My current research focuses on landscape ecology and vegetation ecology, especially as applied to landscape assessments. I work with vegetation ecologists, silviculturists, wildlife ecologists, fish ecologists, hydrologists, and a variety of others to develop methods to perform integrated landscape assessments. Most of my work is aimed at watersheds and larger areas and is done in conjunction with people from the National Forest System, state agencies, universities, and private organizations. I am currently leading a project to develop models and data to cover all major upland ecological systems in Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon, and Washington.
Interaction and modeling of natural disturbances, vegetation development, and management treatments; integrated assessments of ecological conditions, wildfire, insects, and disease; management treatments; wildlife habitats, treatment finances; local community effects; climate change effects; and fuel/fire trends and conditions.
My early work focused on plant communities, forest ecology, wildfire and natural disturbance ecology, and landscape modeling. Much of this emphasized tools that managers and others could use to examine the effects of proposed management on ecological systems and associated values.
Why This Research is Important
My work provides land managers, policymakers, and others with an opportunity to evaluate the potential long-term, landscape-wide effects of different management activities and natural disturbances. This information can help society make natural resource decisions that are both sustainable and move toward things people want from the natural world.
- Western State College of Colorado, B.A. Biology, 1975
- Oregon State University, Ph.D. Plant Ecology, 1979
Featured Publications & Products
- Abt, Karen L.; Prestemon, Jeffrey P.; Skog, Kenneth E.; Barbour, R. James; Hemstrom, Miles A,; Huggett, Robert J., Jr. 2011. Simulations of alternative mechanical thinning treatment programs on western timberland.
- Zhou, Xiaoping; Hemstrom, Miles A. 2010. Timber volume and aboveground live tree biomass estimations for landscape analyses in the Pacific Northwest.
- Hemstrom, Miles A.; Merzenich, James; Burcsu, Theresa; Ohmann, Janet; Singleton, Ryan. 2010. Integrating natural disturbances and management activities to examine risks and opportunities in the central Oregon landscape analysis.
- Zhou, Xiaoping; Hemstrom, Miles A. 2009. Estimating aboveground tree biomass on forest land in the Pacific Northwest: a comparison of approaches.
- Hummel, Susan; Donovan, Geoffrey H.; Spies, Thomas A.; Hemstrom, Miles A. 2008. Conserving biodiversity using risk management: hoax or hope?.
Publications & Products
- Kerns, Becky K.; Hemstrom, Miles A.; Conklin, David; Yospin, Gabriel I.; Johnson, Bart; Bachelet, Dominique; Bridgham, Scott. 2012. Approaches to incorporating climate change effects in state and transition simulation models of vegetation.
- Zhou, Xiaoping; Hemstrom, Miles A. 2012. Forecasting timber, biomass, and tree carbon pools with the output of state and transition models.
- Wondzell, Steven M.; Przeszlowska, Agnieszka; Pflugmacher, Dirk; Hemstrom, Miles A.; Bisson, Peter A. 2012. Modeling the dynamic responses of riparian vegetation and salmon habitat in the Oregon Coast Range with state-and-transition models.
- Hemstrom, Miles A.; Salwasser, Janine; Halofsky, Joshua; Kagan, Jimmy; Comfort, Cyndi. 2012. The integrated landscape assessment project.
- Creutzburg, Megan K.; Halofsky, Joshua S.; Hemstrom, Miles A. 2012. Using state-and-transition models to project cheatgrass and juniper invasion in Southeastern Oregon sagebrush steppe.
- Franklin, Jerry F.; Hemstrom, Miles; Van Pelt, Robert; Buchanan, Joe; Hull, Sabra; Crawford, Rex; Curry, Steve; Obermeyer, Walt. 2007. Extent and Distribution of Old Forest Conditions on DNR-Managed State Trust Lands in Eastern Washington.
- Hemstrom, Miles A.; Merzenich, James; Reger, Allison; Wales, Barbara. 2007. Integrated analysis of landscape management scenarios using state and transition models in the upper Grande Ronde River subbasin, Oregon, USA..
- Spies, Thomas A.; Hemstrom, Miles A.; Youngblood, Andrew; Hummel, Susan. 2006. Conserving old-growth forest diversity in disturbance-prone landscapes..
- Wisdom, Michael J.; Vavra, Martin; Boyd, Jennifer M.; Hemstrom, Miles A.; Ager, Alan A.; Johnson, Bruce K. 2006. Understanding ungulate herbivory—episodic disturbance effects on vegetation dynamics: knowledge gaps and management needs..
- Barbour, R. James; Hemstrom, Miles ; Ager, Alan; Hayes, Jane L. 2005. Effects of spatial scale on the perception and assessment of risk of natural disturbance in forested ecosystems: examples from northeastern Oregon.
- Wisdom, Michael J.; Rowland, Mary M.; Hemstrom, Miles A.; Wales, Barbara C. 2005. Landscape restoration for greater sage-grouse: implications for multiscale planning and monitoring.
- Moeur, Melinda; Spies, Thomas A.; Hemstrom, Miles; Martin, Jon R.; Alegria, James; Browning, Julie; Cissel, John; Cohen, Warren B.; Demeo, Thomas E.; Healey, Sean; Warbington, Ralph. 2005. Northwest Forest Planthe first 10 years (1994-2003): status and trend of late-successional and old-growth forest..
- Guldin, James M.; Cawrse, David; Graham, Russell; Hemstrom, Miles; Joyce, Linda; Kessler, Steve; McNair, Ranotta; Peterson, George; Shaw, Charles G.; Stine, Peter; Twery, Mark; Walter, Jeffrey. 2003. Science Consistency Reviews A Primer for Application.
- Guldin, James M.; Cawrse, David; Graham, Russell; Hemstrom, Miles; Joyce, Linda; Kessler, Steve; McNair, Ranotta; Peterson, George; Shaw, Charles G.; Stine, Peter; Twery, Mark; Walter, Jeffrey. 2003. The Science Consistency Review A Tool To Evaluate the Use of Scientific Information in Land Management Decisionmaking.
- Bunting, Stephen C.; Kingery, James L.; Hemstrom, Miles A.; Schroeder, Michael A.; Gravenmier, Rebecca A.; Hann, Wendel J. 2002. Altered rangeland ecosystems in the interior Columbia basin..
- Hemstrom, Miles A.; Smith, Tim; Evans, Donald; Clifton, Caty; Crowe, Elizabeth; Aitken, Marti. 2002. Midscale analysis of streamside characteristics in the upper Grande Ronde subbasin, northeastern Oregon..
- Hemstrom, Miles; Spies, Thomas; Palmer, Craig; Kiester, Ross; Teply, John; McDonald, Phil; Warbington, Ralph. 1998. Late-successional and old-growth forest effectiveness monitoring plan for the Northwest Forest Plan..
- Brockway, Dale G.; Topik, Christopher; Hemstrom, Miles A.; Emmingham, William H. 1983. Plant association and management guide for the Pacific silver fir zone Gifford Pinchot National Forest..