Scientist, Climate Change Adaptation And Carbon Management
410 MacInnes Dr.
Houghton, MI 49931
Contact Maria Janowiak
As a scientist for climate change adaptation and carbon management at the Northern Institute of Applied Climate Science, I synthesize and communicate the outcomes of forest research related to climate change, carbon, and bioenergy to a wide variety of audiences, including forest landowners, natural resource professionals, scientists, educators, and members of the public. Issues linked to climate change have and will continue to affect the ways in which forests are managed. There is increasing interest in learning how forests will respond to climate change and how we can adapt our forests to new and changing conditions. Additionally, carbon sequestration and bioenergy are key topics in the discussion of how to mitigate levels of atmospheric greenhouse gases.
My primary projects include:
- Michigan Technological University, M.S. Forest Ecology and Management,
- Michigan Technological University, B.S. Forestry,
- Society of American Foresters
- Ecological Society of America
- The Forest Guild
Featured Publications & Products
- Janowiak, Maria K.; Swanston, Christopher W.; Nagel, Linda M.; Webster, Christopher R.; Palik, Brian J.; Twery, Mark J.; Bradford, John B.; Parker, Linda R.; Hille, Andrea T.; Johnson, Sheela M. 2011. Silvicultural decisionmaking in an uncertain climate future: a workshop-based exploration of considerations, strategies, and approaches.
- Swanston, Chris; Janowiak, Maria; Iverson, Louis; Parker, Linda; Mladenoff, David; Brandt, Leslie; Butler, Patricia; St. Pierre, Matt; Prasad, Anantha; Matthews, Stephen; Peters, Matthew; Higgins, Dale; Dorland, Avery. 2011. Ecosystem vulnerability assessment and synthesis: a report from the Climate Change Response Framework Project in northern Wisconsin.
- Nagel, Linda M.; Swanston, Christopher W.; Janowiak, Maria K. 2010. Integrating climate change considerations into forest management tools and training.
Publications & Products
- Janowiak, Maria; Butler, Patricia; Swanston, Chris; St. Pierre, Matt; Parker, Linda. 2012. Adaptation illustrations: Chapter 4.
- Butler, Patricia; Swanston, Chris; Janowiak, Maria; Parker, Linda; St. Pierre, Matt; Brandt, Leslie. 2012. Adaptation strategies and approaches: Chapter 2.
- Janowiak, Maria; Butler, Patricia; Swanston, Chris; Parker, Linda; St. Pierre, Matt; Brandt, Leslie. 2012. Adaptation workbook: Chapter 3.
- Swanston, Chris; Janowiak, Maria; Butler, Patricia. 2012. Climate change response framework overview: Chapter 1.
- Brandt, Leslie; Swanston, Chris; Parker, Linda; Janowiak, Maria; Birdsey, Richard; Iverson, Louis; Mladenoff, David; Butler, Patricia. 2012. Climate change science applications and needs in forest ecosystem management: a workshop organized as part of the northern Wisconsin Climate Change Response Framework Project.
- Swanston, Chris; Janowiak, Maria, eds. 2012. Forest adaptation resources: Climate change tools and approaches for land managers.
- Swanston, Chris; Furniss, Michael J.; Schmitt, Kristen; Guntle, Jeffrey; Janowiak, Maria; Hines, Sarah. 2012. Forest and grassland carbon in North America: A short course for land managers.