reviewed publications on the following subjects:1. The prevalence, extent, and characteristics of movement in aquatic species in streams and rivers.2. Large wood: its assessment, role, and dynamics in mountain streams.3. The influence of wildland fire on the distribution, abundance, and habitat of native and nonnative fishes.4. The ecology and conservation biology of various subspecies of cutthroat trout.5. Refining estimates of species presence and abundance.6. The effects of nonnative species and their management on native fish populations.
- University of Montana, BS Wildlife Biology, 1982
- University of Montana, MS Wildlife Biology, 1986
- University of Wyoming, Ph.D. Zoology, 1989
Featured Publications & Products
- Sestrich, Clint M; McMahon, Thomas E.; Young, Michael K. 2011. Influence of fire on native and nonnative salmonid populations and habitat in a western Montana basin.
- Mahlum, Shad K.; Eby, Lisa A.; Young, Michael K.; Clancy, Chris G.; Jakober, Mike. 2011. Effects of wildfire on stream temperatures in the Bitterroot River basin, Montana.
- Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Potential effects of fuel management activities on riparian areas.
- Peterson, Douglas P.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Young, Michael K.; Brammer, James A. 2010. Modeling predicts that redd trampling by cattle may contribute to population declines of native trout.
- Pope, Kevin L.; Lochmann, Steve E.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Methods for assessing fish populations.
Publications & Products
- Young, Michael K.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Pilgrim, Kristine L.; Schwartz, Michael K. 2013. DNA barcoding at riverscape scales: Assessing biodiversity among fishes of the genus Cottus (Teleostei) in northern Rocky Mountain streams.
- Wenger, Seth J.; Som, Nicholas A.; Dauwalter, Daniel C.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Neville, Helen M.; Luce, Charles H.; Dunham, Jason B.; Young, Michael K.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2013. Probabilistic accounting of uncertainty in forecasts of species distributions under climate change.
- Wilcox, Taylor M.; McKelvey, Kevin S.; Young, Michael K.; Jane, Stephen F.; Lowe, Winsor H.; Whiteley, Andrew R.; Schwartz, Michael K. 2013. Robust detection of rare species using environmental DNA: The importance of primer specificity.
- Young, Michael K. 2012. Aquatic species invasions in the context of fire and climate change.
- Campbell, N. R.; Amish, S. J.; Prichard, V. L.; McKelvey, K. M.; Young, M. K.; Schwartz, M. K.; Garza, J. C.; Luikart, G.; Narum, S. R. 2012. Development and evaluation of 200 novel SNP assays for population genetic studies of westslope cutthroat trout and genetic identification of related taxa.
- Young, Michael K.; Schmetterling, David A. 2012. Movement and capture efficiency of radio-tagged salmonids sampled by electrofishing.
- Wenger, Seth J.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Luce, Charlie; Neville, Helen M.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Dunham, Jason B.; Dauwalter, Daniel C.; Young, Michael K.; Elsner, Marketa M.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Hamlet, Alan F.; Williams, Jack E. 2011. Flow regime, temperature, and biotic interactions drive differential declines of trout species under climate change [includes Supporting Information].
- Young, Michael K. 2011. Generation-scale movement patterns of cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii pleuriticus) in a stream network.
- Young, Michael K. 2011. IV. Aquatics.
- Wenger, Seth J.; Isaak, Daniel J.; Dunham, Jason B.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Luce, Charlie; Neville, Helen M.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Young, Michael K.; Nagel, David E.; Horan, Dona L.; Chandler, Gwynne L. 2011. Role of climate and invasive species in structuring trout distributions in the interior Columbia River Basin, USA.
- Rieman, Bruce; Young, Michael; Fausch, Kurt; Dunham, Jason; Peterson, Douglas. 2010. Barriers, invasion, and conservation of native salmonids in coldwater streams [Box 18.2].
- Stone, Katharine R.; Pilliod, David S.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Rhoades, Charles C.; Wollrab, Sherry P.; Young, Michael K. 2010. Fuel reduction management practices in riparian areas of the western USA.
- Wohl, Ellen; Cenderelli, Daniel A.; Dwire, Kathleen A.; Ryan-Burkett, Sandra E.; Young, Michael K.; Fausch, Kurt D. 2010. Large in-stream wood studies: A call for common metrics.
- Young, Michael K.; Schmetterling, David A. 2009. Age-related seasonal variation in captures of stream-borne Boreal Toads (Bufo boreas boreas, Bufonidae) in western Montana.
- Young, Michael K. 2009. Greenback cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii stomias): A technical conservation assessment.
- Fausch, Kurt D.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Dunham, Jason B.; Young, Michael K.; Peterson, Douglas P. 2009. Invasion versus isolation: Trade-offs in managing native salmonids with barriers to upstream movement.
- Lamansky, James A.; Keeley, Ernest R.; Young, Michael K.; Meyer, Kevin A. 2009. The use of hoop nets seeded with mature brook trout to capture conspecifics.
- Peterson, Douglas P.; Reiman, Bruce E.; Dunham, Jason B.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Young, Michael K. 2008. Analysis of trade-offs between threats of invasion by nonnative brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) and intentional isolation for native westslope cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii lewisi).
- Young, Michael K. 2008. Colorado River cutthroat trout: a technical conservation assessment.
- Schmetterling, David A.; Young, Michael K. 2008. Summer movements of boreal toads (Bufo boreas boreas) in two western Montana basins.
- Peterson, Douglas P.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Dunham, Jason B.; Fausch, Kurt D.; Young, Michael K. 2007. Analyzing tradeoffs between the threat of invasion by brook trout and effects of intentional isolation for native westslope cutthroat trout.
- Rader, Russel B.; Belish, Timberley; Young, Michael K.; Rothlisberger, John. 2007. The scotopic visual sensitivity of four species of trout: A comparative study.
- Young, Michael K.; Mace, Ethan A.; Ziegler, Eric T.; Sutherland, Elaine K. 2006. Characterizing and contrasting instream and riparian coarse wood in western Montana basins.
- Fausch, Kurt D.; Rieman, Bruce E.; Young, Michael; Dunham, Jason B. 2006. Strategies for conserving native salmonid populations at risk from nonnative fish invasions: tradeoffs in using barriers to upstream movement.
- Adams, Susan B.; Schmetterling, David A.; Young, Michael K. 2005. Instream movements by boreal toads (Bufo boreas boreas).
- Young, Michael K.; Guenther-Gloss, Paula M.; Ficke, Ashley D. 2005. Predicting cutthroat trout (Oncorhynchus clarkii) abundance in high-elevation streams: revisiting a model of translocation success.
- Dunham, Jason B.; Pilliod, David S.; Young, Michael K. 2004. Assessing the consequences of nonnative trout in headwater ecosystems in western North America.
- Dunham, Jason B.; Young, Michael K.; Gresswell, Robert E.; Rieman, Bruce E. 2003. Effects of fire on fish populations: landscape perspectives on persistence of native fishes and nonnative fish invasions.
- Young, Michael K.; Harig, Amy L.; Rosenlund, Bruce; Kennedy, Chris. 2002. Recovery history of greenback cutthroat trout: population characteristics, hatchery involvement, and bibliography, version 1.0.
- Rauscher, H. Michael; Young, Michael J.; Webb, Charles D.; Robison, Daniel J. 2000. Testing the accuracy of growth and yield models for southern hardwood forests.
- Young, Michael K.; Schmal, R. Nick; Kohley, Thomas W.; Leonard, Victoria G. 1996. Conservation status of Colorado River cutthroat trout.
- Young, Michael K. 1995. Chapter 2. Colorado River cutthroat trout.
- Young, Michael K. 1995. Chapter 6. Synthesis of management and research considerations.
- Young, Michael K. 1995. Conservation assessment for inland cutthroat trout.
|Fire and fish dynamics in a changing climate|
Forest Service scientists are seeking a better understanding how climate change and fire affect native trout.